Job Interview!!

Guest raindancing

Guest raindancing

Hi folks.

I have just been asked to attend a job interview for a tattoo apprenticeship.

This is my dream job, and chances like this are like the proverbial rocking-horse muck......

I am really worried for a few reasons I will write down now.

1) I am not the typical tattooist looking person, ie, not full of piercings and black hair, metaller etc, so if someone else 'fits' that they will have them not me.

2) The competition may include some with some experience of tattoing, in which case, bye 'Chelle.

3) What if they are all miles better at art than me? I ent no Picasso but I can draw quite well.

4) What if OCD morphs and stops me doing this??? What if I get a blood thing??? Or germs thing??? Or anything that may stop me?

5) I am awaiting word on how long it will be before I get CBT. What if I get the job and then the CBT is during work hours and I have to say where I am going or can't go and get treated or have to choose between CBT and the job?!?!

6) What if I have to tell them I have OCD? And they don't want me working there cos of it? Should I say? Or not? Is it breach of contract if I don't??

:help:

Sorry, I really want this job, but the odds are against me but OCD might mess it up in the future even if by some minor miracle I do get it. :)

Any advice greatly appreciated!

A stress-headed, worried little 'Chelle x :)

Guest Dragonfruit

Hi 'Chelle

I have just been asked to attend a job interview for a tattoo apprenticeship.

This is my dream job, and chances like this are like the proverbial rocking-horse muck......

48507[/snapback]

First of all - CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's fantastic news!! Well done!

I am really worried for a few reasons I will write down now.

48507[/snapback]

Secondly - we all get nervous and worried about interviews - so you're not on your own with that one!

1) I am not the typical tattooist looking person, ie, not full of piercings and black hair, metaller etc, so if someone else 'fits' that they will have them not me.

48507[/snapback]

So what if you're not a stereofit? To my mind that gives you a better chance anyway. And if they give the job to someone who "fits" cos of the way they look then a) they are WRONG to do so and b) would you really want to work for people like that?

2) The competition may include some with some experience of tattoing, in which case, bye 'Chelle.

48507[/snapback]

You've been given an interview. They'll know you don't have any experience and the job is an apprenticeship - you're not supposed to have any experience! Panic not. They wouldn't have asked to see you if they didn't think you could do it.

3) What if they are all miles better at art than me?  I ent no Picasso but I can draw quite well.

48507[/snapback]

And what if they are all a lot worse than you are? Come on - you're there as an apprentice - you're gonna go learn the tools of the trade so to speak. If you already have some talent (which it sounds like you do) you're doing brilliantly. Again - you wouldn't have gotten an interview if they didn't think you could do the job.

4) What if OCD morphs and stops me doing this???  What if I get a blood thing???  Or germs thing???  Or anything that may stop me?

48507[/snapback]

Well - it might. But equally it might not. You can't stop yourself doing something you really want to do on the "what if" doubts. If it does happen you deal with it when the situation arises. If it doesn't - no problem. In the meantime - don't worry about something that may or may not happen. Contrary to my crazy thinking worrying about something doesn't stop it happening - and vice versa - so don't worry. You'll feel a lot better for it!

5) I am awaiting word on how long it will be before I get CBT.  What if I get the job and then the CBT is during work hours and I have to say where I am going or can't go and get treated or have to choose between CBT and the job?!?!

48507[/snapback]

VERY unlikely. You'd need to check your contract but I am fairly sure that it is a basic right to be allowed time off for medical appointments.

Almost all of my appts have been after work and my psych is very flexible with times (works til about 9pm most days) - so I really don't think you need to worry about this one. Like I said though - if you do get appts during the day I am pretty sure you have a legal right to take them.

6) What if I have to tell them I have OCD?  And they don't want me working there cos of it?  Should I say?  Or not?  Is it breach of contract if I don't??

48507[/snapback]

I think you only have to tell them about a medical condition if it is going to have an impact on your ability to perform your duties.

At the moment it's not going to. So I wouldn't make an issue out of it. You shouldn't need to feel like you have to keep it a secret though. My colleagues all know about my OCD and it's not an issue to them. Whether you discuss it as a matter of choice is up to you - but I don't think you need to "declare" it or anything like that.

Sorry, I really want this job, but the odds are against me

48507[/snapback]

They are not!!!! Sounds to me as though you have all the attributes they are looking for - if you didn't they wouldn't have given you an interview, would they? (Sorry - I know I'm repeating myself here - but getting an interview is great - they don't just hand them out to anyone who applies!!)

but OCD might mess it up in the future

48507[/snapback]

Yeah - it could. But it's more likely that it won't. You're going to be starting CBT - you have no concerns about the OCD affecting your ability to work at the moment - there's no reason why this should change - esp with the CBT, you'd find a way to deal even if things did change.

Don't worry about what MIGHT happen - concentrate on what you WANT to happen.

Now - go get that job!! :)

Guest Pootle

'chelle....

Way to many "what ifs" there honey- we all "what if" everyday I know but PLEASE...

GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK AND CROSS EACH BRIDGE WHEN YOU COME TO IT!!!!!!

V

xx

Guest ScottOCDid

Maybe that'll work in your favour; maybe some people who would otherwise want a tattoo feel slightly out-of-place when greeted by the stereotypical figure?

Agree with DF - you've been invited to interview based on what you do have to offer.

3) What if they are all miles better at art than me?  I ent no Picasso but I can draw quite well.

Play to your strengths and draw well!  Take a small portfolio of pics with you to demonstrate your talents and show enthusiasm.

4) What if OCD morphs and stops me doing this???  What if I get a blood thing???  Or germs thing???  Or anything that may stop me?

Never try to foresee what your OCD might do - you'll only lose opportunities by doing so.  If it would be your ideal job, seize the chance and don't let OCD be the dictator.

5) I am awaiting word on how long it will be before I get CBT.  What if I get the job and then the CBT is during work hours and I have to say where I am going or can't go and get treated or have to choose between CBT and the job?!?!

Assess this one when the time comes.  If there's no time conflict (there might not be) you don't even need to mention it.  If you do need to take time off, you're entitled to do so - or you could try to swap shifts with someone else if you want to play it low-key?

6) What if I have to tell them I have OCD?  And they don't want me working there cos of it?  Should I say?  Or not?  Is it breach of contract if I don't??

If this becomes an issue at any point (and it needn't be now), medical conditions should only ever be taken into consideration if it can be proved that it affects your ability to perform in the role.  At this stage, you shouldn't need to mention it at all.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Stay cool! :blushing: Good luck! :puke:

48507[/snapback]

Guest raindancing

Thanks guys, I know this should be me right here --- :puke:

Just flapping.

First interview in like 5 YEARS (degree etc etc)

By the way, they have not seen my drawing, I just had my name on their records after writing a letter some time ago, hence the nerves, wouldn't be as bad had they asked me there on the strength of work already seen!!

ANYWAY, just gonna carry on drawing this week and hope I do some good stuff. And the image thing, well, one day I want to open my own studio with white walls, sofas and 'normal' looking staff, lol. Seriously, big biker tattooists, scary...

Thanks again, just needed a slap there eh... :blushing:

'Chelle x