Bedlam - Channel 4

Guest Charlotte

Guest Charlotte

I just saw this...

South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM) has teamed up with Channel 4 to create a brand new series covering aspects of mental illness you may never have seen before.

Bedlam is a four-part observational documentary series that takes an in-depth and unprecedented look at mental health in Britain today, with exclusive access to our services, patients and staff.

The title was decided upon both by SLaM and Channel 4. It’s based on the fact that SLaM can trace its roots back to 1247 when the Priory of St Mary of Bethlehem was established in the City of London. The priory, which became a refuge for the sick and infirm, was known as ‘Bedlam’ and was the earliest form of what is now Bethlem Royal Hospital.

In deciding upon this title, we recognise that the history of treating mental illness hasn’t always been a proud or positive one. For too long, people with mental illness were simply removed from society, their family and friends and sent to long-stay hospitals (or asylums).

Things have improved, though our aim in working with Channel 4 was not to try and pretend that everything we do today is perfect. We wanted to help show the reality of providing mental health services in the twenty first century and what it is like to receive care and treatment. In doing so, we hope to try and help challenge the stigma and discrimination that still exists today and to promote better awareness and understanding of mental health issues.

The first of the four programmes is due to be broadcast at the end of October 2013. Over the coming weeks we will give you more information on the series as well as interviews with patients, staff and producers.

Not sure about the title, but it looks like it'll show work at the CADAT?

Anxiety has become the mental illness of our time, with seven million drug prescriptions issued every year. The Bethlem Royal Hospital’s national unit treats the most anxious people in the country - the top 1 % - and claims a success rate of three in four patients. Some are consumed by irrational fears they’ve caused a road accident in their sleep, harmed strangers or have intrusive thoughts.
Guest Annabel

I hope it's okay- Channel 4 can be okay or absolutely awful!

I don't like the description of the ADRU as housing some of the 'most anxious people in the country' but maybe that's just me. I'll be at the ADRU (Bedlam!) when it's shown so that'll be interesting!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pugdoglover

Omg! They're talking about Pure O ocd and people who worry about causing harm like I do...

First time I ever heard someone talking about that...

Pug

Guest LauraMac

Glad to see that they are covering harm ocd, although I don't personally suffer from it. Great to see a program taking that on for once, I know many of you have been disappointed by other programs just focusing on contamination and checking.

Really enjoying this so far!

Utterly brilliant. How can Channel 4 churn out such **** as OCC and then such a fantastic programme as this?!

Really, really good - I thoroughly recommend watching if anyone missed it.

What annoys me is that so many MH organisations are rightly applauding Ch4 tonight, as did I, but other than us, there is no one really being vocal in condemning Channel 4 for OCC.

Great to see Lauren helping Helen, that must have been filmed last year or very early this year.

Guest LauraMac

What annoys me is that so many MH organisations are rightly applauding Ch4 tonight, as did I, but other than us, there is no one really being vocal in condemning Channel 4 for OCC.Great to see Lauren helping Helen, that must have been filmed last year or very early this year.

Other MH groups are taking the easy way out, much easier to praise than to condemn. For people like ourselves it's about being honest and saying what needs to be said. OC cleaners was awful, I found it reinforced my ocd with their germ testing. If channel 4 would stick to educational shows like Bedlam it would help a lot more!

Guest keaboing

I mentioned in the OCD Ward thread that it might be difficult to convey the cognitive aspects of OCD on TV, but I think Bedlam did a great job in getting this across. Some friends of mine said that they were going to watch it and I think it will offer them a great insight which I may have struggled to articulate to them.

Guest FobicFairy

I only watched the first 20 mins because I was moving furniture but so far so great! I am recording the entire series so will watch the rest of tonight's programme later.

FF

I've just watched it (Saturday morning) and found the programme utterly heartbreaking. However, I thought it was excellent. I have often felt that the desperate anxiety wasn't portrayed but I thought in this you could see it.

It was good that it didn't just portray contamination issues - but in the small part where it did - it did show it isn't just about washing hands. To see the issues of paedophile and harm intrusive thoughts - also the toilet issues and the link to special numbers and checking - did give a feel for the range of OCD fears. I did think James was particularly heartbreaking and was so pleased to see he was able to go back to university and that the young lady returned to work.

The people taking part were incredibly brave - as on OCD Ward - and I wish them the very best that life can bring.

I'm afraid I can't remember exactly what was said, but the overall impression of the programme they gave wasn't a good one, which surprised me given the overwhelmingly positive response here.

The reviewers seemed to find parts of it rather comical as well.

Edited by Lost_in_a_Dark_Maze