Hey! New to this and introducing myself :)

Guest LissyR

Guest Sisyphus

Got part the way through 'Relabel' so getting there. It does make for tough reading

Well you got quite far for the first time. I had to re-read quite a bit of it - it was never gonna be an easy read though was it?

Just try and forget about the guy who wrote it and the style and appreciate that the method it talks about is tried and tested on real OCD sufferers.

Guest LissyR

Yeah I guess. It's hard after 20 odd years. I was more used to them in my life than not which is weird. I dunno if I'll stay quit once I get working again. Now that;s the real test. Ouch.

do you want to stay off them or not? so if you had all the money in the world and no OCD, would you want to be a smoker?

Guest Sisyphus

do you want to stay off them or not? so if you had all the money in the world and no OCD, would you want to be a smoker?

That's a tough question. If money wasn't an issue and I still had OCD I'd DEFINITELY be a smoker. If not, then maybe not. But when something's so bad it limits your life that much, you kind of thing oh to hell with it - smoking's all I've got left!
Guest LissyR

That's a tough question. If money wasn't an issue and I still had OCD I'd DEFINITELY be a smoker. If not, then maybe not. But when something's so bad it limits your life that much, you kind of thing oh to hell with it - smoking's all I've got left!

ouch, sorry. you must have started young if you've been smoking for more of you life than not?

Guest Sisyphus

ouch, sorry. you must have started young if you've been smoking for more of you life than not?

Yknow what. When I actually stop and think about it is exactly half my life cos I started late when I ws 21. I'd got it into my head it was more than half but didnt stop to do the maths!

It is a long time though. It feels like Ive never not smoked. So maybe you can imagine how tough and miserable it is.It's pretty amazing I did it at all with all this OCD ******** to contend with as well, but like I say not sure itll last. I have to leave that back door open at the moment. Lucky Mrsp isn't here or she'd be chomping at the bit with a joke there wouldn'tshe.

Edited by Sisyphus
Guest LissyR

Yknow what. When I actually stop and think about it is exactly half my life cos I started late when I ws 21. I'd got it into my head it was more than half but didnt stop to do the maths!

It is a long time though. It feels like Ive never not smoked. So maybe you can imagine how tough and miserable it is.It's pretty amazing I did it at all with all this OCD ******** to contend with as well, but like I say not sure itll last. I have to leave that back door open at the moment. Lucky Mrsp isn't here or she'd be chomping at the bit with a joke there wouldn'tshe.

ahaha probably

21 years? wow that's a long time, its so amazing that you managed to give up after all that time, it must have been so hard!! you must have a LOT of willpower because I know people that cant do it without this horrible thing screwing with their head all time. that's incredible, well done!!

Guest Sisyphus

ahaha probably

21 years? wow that's a long time, its so amazing that you managed to give up after all that time, it must have been so hard!! you must have a LOT of willpower because I know people that cant do it without this horrible thing screwing with their head all time. that's incredible, well done!!

I would love to beleieve that, but I think they just got too expensive and I was already at rock bottom so I just thouhgt "ohhhh ******** to it" and didn't bother going out to buy a new pack one night! A very surreal few weeks ensued where I thought I was dreaming and it wasnt real cos I couldnt process the thought that I'd stopped smoking. You really have to put yourself in total lockdown mode. That's why most ppl cant do it - work, friends, stuff.

So not really willpower - more a confluence of freak circumstances!

Guest LissyR

I would love to beleieve that, but I think they just got too expensive and I was already at rock bottom so I just thouhgt "ohhhh ******** to it" and didn't bother going out to buy a new pack one night! A very surreal few weeks ensued where I thought I was dreaming and it wasnt real cos I couldnt process the thought that I'd stopped smoking. You really have to put yourself in total lockdown mode. That's why most ppl cant do it - work, friends, stuff.

So not really willpower - more a confluence of freak circumstances!

Still, you might have only given up because of the circumstances, but you had the willpower to stick with it so that's pretty impressive!! yeah I guess the first few weeks are going to be hard, especially if you're only giving up because you have to not because you want to. if you want me to shut up please tell me coss I can imagine it must be pretty annoying having a kid asking you questions that you'd probably rather not think about

Guest Sisyphus

God DAMN you're really determined to pay me a compliment here aintcha! OK I'll take it. I've got awesome will power. Nah not really, I've spoken to other people about the smoking - I figure it's probably good, like facing the fear. (wait a minute so why cant I do that with ######## OCD then?)

I was sure we were gonna get a bollocking from the OCD UK people for tha post explosion earlier yknow.

Guest LissyR

God DAMN you're really determined to pay me a compliment here aintcha! OK I'll take it. I've got awesome will power. Nah not really, I've spoken to other people about the smoking - I figure it's probably good, like facing the fear. (wait a minute so why cant I do that with ######## OCD then?)

I was sure we were gonna get a bollocking from the OCD UK people for tha post explosion earlier yknow.

THANK YOU! you need to learn to take it, I will compliment you all night if I have to until you take it!!!

I guess OCD is harder, its in your head and you cant control it, however much you try (mind you I have absolutely no idea what giving up smoking is like)

yeah I thought they were going to kill us, but we're on 335 comments now so I reckon if they were going to stop us they would have done it before

Guest Sisyphus

THANK YOU! you need to learn to take it, I will compliment you all night if I have to until you take it!!!

I guess OCD is harder, its in your head and you cant control it, however much you try (mind you I have absolutely no idea what giving up smoking is like)

yeah I thought they were going to kill us, but we're on 335 comments now so I reckon if they were going to stop us they would have done it before

I dunno I hear different things about that - some people kind of resign themselves to - you've got it for life, there's no cure, you do your best one day at a time; while others say they've done the 4 steps and beaten their OCD. They sound pretty confident about it. So 2 schools of thought going on.

