Extreme OCD Camp

Guest OCD-UK RSS

Guest OCD-UK RSS
OCD Camp - BBC Three

Following the controversy surrounding the recent awful Channel 4’s Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners, a series which was masquerading as some kind of serious OCD programme, this week the first of three new, and hopefully much improved OCD programmes hits the screen on BBC Three this Tuesday at 9pm. Two more OCD documentaries are due to be broadcast on ITV and Channel 4 later this year.

A two-parter, BBC Three's Extreme OCD Camp (we can forgive them the title, if the programme is good) follows six young sufferers as they travel to Seattle in the US for a radical treatment programme (their words, not ours). One of those featured is Olivia, who OCD-UK members will remember shared her story in our July 2012 Compulsive Reading magazine. We asked her how she found the experience of taking part in the OCD Camp.

"It was the most amazing time of my life; met such incredible and received such valuable help! It's definitely changed me for the better; my OCD has really improved since I went away. Olivia told us.

She went on to say, "I think being around five other people that knew exactly where I was coming from, was so helpful. I didn't have to hide any of my rituals or lie about what I was doing because I was embarrassed; it was so refreshing to just be able to tell them why I was ritualising and have them support me.

"Really incredible experience. I hope the show is well received!"

Do Tweet us, or tell us via Facebook or our forums what you think of the programmes, and we will add some of your comments to this page later in the week.

View the article on the OCD-UK website

Well done to Olivia and Josh on Daybreak. It was a shame Daybreak didn't have a health professional there to explain how devastating OCD is, rather than quoting the usual 'David Beckham' etc suffers from OCD

Guest legend

I am really looking forward to it im just praying that there is someone with HOCD on it or pure-o at least and not just the stereotypical OCD

he has thoughts of punching him in the face.... opening line

there ya go alex

Guest thewelshdragon

I will watch it on iplayer later. Also there is a guy on 'Failed by the NHS' programme with OCD as well, and they mention mindfulness techniques on it too.

Guest Missocd21

In the UK there's a programme come on on bbc three about people with OCD going to camp to try different therapys however I notice they don't have anyone with OCD where they worry about harming children or anything to do with thinking your a peadophile which I think is upsetting because its not showing people what those with that type of intrusive thoughts have.

Guest kiddo

In the UK there's a programme come on on bbc three about people with OCD going to camp to try different therapys however I notice they don't have anyone with OCD where they worry about harming children or anything to do with thinking your a peadophile which I think is upsetting because its not showing people what those with that type of intrusive thoughts have.

I was hoping that would be there, my hopes were dashed.

Guest Leighbee

i agree its disappointing and annoying that this form of OCD (which i have) is ignored. So many OCD sufferers have this form but yet its never talked about outside a forum like this. One day maybe this will change.

There is someone on there who has intrusive thoughts that they might hit someone. I think anyone who takes part in a program like this should be applauded for their bravery. It doesn't matter what type of OCD they have, OCD is OCD is OCD. For those people it will likely be the worst fear they can imagine.

Can you imagine going on national TV and telling people that you have intrusive thoughts that you might be a paedophile, with your family, friends and enemies watching it? Then one of them misses the point or is too ignorant to understand it and thinks you actually ARE a paedophile, it spreads around everyone who knows you, the tabloids get hold of it, you are harassed and hounded, all because either the TV company got it wrong or some moron watching it did? Speaking from my own experience it's scary talking to the media about any type of OCD; harm OCD, despite being the most common type, seems even more frightening to talk about, even with MH professionals. Yes we need more media exposure of the harm OCD types but in order for that to happen sufferers need to be willing to speak with good-quality, empathic and genuine media when requests come in.

Guest legend

I heard that but theres been nothing on it since

symmetry , touching things to prevent bad things from happning that's 2 of them

what was you anticipating to happen ? in regards to different ocd

Guest Missocd21

That's true! I guess even though I have that type of OCD didn't think of it like that and I mean it really upset my OCD because it sort of made me feel worse and that it shouldn't be talked about. That's why I said it because of how hurt it made me feel.