Extreme OCD Camp

Guest OCD-UK RSS

All I worry about now is the stigma of having worried about it. this in itself is an obsession. The actual original paedophile obsession was a lot less worse than most have. I was in my early twenties and an obsessive worry developed that I fancied teenage girls. I didn't! The obsession passed when diagnosed with ocd. But I still have to live with the fact my medical records now say that I worried about being a paedophile. And be treated as a potential threat when I'm not. (or at least I worry I'll be treated as a potential threat).

This is so similiar Niki's story, her OCD got worse not about the OCD itself, but because she spoke about it in a group session and in public. I think Niki who is so much better now will be sharing her story at this years conference.

that's interesting to hear. I'll have to listen to it. Good to hear others have my obsessions! I think the only way for me to now get over it is not to be ashamed of it. I always worry about what if it got out etc. I'd lose my job. never get a girlfriend etc. what if a new gp thinks I made up ocd/doesn't understand. seeing these written down, these worries look so ocd. but they also seem plausible to me. I know these are all ocd fears. But doesn't make them less distressing.

I actually think it would be quite cathartic to talk about it in the open. Maybe I would be willing to talk about it in next year's conference.

Btw sponsored you in your bike ride. good luck. this website/charity is an amazing resource and deserves funding.

Also, on your recommended private therapists bit, it might be worth adding a few more. or asking members for recommendations. I actually see one of the ones you mention but I imagine that there are others in other bits of the UK that would benefit from closer ones. There must be other ex maudsley trained therapists around that are good. The babcp website is rather daunting and just because someone knows a bit about cbt, doesn't mean they know about ocd. Maybe your therapists could recommend others.

Guest orange socks (2)

Well according to the official figures ....if digital spy is seen to be reputable ? BBC Three's new documentary series Extreme OCD Camp interested 528k (2.4%) at 9pm.

That's not too bad is it...... Not too bad at all . :)

Ratings dropped a bit for the final part of ocd boot camp 450k (1.9%) ....still okay though isn't it :)

What I wanna know is how big brother got 1.7 million viewers :rolleyes:

Info from digital spy ratings forum thingie

Edited by orange socks (2)

Ratings dropped a bit for the final part of ocd boot camp 450k (1.9%) ....still okay though isn't it :)

What I wanna know is how big brother got 1.7 million viewers :rolleyes:

Info from digital spy ratings forum thingie

Because Channel 5 are incredibly smart. I have been watching BB this year and I must admit it has been highly entertaining. Slightly contrived, but good. I really don't think viewing figures matter. 450k is still a huge number, especially on a non-terrestrial television network (if it can still be defined that way).

Guest orange socks (2)

Because Channel 5 are incredibly smart. I have been watching BB this year and I must admit it has been highly entertaining. Slightly contrived, but good. I really don't think viewing figures matter. 450k is still a huge number, especially on a non-terrestrial television network (if it can still be defined that way).

I guess in one sense viewing figures perhaps don't matter...... But I suppose I was kinda interested in them as I am passionate about raising awareness of ocd and interested in the effectivness of any media work that goes out ....... Only because I suffered for over 30 years not even knowing what the condition was called or that there were any other sufferers.

I just wondered if the way the programme had been portrayed had captured the heart of the viewing public and if viewers of the first part had cared enough to tune back in to see the fate of the brave volunteers

I also wondered about the effectivness of the radio programmes and publicity that had gone out for the programme ....so the figures were of interest to me,

Rather a programme of quality with fewer figures than massive figures watching tosh though .

I think they were respectable figures anyway :)

P.s course the figures don't reflect those watching on play back etc ....so I guess they are inaccurate anyway

Edited by orange socks (2)
Guest legend

Whats important also, is that the "ripple" affect it has on social networking

I noticed that during last weeks programme it started to "trend" which indicates mass knowledge being spread about

Whats important also, is that the "ripple" affect it has on social networking

I noticed that during last weeks programme it started to "trend" which indicates mass knowledge being spread about

Ye i also have added all the people from the camp on facebook and i have been speaking to the Josh guy with the symmetry ocd good to speak to fellow suffers !

Guest Elle Belle

I thought it was blimmin' brilliant. I do think they could have given a smidgen more time to explaining that the fear if harming somebody was just that - a fear; and that he would never do it. But I'm nit picking. I loved it.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest carefulgirl

I just discovered this program. I could really relate to the feelings of anxiety and frustration that all of the people were going through while doing CBT. It was very well done, and provides great insight into OCD.

• 7 months later...