Come camping and meet others with OCD - this weekend 14th-16th June 2013

Dear All

As in previous years I'm organising two camping weekends for members of OCD-UK, and the next one is coming up this weekend!

The weekend is open to OCD-UK members. If you're affected by OCD and would like to meet others in the same position in a safe and supportive environment and have some fun too, you can come and join us with a tent or caravan, or stay nearby in a B&B, or come for the day.

For full details see this thread in the members only section http://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?showtopic=54705

People who haven't been before are especially welcome.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen

Hi,

I have had a bit of a nosedive recently and this sounds like a good opportunity to gain some much needed support and perspective.

I will speak with my wife and would love to come. The prospect of being able to talk face to face with someone like me is overwhelming and would be a first.

Will it be acceptable to talk through aspects of the illness ? I guess there is a fine line between reassurance seeking and positive discussion but I guess at times the two go hand in hand.

Hi njb

Yes talking about OCD will be very acceptable. I run OCD Support Groups so am well used to this. The camping weekends are different in that they allow more time for social chat about other things but we usually find we end up talking about OCD for part of the time at least.

You would be very welcome.

Please post anything further about the weekend over on the other forum post so other campers can reply if they would like.

All the best and I hope you can come (please let me know by Friday morning if at all possible)

Stephen

Guest orange socks

can i just add to this thread how helpful and uplifting these camping trips are .

i have been to a couple in the past and they have literally been a super shiny experience in my otherwise mundane and very lonely world

if you are thinking about going but just a little bit nervous or hesitant please dont be - i promise (from personal experience) that Stephen (and the other people that i have met on the trips) have been so welcoming and you will be warmly welcomed and understood - please dont let fear or nerves stop you

i had really big trouble going at first and was hiding behind people - boy was i glad i went afterwards

dont hesitate guys - really....please dont hesitate

stephen thankyou for your time and effort in organising these trips - you are a super shiny diamond of a person :)

Edited by orange socks

Thank you Orange Socks :) :) :)

Please let me know by tomorrow if at all possible though :) (all info over on the other thread linked above)

Edited by Stephen
Guest orange socks

two very sureal posts above - think i have dropped into a parallel universe :blink: :D

erm...... lofg......i guess thats up to you :)

orladavid....how about a b&b where the emphasis is on getting people better rather than encouraging negative behaviour ....its not a common feeling to ENJOY cleaning amongst sufferers......they are doing it out of utter distress and extreme anxiety.....even terror- so maybe your friends are winding you up a bit or only have mild ocd???

i dont think there is a gap in the market for a b&b like this ....maybe a gap in the market for one where cbt, therapies and other positive things were offered....but definately not 1 like your describing

just a thought .........and just my personal opinion though :)

Edited by orange socks

I agree with Orange Socks about the surreal nature of the above two comments.

I'm not out to ban any private legal and safe activity by consenting partners, regardless of any personal views I may have, but sex is certainly not the focus of the camping weekend!. I would also like to emphasise that my aim is that everyone who comes is safe and feels comfortable. Any unwanted attention will be dealt with. (I suspect the post was intended to be a little provocative so I won't comment further)

As to the other post about a B&B for OCD sufferers I welcome the interest but like Orange Socks I think the focus should be on getting better from OCD not accommodating it. However a B&B where people can talk to others about OCD in a supportive environment, while a little unexpected, might be good.

Let's draw a line under both these and get back to this weekend's camping, please. Please post further on the other thread if you're interested in coming.

Thank you

Stephen

Edited by Stephen

Hi lofg

Yes humour is a great bonus when we have OCD. I actually encourage it in the support groups I run. However the joke didn't seem quite appropriate for the context so hope you'll understand my reaction.

Thanks ThreeClicks :)

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I've now posted the details of the next camping weekend on 13th-15th September in Edale, Derbyshire. Please see full details on this link http://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?showtopic=54705&p=470672 and post further comments there.

Thank you and I hope to see some new campers there :)

Stephen

Edited by Stephen