Hey! New to this and introducing myself :)

Guest LissyR

Guest LissyR

I know. I'd like to think that I would to the same for her when the time comes. But that all depends on the situation at the time. I'd hate to think of either of my parents in a home though.

that's true, I suppose while no-one wants to dump family in a home sometimes its better for them, I guess its a balance between the care they will get externally and the care you're able to give?

Guest LissyR

Oh, don't put that idea in David's head!!

But yes, we're both sick of the acronym OCD at the moment!

ahahaha Oswald is clever, its quite a cool name anyway though

that's true, I suppose while no-one wants to dump family in a home sometimes its better for them, I guess its a balance between the care they will get externally and the care you're able to give?

Sure. Not everyone would have the space to add another person to their homestead. Then there's the money and time factors as well. I know my mum struggled and she's more or less retired!

Guest LissyR

Sure. Not everyone would have the space to add another person to their homestead. Then there's the money and time factors as well. I know my mum struggled and she's more or less retired!

awww well it sounds like she made the right decision for her even if it was draining

Guest Sisyphus

Yes, although of course I wasn't even born 30 years ago :p

Yes, they even bought another house in order to accommodate, and fortunately she didn't suffer with dementia until almost the end. She started going downhill when my uncle, her son, died before she did :(

Happens every time. Very sad that.

So wait - you're younger than 30? I mustve got my wires crossed somewhere. Oh god I've been talking to you with far too much respect in that case. (lowering Mrsp respect filter). So yeah - cmon explain yourself ... you big stupid face.

Guest Sisyphus

All the boss' idea!

You know when you start something innocently and it snowballs and before you know it it's taken on a life of its own and then you get the blame and then you trace it all back to the one moment where it all got out of hand. Well I think that moment just happened :blowup:

Guest LissyR

You know when you start something innocently and it snowballs and before you know it it's taken on a life of its own and then you get the blame and then you trace it all back to the one moment where it all got out of hand. Well I think that moment just happened :blowup:

ahahahaah it was a good moment!! it could have been so much worse!! there could have been twitter campaigns, and pictures, and spams and tv adverts1

Guest Sisyphus

ahahahaah it was a good moment!! it could have been so much worse!! there could have been twitter campaigns, and pictures, and spams and tv adverts1

Give it time L - I'm sure Mrsp is working on all that ;)

Guest LissyR

Give it time L - I'm sure Mrsp is working on all that ;)

ahahaha I look forward to it :p I love how other support groups would be all serious and focused, we're just like OSWALD!

Guest Sisyphus

ahahaha I look forward to it :p I love how other support groups would be all serious and focused, we're just like OSWALD!

Well I guess we're serious when we need to be, but Oswald the rest of the time. Hey - by a bizarre twist of insomniac fate, you just witnessed the removal of my arthroscopy bandages. I did it just then - after your last post and before this one. Congratulations. :doctor:

Guest LissyR

Well I guess we're serious when we need to be, but Oswald the rest of the time. Hey - by a bizarre twist of insomniac fate, you just witnessed the removal of my arthroscopy bandages. I did it just then - after your last post and before this one. Congratulations. :doctor:

wooo! I knew there was an advantage to not being able to sleep!! you okay??

Guest Sisyphus

wooo! I knew there was an advantage to not being able to sleep!! you okay??

Yeah - it's fine. I can't see the scars though cos there's some plasters over them - had better leave them be till I get the stitches out I guess. I was looking forward to seeing the scars dammit.

do you find your OCD messes up your sleep then or is that a separate thing?

Guest LissyR

ah, well I hope its better soon :)

yeah its the ocd, I cant sleep a lot because I have too many thoughts and unless my room is absolutely perfect I cant even sit still let alone sleep so it takes me ages to check. which is annoying. what about you?

Guest Sisyphus

ah, well I hope its better soon :)

yeah its the ocd, I cant sleep a lot because I have too many thoughts and unless my room is absolutely perfect I cant even sit still let alone sleep so it takes me ages to check. which is annoying. what about you?

Sorry Lissy - I didn't get a blooming email notification for that response. I still can't get my head round the notifications on here - most of the time it sends one then it just stops.

Well me is a long story. My sleep's kind of haywire anyway of late cos I'm unemployed. But it's been particularly strange the last few days cos of this op. First I couldn't sleep for 24 hours which was odd. Then I slept for 4.5 hrs. Then up a long time then 6 hrs sleep. Then not up so long and 11 hours sleep. Then 6 hrs again sleep, then 11 sleep hrs. So I've been up a lot of nghts as a result.

I need to address that really.

