Hey! New to this and introducing myself :)

Guest LissyR

Guest LissyR

Heyy! My name is Felicity, I'm 15 and recently diagnosed with OCD and was advised to use this so here I am I guess :) My OCD is intrusive thoughts, tapping, keeping my feet clean and my bedroom in the perfect order. I'm here if anyone ever wants a chat and I just really like it that everyone on here understands, I think that's cool so yeah :)

Guest Sisyphus

Heyy! My name is Felicity, I'm 15 and recently diagnosed with OCD and was advised to use this so here I am I guess :) My OCD is intrusive thoughts, tapping, keeping my feet clean and my bedroom in the perfect order. I'm here if anyone ever wants a chat and I just really like it that everyone on here understands, I think that's cool so yeah :)

Hi Felicity,

Well done for signing up and saying hello. See you on the forums.

David.

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I more or less stumbled across this forum by mistake, but feel that it has changed my life, my perspective, and I now look at my OCD differently. I'm due to start CBT in a week or so, and I totally can't wait to get this show on the road now!

Guest LissyR

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I more or less stumbled across this forum by mistake, but feel that it has changed my life, my perspective, and I now look at my OCD differently. I'm due to start CBT in a week or so, and I totally can't wait to get this show on the road now!

kindof similar to me!! I was recently diagnosed and one of the things my doctor suggested i could do to help myself before i start cbt (hopefully in a few weeks) was find a support group, i found this and im so glad i did!!

kindof similar to me!! I was recently diagnosed and one of the things my doctor suggested i could do to help myself before i start cbt (hopefully in a few weeks) was find a support group, i found this and im so glad i did!!

Ah brill. I haven't seen my GP as I don't feel comfortable talking with him about it. It's just something I know I've had for years.

Guest LissyR

Ah brill. I haven't seen my GP as I don't feel comfortable talking with him about it. It's just something I know I've had for years.

ahh, I didn't want to, my parents got fed up of me staying in they dragged me along,it was so awkward

Guest Sisyphus

ahh, I didn't want to, my parents got fed up of me staying in they dragged me along,it was so awkward

Seems to be a running theme on here - people staying in for fear of exposing themselves to potential triggers or allowing people to see their OCD behaviour. Well you're very young L so throw everything you've got at the CBT and try and change your outlook on the OCD so you are in control instead of it(this is me regurgitating something from a book - I haven't done any of this yet - OCD is still totally kicking my #ss) Edited by Sisyphus
Guest LissyR

ahahaha, thanks! I just want to get rid of it cos I cant imagine having a whole life of this, that would just be too hard

hope yours gets sorted too, ocd sucks and no-one deserves to have to do this

Did they understand? Did they listen? Were they helpful?

no way, they don't understand at all. they think I choose to do it

Ahh right :( that's a shame. My mum understands. I've not spoken to my dad about it, but my mum may have told him. My sister has it as well, so they're pretty "with it" when it comes to OCD! (Oswald)

Guest Sisyphus

ahahaha, thanks! I just want to get rid of it cos I cant imagine having a whole life of this, that would just be too hard

hope yours gets sorted too, ocd sucks and no-one deserves to have to do this

I couldn't have put it any better.

There's an element of acute unfairness to it that sometimes enrages me.

But I think it's good to look around and appreciate that it's all relative. e.g. I look at my mum's friend who lived a normal life up till 20, then out of nowhere was very suddenly cut in two by rheumatoid arthritis which very quickly reduced her to a withered little house-bound ball for the next 60 years, during which time she was mostly devoid of outside contact, and held hostage/done over for years by a two-faced malevolant carer. The last time we saw her before she died she'd recently been pushed of her shower seat by an inexperienced carer, breaking bones and removing the skin from the top of her head.

Or a friend's very young daughter who just found out she's got leukemia.

I know that looking at other people's problems doesn't actually change one bit how much OCD sucks and sometimes you can be overloaded on that kind of thing, but maybe helps put it in perspective a little. Or at least feel not alone.

I hope you can get the upper hand with your OCD through therapy, meditation and reading L. The fact you've identified what it is and are taking proactive steps so young is pretty impressive so I'd say there's lot of hope.

Edited by Sisyphus
Guest LissyR

But I think it's good to look around and appreciate that it's all relative. e.g. I look at my mum's friend who lived a normal life up till 20, then out of nowhere was very suddenly cut in two by rheumatoid arthritis which very quickly reduced her to a withered little house-bound ball for the next 60 years, during which time she was mostly devoid of outside contact, and held hostage/done over for years by a two-faced malevolant carer. The last time we saw her before she died she'd recently been pushed of her shower seat by an inexperienced carer, breaking bones and removing the skin from the top of her head.

