Combating side effects of Prozac

Guest Shell

what sort of side effects do you have? If they are too unpleasant, discuss with your doc.... also apparently they lessen as you continue taking them... I however luckily apperanced any side effects so I cant really help, sorry

Hi,

Firstly, how long have you been taking Prozac? If it is only a few days then i would advise you to hang on in there. Common side effects of SSRI's include things like anxiety, shakiness etc.....but these do tend to pass quickly. In that respect how long have you been experiencing the side effects? If it is more than a couple of weeks you may want to go back and check this out with the doctor.

With regard your query re: natural remedies for coping with side effects once again the doctor is the man to talk to. It is likely however they would advise against things like St Johns Wort as it interacts with the SSRIs. For things such as Kalms etc...i aint so sure.

Hope that has helped and that you feel better soon

Adam

Guest Shell

Thanks for both of your replies, think I will go and have a chat with my therapist when I see him in a few days. Side effects have been long term so maybe a change is in order.

Hope you are both well :thumbup:

Guest ScottOCDid

Hi Shell,

Good to hear from you again :)

I'm afraid I can't help with the medical advice itself... but definitiely worth having a chat with your therapist, especially with the appointment coming up soon. You seemed to be making very positive steps forward when we chatted at Bristol; you deserve for your efforts to be rewarded!

Take care,

Scott

:D

Guest raindancing

Hiya.

I've been on Prozac.....

It depends on your side effects mate, but if it's anything like sleep disturbance, anxiety, shakes etc etc, then herbal options to consider would be

Chamomile (tea if you can stomach it) or a cream rubbed into temples, it's a calming herb and also aides sleep.

Lavender will do the same, perhaps a lavender oil burner during the day, lavender under the pillow at night?

If you are losing sleep, another oil that will 'perk you up' if you're tired in the day is peppermint. This is also good as a tea if you get any of the 'tummy' problems of some anti-D's.

If you go for St. John's Wort, get the 1 a day Kira ones, the cheaper ones are so weak there's no point.

BUT before you do any of this, check with your gp first to make sure it's all ok.

Hope that helped.

'Chelle x

Side effects have been long term so maybe a change is in order.

If the side effects have been long term you need to discuss it with your GP, be prepared to be assertive, my own experience is that they are often waved aside :D

Steer clear of St.Johns Wort if taking SSRI's.

Valerian's quite good, another preparation called Avena Sativa, Bach remedies : White Chestnut, Rock Rose, Sweet Chestnut, are worth trying. Not sure that they'll remedy side effects but they may aid a little with the condition and not too expensive to experiment with

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shell

Hi everyone

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply - I am only able to log on occasionally. Thanks for all your replies - am going to go and investigate at my local health shop over the weekend.

Also spoke to my therapist and he gave some suggestions.

Just off now for a de-stress in the bath after a very long day - always a winner for helping the OCD when its been a challenging day!

Thanks again and hope you are all well :thumbup:

Rebecca x