My family are all crummy sleepers though - my mum says it's overactive thyroid glands but on top of all my other medical woes, I really can't be bothered to get it checked out yet!

But unless I'm *really* tired I do find I have some problems getting to sleep and often have interrupted sleep. Some of the OCD **** started intruding on my sleep in recent years, which was nice.

Edited by Sisyphus
Guest Sisyphus

Sorry Lissy - I didn't get a blooming email notification for that response. I still can't get my head round the notifications on here - most of the time it sends one then it just stops.

Well me is a long story. My sleep's kind of haywire anyway of late cos I'm unemployed. But it's been particularly strange the last few days cos of this op. First I couldn't sleep for 24 hours which was odd. Then I slept for 4.5 hrs. Then up a long time then 6 hrs sleep. Then not up so long and 11 hours sleep. Then 6 hrs again sleep, then 11 sleep hrs. So I've been up a lot of nghts as a result.

I need to address that really.

My family are all crummy sleepers though - my mum says it's overactive thyroid glands but on top of all my other medical woes, I really can't be bothered to get it checked out yet!

But unless I'm *really* tired I do find I have some problems getting to sleep and often have interrupted sleep. Some of the OCD **** started intruding on my sleep in recent years, which was nice.

p.s. I rather drastically edited that so hopefully you read it on here and not on the original email notification!!!

Guest LissyR

p.s. I rather drastically edited that so hopefully you read it on here and not on the original email notification!!!

ahaha sounds fun :p I never seem to actually get the notifications which is annoying but I just come back and check every now and then

ouch, sounds really bad!

I just cant sleep, I haven't slept in 6 days now, which is my record, and when I do its only for a few hours, so school is always fun ;)

Guest Sisyphus

ahaha sounds fun :p I never seem to actually get the notifications which is annoying but I just come back and check every now and then

ouch, sounds really bad!

I just cant sleep, I haven't slept in 6 days now, which is my record, and when I do its only for a few hours, so school is always fun ;)

Oh you poor thing. Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing - it can put a dark mood on things or make you over-emotional. I hope school somehow makes allowances for this cos it's clearly not fair otherwise. Geography's boring enough without that added handicap for God's sake!

I think the most I ever stayed up was 3 days when I was doing my finals at uni and I started hallucinating. In those scenarios, any sleep you can grab is very valuable. I know it's a probably a cliche that you've heard before but I've heard using electronic equipment - phones/monitors, computers, laptops - before you try to sleep is bad for sleep - they say read a book instead or meditate. As with all these things I'm a total hypocrite so far though.

What's your home like for sleeping - quiet, peaceful, thick curtains that block the light out, much traffic noise? Sorry if I'm asking all the wrong things.

Re: notifications:

To get some notifications you need to do this:

- click on your name towards the top right of the OCD UK website

- click "My settings" from the drop-down that just appeared

- select "Notification options" from the menu on the left hand side of the screen

- tick which notification options you want ( I couldn't be bothered reading them all so I just cicked them all!)

That said, I still don't get notified for every response(like earlier) but I get the vast majority.

Have you been watching this "Extreme OCD Camp"? I'm just catching up on the 2nd one now.

Edited by Sisyphus
Guest LissyR

Oh you poor thing. Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing - it can put a dark mood on things or make you over-emotional. I hope school somehow makes allowances for this cos it's clearly not fair otherwise. Geography's boring enough without that added handicap for God's sake!

I think the most I ever stayed up was 3 days when I was doing my finals at uni and I started hallucinating. In those scenarios, any sleep you can grab is very valuable. I know it's a probably a cliche that you've heard before but I've heard using electronic equipment - phones/monitors, computers, laptops - before you try to sleep is bad for sleep - they say read a book instead or meditate. As with all these things I'm a total hypocrite so far though.

What's your home like for sleeping - quiet, peaceful, thick curtains that block the light out, much traffic noise? Sorry if I'm asking all the wrong things.

Re: notifications:

To get some notifications you need to do this:

- click on your name towards the top right of the OCD UK website

- click "My settings" from the drop-down that just appeared

- select "Notification options" from the menu on the left hand side of the screen

- tick which notification options you want ( I couldn't be bothered reading them all so I just cicked them all!)

That said, I still don't get notified for every response(like earlier) but I get the vast majority.

