Is this OCD?

Guest ZenArtist

Guest ZenArtist

Hi Everyone,

For many years when I get stressed about things I begin to think I'm going blind. There is no good reason to think I'm going blind. But once I start staring at everything and trying to figure out if I can see it correctly or not then the doubting begins. I'll think about it all day. I'll go to eye doctors who will tell me my eyes are fine. It's a real drag and usually puts a dent in my commonly fun personality.

I recently broke up with my girlfriend, bought a house, and starting looking for a better job so I have a lot going on. Of course now I think I'm going blind and I KNOW it's all in my head. It actually just occurred to me the other day that it could be some form of OCD.

So I thought I'd ask the experts what their thoughts are on this. Does it sound like OCD? It seems to make sense to me but making sense of the senseless is often frustrating.

I appreciate your feedback,

ZenArtist

Guest raindancing

Hi.

Welcome to the board!

This thought could certainly be OCD-related, but I would be more inclined to say so if you had other symptoms too?

Do you have any other intrusive/repetitive thoughts? Do you have any 'actions' or 'rituals' or things you 'must' do in a certain way etc?

It could be just a stress-related reaction you have maybe? (I am totally guessing there).

Sorry if that's been useless, I am sure someone else will put things a lot better than me, but whatever it comes from, please be sure that you really are NOT going blind or losing your sight. This is a false thought amplified by your stressful situation I would say, and whether or not it is OCD, you won't be going blind hun.

Take care.

'Chelle x

Hiya ZenArtist,

Welcome to the board. :huh:

I'm no medical expert but I read a book about OCD called 'Brainlock' by Dr Jeffrey Schwartz. In it he described a lady who had the same type of thoughts. Whenever she saw an advert on TV about glasses or blindness she would fear that her son would go blind. If you wanted to read it, it's available from the main OCD-UK website.

I have had a similar fear about going deaf, so these fears are not uncommon.

For many years when I get stressed about things I begin to think I'm going blind.  There is no good reason to think I'm going blind.  But once I start staring at everything and trying to figure out if I can see it correctly or not then the doubting begins.

That sounds very OCD'ish to me, seeing that you know that there is no reason for your doubting. . OCD-UK descibes part of OCD saying:

"Most sufferers are actually aware that their obsessions and compulsions are irrational but none the less still feel unable to control them."

I would see a doctor about it and they will be able to help you. There are lots of ways to rid yourselves of these thoughts.

Hope this has helped you.

Love

Gayle

xoxox