Well I was surprised no-one said anything. Maybe they just don't care as long as it's not ruining anyone's day. Shame there's not a multiple kind of PM thing cos that be better. I should probably pack this in anyway, I mean the non OCD related posts. It's fun but wow have I got other stuff I should be doing instead! A lot of it. So I should stop all that really and knuckle down. I think I'm also a bad influence on Mrsp - she goes loco when I'm in the thread!

Guest LissyR

I dunno I hear different things about that - some people kind of resign themselves to - you've got it for life, there's no cure, you do your best one day at a time; while others say they've done the 4 steps and beaten their OCD. They sound pretty confident about it. So 2 schools of thought going on.

Well I was surprised no-one said anything. Maybe they just don't care as long as it's not ruining anyone's day. Shame there's not a multiple kind of PM thing cos that be better. I should probably pack this in anyway, I mean the non OCD related posts. It's fun but wow have I got other stuff I should be doing instead! A lot of it. So I should stop all that really and knuckle down. I think I'm also a bad influence on Mrsp - she goes loco when I'm in the thread!

whats the 4 steps thing? the whole idea of ocd is pretty new to me so I just thought you were stuck with it for life, can you get rid of it??

ah sorry that's my fault, keep asking you questions. a multiple pm thing would be cool

Guest Sisyphus

Well this is the debate. AFAICS the 4 steps is just tant amount to CBT. It's a process of educating you about what OCD is, then getting you to RELABEL what is reality and what is OCD. So when stuff comes upm you constantly RELABEL it as one or the other. Then you REATTRIBUTE the OCD stuff to OCD which you've since learned isn't triggered by genuine reasons to doubt things but by this defect in the way your brain works which keep throwing up fake alarsm and doubts. Then, accpeting that the obsessions are all false alarms, the content of which bears absolutely no bearing on reality, and whether or not you perform the compulsion also has zero effect on reality, you simply refuse to engage any of them(which is obviously tough at first), so the trick the ge tyou to do is to REFOCUS which just means you try to do a set amount of time of an alternative activity that you find pleasurable - e.g. play a computer game. The idea is this takes your mind off the bad thing quicker and allows you to get back to a nomrla brain state. Finally after each espidoe you REEVALUATE how you feel. So on a scale of 1 to 10. "I#m at a 5". The idea is if you successfully persevere with this. the scores will keep going down and down and down until you just no longer care about the obsessions or performing the compulsions.

It's not a magic bullet but they say *if* you can persevere with it it works.

So 1)RELABEL > 2)REATTRIBUTE > 3)REFOCUS > 4)REEVALUATE

What do you reckon then?

Guest LissyR

Well this is the debate. AFAICS the 4 steps is just tant amount to CBT. It's a process of educating you about what OCD is, then getting you to RELABEL what is reality and what is OCD. So when stuff comes upm you constantly RELABEL it as one or the other. Then you REATTRIBUTE the OCD stuff to OCD which you've since learned isn't triggered by genuine reasons to doubt things but by this defect in the way your brain works which keep throwing up fake alarsm and doubts. Then, accpeting that the obsessions are all false alarms, the content of which bears absolutely no bearing on reality, and whether or not you perform the compulsion also has zero effect on reality, you simply refuse to engage any of them(which is obviously tough at first), so the trick the ge tyou to do is to REFOCUS which just means you try to do a set amount of time of an alternative activity that you find pleasurable - e.g. play a computer game. The idea is this takes your mind off the bad thing quicker and allows you to get back to a nomrla brain state. Finally after each espidoe you REEVALUATE how you feel. So on a scale of 1 to 10. "I#m at a 5". The idea is if you successfully persevere with this. the scores will keep going down and down and down until you just no longer care about the obsessions or performing the compulsions.

It's not a magic bullet but they say *if* you can persevere with it it works.

So 1)RELABEL > 2)REATTRIBUTE > 3)REFOCUS > 4)REEVALUATE

What do you reckon then?

wow. that's cool, that's what they did on extreme ocd camp!

I don't know I think you can probably make it better by using the steps to calm you down but I think on some level you will probably always have habits and funny little things even if they cause you little or no anxiety. what about you?

I have watched Shaun of the Dead yes. It was back when Simon Pegg wasn't ****. That and Spaced were good. Oh and Big Train too.

I loved Spaced although knew nothing about it at the time (I quite often do that!)

And the smelling thing?

Well you got quite far for the first time. I had to re-read quite a bit of it - it was never gonna be an easy read though was it?

Just try and forget about the guy who wrote it and the style and appreciate that the method it talks about is tried and tested on real OCD sufferers.

But I don't know they guy who wrote it, and now you've banned me from looking him up :(. Yeah, I've not had to re-read too much just yet. It's interesting that he belives it is a biochemical imbalance in the brain (I think I've said that before)

But I am here now :D :D (sneakily anyway!!)

ahaha probably

My father-in-law hehe

OI! I'll have you know that I am loco with or without you here!! See, there is the superiority complex shining through again!

Guest Sisyphus

wow. that's cool, that's what they did on extreme ocd camp!

I don't know I think you can probably make it better by using the steps to calm you down but I think on some level you will probably always have habits and funny little things even if they cause you little or no anxiety. what about you?

Yeah I think the idea is you will always have some residual obsessive thoughts or be prone to them BUT you will have developed a whole new way of looking and dealing with it so should be able to deal with it all. Seems there's a lot of shades of grey to the results, but there's hope eh.
Guest LissyR

Yeah I think the idea is you will always have some residual obsessive thoughts or be prone to them BUT you will have developed a whole new way of looking and dealing with it so should be able to deal with it all. Seems there's a lot of shades of grey to the results, but there's hope eh.

hope is always good