Recently Diagnosed and needing advice

Guest LissyR

Guest LissyR

Hey guys, I have been having symptoms for just over a year and last week I was diagnosed. Next week I get my prescription and in a few weeks I'm due to start CBT. My OCD is tapping things, keeping my feet clean and my bedroom in the perfect order. I have trouble sleeping (I haven't slept for several days and before that when I have slept it's not for long and filled with bad thoughts about harm to my family) I was just wondering if anyone knew a way to stop the thoughts so I could get a night of sleep that's not interrupted by a voice telling me to vacuum or cut myself :(

Guest worriedmum

HI LissyR

Just wanted to say that I am glad you have been diagnosed and will soon start treatment and therapy. I don't have OCD myself, but my son (now 15) suffered with it a few years ago. He had a lot of night-time rituals/checks and fears etc. that made it difficult to get to sleep. He found that the CBT really did help him, although it took some time. They also gave him a relaxation CD to listen to. Not everyone likes that kind of thing, but it can be helpful to listen to relaxing sounds or music to help take your mind off your worries. Do make sure you mention your problem with sleep to your CBT therapist. They should be able to give you some helpful advice.

Hope you don't have to wait too long before you start your CBT. It will be a long road, but CBT really can be a huge help to people with OCD. Let us know how you get on. Take care.

Guest LissyR

HI LissyR

Just wanted to say that I am glad you have been diagnosed and will soon start treatment and therapy. I don't have OCD myself, but my son (now 15) suffered with it a few years ago. He had a lot of night-time rituals/checks and fears etc. that made it difficult to get to sleep. He found that the CBT really did help him, although it took some time. They also gave him a relaxation CD to listen to. Not everyone likes that kind of thing, but it can be helpful to listen to relaxing sounds or music to help take your mind off your worries. Do make sure you mention your problem with sleep to your CBT therapist. They should be able to give you some helpful advice.

Hope you don't have to wait too long before you start your CBT. It will be a long road, but CBT really can be a huge help to people with OCD. Let us know how you get on. Take care.

Thank you, I start it on Wednesday but im quite scared

what do they do at cbt, sorry I don't really understand how it works

They get to know you and ask you questions like how you've been feeling and take that into there mind and come up with ways to help you. It's nothing scary they don't frown down on you, they just listen.