Have you been watching this "Extreme OCD Camp"? I'm just catching up on the 2nd one now.

ah thanks!

um geography is awful, I couldn't agree more!! my house is alright, I have thick curtains and the house is normally quiet, there's traffic noise but it doesn't bother me, im used to it, its weird sleeping without it aha! I heard about the electrical things so I don't use them, never tried meditating, I read a lot though.

hallucinations? ouch. how did you start sleeping again?

ah thanks for the notifications thing, i'll try it

yeah!! it was really good, aha, I liked the first episode more though, I thought it was really cool how they did the exposures

Guest Sisyphus

ah thanks!

um geography is awful, I couldn't agree more!! my house is alright, I have thick curtains and the house is normally quiet, there's traffic noise but it doesn't bother me, im used to it, its weird sleeping without it aha! I heard about the electrical things so I don't use them, never tried meditating, I read a lot though.

hallucinations? ouch. how did you start sleeping again?

ah thanks for the notifications thing, i'll try it

yeah!! it was really good, aha, I liked the first episode more though, I thought it was really cool how they did the exposures

OK I knew the sleep questions were daft and you'd have covered all that already. I've seen on the net that there's a lot of long tracks - like storms, rain, waterfalls, beaches, jungle, and people use them to get a night's sleep(you can tell from the comments). Maybe worth a shot. Do you do much exercise - I find I do sleep better after a good exercise session - I think our bodies are built to expect so much exercise a day even if it's just some walking. (Tell me to shut up if this is getting annoying).

Yes, I'm finding the exposures particularly interesting as I have to try this soon and obviously I'm really looking forward to it. I told myself I'll start when I finish my book so, surprise surprise, I'm now putting off finishing the book ... like a ****. I'm so disappointed with my progress. It's a difficult time for me though. There's different conflicting pressures and the OCD's been through the roof so I don't have much quality time and keep getting distracted away from it all. Just got to gather myself and take a different approach, a fresh run at it.

"hallucinations? ouch. how did you start sleeping again?"

Instead of "doing my finals" I meant to say writing up my final year project. There was a deadline and I was late so I stayed up to get it written up(hand written in those days). So once I'd finished I got on a bus to go into town and hand it in. BAM fell fast asleep on the bus.

I think Goegraphy could be extremely cool in as much as it's supposed to be a study of the planet Earth, but the way they did it at my school it was all about this tedious socio-economic claptrap - shopping centres, housing developments, power stations. Awful, random nonsense.

Guest LissyR

OK I knew the sleep questions were daft and you'd have covered all that already. I've seen on the net that there's a lot of long tracks - like storms, rain, waterfalls, beaches, jungle, and people use them to get a night's sleep(you can tell from the comments). Maybe worth a shot. Do you do much exercise - I find I do sleep better after a good exercise session - I think our bodies are built to expect so much exercise a day even if it's just some walking. (Tell me to shut up if this is getting annoying).

Yes, I'm finding the exposures particularly interesting as I have to try this soon and obviously I'm really looking forward to it. I told myself I'll start when I finish my book so, surprise surprise, I'm now putting off finishing the book ... like a ****. I'm so disappointed with my progress. It's a difficult time for me though. There's different conflicting pressures and the OCD's been through the roof so I don't have much quality time and keep getting distracted away from it all. Just got to gather myself and take a different approach, a fresh run at it.

"hallucinations? ouch. how did you start sleeping again?"

Instead of "doing my finals" I meant to say writing up my final year project. There was a deadline and I was late so I stayed up to get it written up(hand written in those days). So once I'd finished I got on a bus to go into town and hand it in. BAM fell fast asleep on the bus.

I think Goegraphy could be extremely cool in as much as it's supposed to be a study of the planet Earth, but the way they did it at my school it was all about this tedious socio-economic claptrap - shopping centres, housing developments, power stations. Awful, random nonsense.

eyyyy I got a notification!! thanks!!!

I do a lot of exercise, more because im not sleeping and im trying to make myself tired. so everywhere I go I walk, I walk my dog twice a day, and I do sports regularly. the relaxing music stuff sounds cool, i'll give it a try tonight thanks!

ahahaha bet you were pleased when they were over?

I like the subject of geography (physical more than human) but our teacher is really pressurising and right now we're learning about the effect the Olympics had on London, boring or what?

Guest Sisyphus

eyyyy I got a notification!! thanks!!!

I do a lot of exercise, more because im not sleeping and im trying to make myself tired. so everywhere I go I walk, I walk my dog twice a day, and I do sports regularly. the relaxing music stuff sounds cool, i'll give it a try tonight thanks!

OK sorry about that - clearly I have no pearls of wisdom you haven't already covered on the sleep front. Well here's a couple I had favourited cos was gonna use them for meditation but never got round to it:

Rain on a roof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOyW_luNgP0&nofeather=True

This is rain and thunder so maybe no good if you're brontophobic(though I am yet I don't mind this cos it's fake):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftu5ZpAk8dM&nofeather=True

... and my personal favourite - waves crashing into the shore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-F8-qHmq0

I reckon the Terminator would be soothed to sleep by that one.

