Spring Watch OCD comment

I just heard Chris Packham, presenter of the BBC's "Spring Watch" nature program make a flippant comment about OCD. A bird tidying around its nest was "a bit OCD," according to him.

Really, Mr Packham. I thought you were a scientist. You ought to know better!

Guest orange socks

Don't you think though mate, that its good that ocd is becoming a household word and used in everyday language...

Gosh when I first had it I spent the first 25 years having never heard the word ocd and consequently never knowing it was a specific condition I was suffering from.

Im just glad I hear the phrase now in any context.....at least people can google something now and see if they do have it and get help.....

Guest legend

positive in one aspect yeah Hayley. total and utter rollox to use a misconstrued term of ocd though. in fact could put people off as its seen as little trait that

all could have

oh ive got a cough, I must have a bit of lung cancer

Guest orange socks

I don't know mate......I guess we just see things differently....... I do think everyone is a little bit ocd except my husband ....who has no traits what so ever ironically !

I don't seem to get offended by these things that so many suffers do get bothered by ......I see it as a positive thing that ocd is mentioned.

I guess we're all just different aren't we :-) we all have a different way of seeing things....and no one is right and no one is wrong....we're just different :-)

Guest legend

I don't get offended , just annoyed

I actually felt a little bit of ocd creep in the other day, so I had to implement cbt techniques Ive learnt to prevent it creeping back

do others with a little bit of ocd do that ?

just saying ;0)

legend

Don't you think though mate, that its good that ocd is becoming a household word and used in everyday language...

Not at all, for every flippant comment about OCD it trivialises the suffering that those of us with OCD feel. It damages the good awareness work of charities like OCD-UK and OCD Action with every flippant comment.

Sorry, guys, but if people in general think that OCD is a funny little personality quirk, and influential public figures like TV presenters continue to portray it as such, then I'm just gonna keep on complaining.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (I tend to give it its full name in conversation to help remind people of its true meaning. I think that the term "OCD" has become a convenient buzzword) is a serious mental disease which ruined my life for many years and I have not quite managed to rid myself of it, even after successful CBT treatment. I know it has affected many people this way. It brings a lot of pain and misery to sufferers and those close to them. In extreme cases, it can claim the sufferer's life (I have heard of victims being poisoned to death by antiseptic fumes and starving to death as they were unable to eat as a direct result of their compulsions and rituals.) Even though my condition is much improved, I still struggle with every Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder every day.

Sorry again for preaching (to the converted around these parts, I'm sure!) but Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is a serious condition. People will not learn this fact while it is joked about in the media.

Edited by newman
Guest orange socks

I guess its just the way I see things....... always different than the majority me :rolleyes:

I do feel the suffering.......so much more than I ever let on to anyone......yet I still don't feel like the condition is trivialised by comments like these......

I just think the general public are intelligent enough to realize that there are varying degrees of severity.

Sorry......its just the way I see it xx

Edited by orange socks

This is a tough one.

The problem is OCD has become such a colloquial term that most people probably mean no harm in saying it but don't realise how debilitating the problem actually is! Also I really believe most people are referring to the personality disorder when they use this term. It's a shame that this is the case though.

It's almost like when someone says 'I'm a little bit depressed'. Now many of us are familiar with depression too and know how horrible it is but it's such a part of everyday language that people will just use the term without actually understanding what they are saying.

Personally I think the best thing is awareness, make people more aware so that they can recognise it and seek help. I absolutely disagree with anyone who tries to trivialize it but a lot of the time that isn't what people are doing, they're just ignorant of the actual disease. So education and awareness is key!

Guest orange socks

You make some good points nic.......

I do agree that awareness is important......how else will people see and learn ......and suffers be encouraged to seek help.

Awareness is key

Guest orange socks

We'll be debating this topic for the next 30 years :-) lol

We just see things differently....... no one is right .....no one is wrong.

Just different.

Must go now.......I fell of a horse statue in york and i need an x ray :-) lol

I think Legend is exactly right, good awareness . not crass flippant awareness. Crass flippant awareness is damaging. Some things are not about opinions, some things are facts.

Guest legend

As long as I continue to help raise awareness of obsessive compulsive disorder, I will not sit back and allow flippant/crass comments like

"im a little ocd" be banded around, because it will and does affect peoples views of of the top ten most debilitating illnesses in the world

It isn't awareness one bit Hayley.

And ill discuss it for the next 30 years if you want to, but one hopes that with my approach and other charitys, that we wont have to.

legend

We'll be debating this topic for the next 30 years :-) lol

We just see things differently....... no one is right .....no one is wrong.

Just different.

Must go now.......I fell of a horse statue in york and i need an x ray :-) lol

Guest orange socks

I respect your opinions guys......though they are not ones I share I do totally respect them .

I too will continue to raise awareness of ocd .....we're all fighting this together......lets keep up the good work :-)

If we spent as much time fighting ocd as we do each other none of us would have it :lol: :D

Edited by orange socks
Guest orange socks

Have to just add....I am sorry guys that I do see things a bit differently......I don't express my comments to deliberately upset and I hope it doesn't come across that way..... It is genuinely just how I see things .

I do absolutely respect your way of seeing things guys......and I do totally respect you and wish you well. It upsets me greatly that so many of us suffer so badly with ocd ......I know it's hard to express oneself on a forum with just words without being misunderstood.....but please know that I wish you well guys and I am sorry that my opinions may offend.

Xxx

Guest legend

you haven't offended h. everyone has there opinions and right to discuss, and as long as we attack the discussion and not the person, then that's cool x

I too hope I did not offend anyone. I think the fact we can have these discussions is only going to help the cause and I would like to say that the work OCD-UK do to raise awareness of this terrible disease is second to none. At my lowest points this forum has been a great source of strength for me and I know many others too. Thank you OCD-UK!