"Pure O" sufferer talks about paedophilia and homosexuality obsessions in today's Guardian

Guest sarah1984

A hand wash bottle, lol. Hand sanitizer wipes are much easier and more convienant. :)

Reminds me of the first therapist I saw. She asked me if I used hand sanitizers and I said no. So she said, " that's great, don't start." Though then when she said that I thought to myself, "hmm, that's a good idea". Then I went out and bought some on my way home from the session. Lol!

Though I don't use those much either. Only before eating finger food or to clean something like my headphones. They're expensive anyways.

ha I meant sanitiser , I couldn't recall the word lol .

And yes your just replacing one compulsion with another.

And one should make attempts of trying to reduce them. although easier said than done. But that's the way forwards :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah! Yeah I guess I forgot that I had replaced it with the compulsion of those, especially when I could collect a bunch of free ones when at the grocery store or gym where they gave them out.

Though I've been over my contamination OCD for a while now so I don't have any of those compulsions anymore. I only clean my hands and stuff an average normal amount and only when it's smart to with no anxiety as the motivation for it.

Edited by ADD

Hah! Yeah I guess I forgot that I had replaced it with the compulsion of those, especially when I could collect a bunch of free ones when at the grocery store or gym where they gave them out.

Though I've been over my contamination OCD for a while now so I don't have any of those compulsions anymore. I only clean my hands and stuff an average normal amount and only when it's smart to with no anxiety as the motivation for it.

that's good to see ADD :) well done x

I read it and I was slightly concerned that the article somehow makes Pure O something different than OCD, something I think we see a lot on here, and does concern me. Pure O still involves compulsions, and I am worried people are forgetting this.

I read it and I was slightly concerned that the article somehow makes Pure O something different than OCD, something I think we see a lot on here, and does concern me. Pure O still involves compulsions, and I am worried people are forgetting this.

exactly my sentiments ,and why we must work at not separating the problem

its ocd, same meat, just different gravy

legend

Guest yinyang

S'ok Ashley, I think we have come to realise that whatever the gravy, flavour or theme, severity of inward or outward compulsions. It's all OCD, I am converted and have seen the light :original:

S'ok Ashley, I think we have come to realise that whatever the gravy, flavour or theme, severity of inward or outward compulsions. It's all OCD, I am converted and have seen the light :original:

:) pleasing to read . good on ya ying and kick some ocd butt .

Guest Charlotte

Very quick post (need some sleep!) but I would certainly echo Felix's point about Pure O (which is very very rarely 'purely obsessional' in my experience) being misdiagnosed as GAD.

Pleased to see an article about these fears.

My OCD has shape shifted many a time! I think that is a sign of how similar the different 'forms' are - same faulty thought process, different theme.

Guest yinyang

The problem is I think that just the name is confusing in itself. "Purely obsessional" implies only intrusive thoughts. So really doesn't that fall into the GAD bracket?

Maybe there are some very rare cases where people ONLY have O's and C's in their head. But I think it is very unlikely and hard to prove. If there comes a time when it is universally accepted, then a more accurate name should be used if we want to categorise it.

Personally now if I could, I would scrap the "pure o" term and dump it in room 101..