OK - last thing on the sleep thing - I did hear that meditation helps with sleep issues because it trains you to think of nothing and not to engage with thoughts. In this way they also say it is good for combatting OCD.

ahahaha bet you were pleased when they were over?

Yeah I was but I was also disappointed cos I had a damned good feeling I'd ballsed themn up! And I had.

I like the subject of geography (physical more than human) but our teacher is really pressurising and right now we're learning about the effect the Olympics had on London, boring or what?

When will teachers learn that putting kids under uncomfortable pressure in front of their peers doesn't actually help them learn anything. I used to be absolutely terrified of reading out loud in the class. Me and my mate Jim used to dread English cos of that. We were so scared it must have sounded hilarious. What did that teach me? Nothing. Just knackered my confidence.

That "effect of the Olympics" thing is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. What silly nonsense - geography should be about Earth, not the human baterial infestation that's covering it! I'm joking(I'm not really).

I believe geography at uni is better though. I lived with 3 lads who did geography in my 2nd year. Bad idea - I had over 35 hours lectures/labs a week - they had 6 :(

Guest LissyR

OK sorry about that - clearly I have no pearls of wisdom you haven't already covered on the sleep front. Well here's a couple I had favourited cos was gonna use them for meditation but never got round to it:

Rain on a roof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOyW_luNgP0&nofeather=True

This is rain and thunder so maybe no good if you're brontophobic(though I am yet I don't mind this cos it's fake):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftu5ZpAk8dM&nofeather=True

... and my personal favourite - waves crashing into the shore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-F8-qHmq0

I reckon the Terminator would be soothed to sleep by that one.

OK - last thing on the sleep thing - I did hear that meditation helps with sleep issues because it trains you to think of nothing and not to engage with thoughts. In this way they also say it is good for combatting OCD.

Yeah I was but I was also disappointed cos I had a damned good feeling I'd ballsed themn up! And I had.

When will teachers learn that putting kids under uncomfortable pressure in front of their peers doesn't actually help them learn anything. I used to be absolutely terrified of reading out loud in the class. Me and my mate Jim used to dread English cos of that. We were so scared it must have sounded hilarious. What did that teach me? Nothing. Just knackered my confidence.

That "effect of the Olympics" thing is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. What silly nonsense - geography should be about Earth, not the human baterial infestation that's covering it! I'm joking(I'm not really).

I believe geography at uni is better though. I lived with 3 lads who did geography in my 2nd year. Bad idea - I had over 35 hours lectures/labs a week - they had 6 :(

ahahaha don't be sorry!! you helped!!the links will be really useful i'm sure and you did exactly what this forum is for; you offered help and advice to someone who needs it. so thank you very much for that!!

ahhh did you re-do them or just live with the bad grades?

geography suddenly seems a lot more attractive... just have to survive another few years of mrs pradics determination that every single one of us will get a*s and go on to be champion geographers. English sounds hard, im lucky because im confident (probably verging on cocky) so reading isn't a problem , I just hate when they ask you a question you obviously don't know and embarrass you, at my school everyone is really academic so everyone judges you on how much you know.

Guest Sisyphus

ahahaha don't be sorry!! you helped!!the links will be really useful i'm sure and you did exactly what this forum is for; you offered help and advice to someone who needs it. so thank you very much for that!!

ahhh did you re-do them or just live with the bad grades?

geography suddenly seems a lot more attractive... just have to survive another few years of mrs pradics determination that every single one of us will get a*s and go on to be champion geographers. English sounds hard, im lucky because im confident (probably verging on cocky) so reading isn't a problem , I just hate when they ask you a question you obviously don't know and embarrass you, at my school everyone is really academic so everyone judges you on how much you know.

I think I have this naive urge to offer suggestions when people say something's wrong but of course it usually turns out people have thought of all the obvious stuff I come up with already. Maybe that's the old Oswald compelling me to offer help!? Who knows.

Well cockiness and confidence will stand you in good stead in this world L.

You're lucky you're at a good school though I'm sure it seems a drag now. I failed the 11 plus so my school was the opposite, people gave you hell if you tried too hard, answered too many questions. Specially as a boy I found. Kinda made it hard to focus and do well.

Re: uni - I just settled for the bad grades in the end. Shame cos I think I could've done well in something - I just picked the wrong subject at the end of the day so it's too bad really. Don't think you can redo finals - at least I couldn't then.

Do you think you will go to uni?