I know that looking at other people's problems doesn't actually change one bit how much OCD sucks and sometimes you can be overloaded on that kind of thing, but maybe helps put it in perspective a little. Or at least feel not alone.

I hope you can get the upper hand with your OCD through therapy, meditation and reading L. The fact you've identified what it is and are taking proactive steps so young is pretty impressive so I'd say there's lot of hope.

wow. that's really interesting, i'd never thought about how other people have other illnesses that cant be cured so actually in some ways OCD is better, not easy by a long way but a lot easier. thank you

Guest LissyR

Ahh right :( that's a shame. My mum understands. I've not spoken to my dad about it, but my mum may have told him. My sister has it as well, so they're pretty "with it" when it comes to OCD! (Oswald)

lucky you, I wish mine were. but I suppose I'm the first person they've known with it so they'll just have to get used to it, and I don't know a lot about it myself so the more I learn the more I can teach them

It really does infuriate me when I hear about old folk being treated badly. I just imagine my nan being treated like that, and it makes me so upset. That's why my mum refused to put her in a home. I don't know if any of you are Royle Family fans, but it was the exact same situation as in the 'Queen of Sheba' episode (it was a Christmas episode) where nana came to live with them as she was getting old and frail and couldn't live by herself anymore. Now if you can also imagine, that we all thought Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash had actually met my dad when they wrote Jim's character, and that episode moves me to tears every time ?

lucky you, I wish mine were. but I suppose I'm the first person they've known with it so they'll just have to get used to it, and I don't know a lot about it myself so the more I learn the more I can teach them

It was the same with my husband. But now he tells me the thoughts aren't a reflection of me, but of the disease, so I think bit by bit he's learning as I am. Your parents could well be the same :)

Guest Sisyphus

wow. that's really interesting, i'd never thought about how other people have other illnesses that cant be cured so actually in some ways OCD is better, not easy by a long way but a lot easier. thank you

Well it's true - it sucks but it could always be suckier. By the way when the crazy lady uses the word "Oswald" she'd referring to OCD. We're trying to make Oswald a thing. Edited by Sisyphus
Guest Sisyphus

It really does infuriate me when I hear about old folk being treated badly. I just imagine my nan being treated like that, and it makes me so upset. That's why my mum refused to put her in a home. I don't know if any of you are Royle Family fans, but it was the exact same situation as in the 'Queen of Sheba' episode (it was a Christmas episode) where nana came to live with them as she was getting old and frail and couldn't live by herself anymore. Now if you can also imagine, that we all thought Caroline Aherne and Craig Cash had actually met my dad when they wrote Jim's character, and that episode moves me to tears every time

My mum's a big fan of it and I've seen a couple. I remember them as husband and wife on Brookside 30 years ago. Fair play to your mum not putting her in a home. I have an awful lot of respect for anyone who does that. Impossible sometimes though with alzheimers/dementia.
Guest LissyR

My mum's a big fan of it and I've seen a couple. I remember them as husband and wife on Brookside 30 years ago. Fair play to your mum not putting her in a home. I have an awful lot of respect for anyone who does that. Impossible sometimes though with alzheimers/dementia.

I have a lot of respect and pride for your mum being strong and brave enough to do that. I think those that are ill or unable to look after themselves are often taken advantage of and that's sad that in our society people will abuse the people who need help most.

oh and thanks for explaining the Oswald thing, I was wondering aha

Guest Sisyphus

I have a lot of respect and pride for your mum being strong and brave enough to do that. I think those that are ill or unable to look after themselves are often taken advantage of and that's sad that in our society people will abuse the people who need help most.

That's very insightful for 15. I agree.

Yeah thought you might be wondering!

Well it's true - it sucks but it could always be suckier. By the way when the crazy lady uses the word "Oswald" she'd referring to OCD. We're trying to make Oswald a thing.

Basically, David wants to set a trend. He's having a bit of a god complex at the moment...

so when do we use Oswald? do we use it instead of saying OCD or are we trying to get it trending on twitter?

Oh, don't put that idea in David's head!!

But yes, we're both sick of the acronym OCD at the moment!

Yes, although of course I wasn't even born 30 years ago :p

Yes, they even bought another house in order to accommodate, and fortunately she didn't suffer with dementia until almost the end. She started going downhill when my uncle, her son, died before she did :(

I know. I'd like to think that I would to the same for her when the time comes. But that all depends on the situation at the time. I'd hate to think of either of my parents in a home though.