Bedlam - Channel 4

Guest Charlotte

When i looked at reviews for the OCD Ward,some of the people were downright nasty,i just wish they could be in our heads at least for a day,they wouldn't think it so funny then!

I thought the programme was excellent, the best I've seen to date

Agreed, something I have said at the conference. I thought OCD Ward was ok, 7/10 but I thought Bedlam was superb, the best OCD programme to date, and give it 10/10.

I did not hear the reviews mentioned, but some of the written reviews (links on OCCleaners) thread were very supportive and used Bedlam to slam OCCleaners.

Guest LauraMac

Have just watched Bedlam again. It is such a good programme. It goes to show that mental health problems can happen to anyone, any walk of life.

Yeah it's absolutely brilliant, really informative. Best series I've ever seen about mental health by far!

Guest Annabel

I just re-watched the first programme and I'd been unsure before but just realized the guy whose family is featured was staying in my bedroom! So that's where I am when I'm there, although it's a bit pinkier with all my stuff in it and there's a single bed and a painting on the wall now!

I found this week's episode very close to home. Several years ago I took a large overdose. I ended up spending 5 days on a hospital medical ward and then a further 5 in a secure psychiatric unit - a lot like the one in the programme.

My initial thought about being there was 'How could my life have come to this?' I had previously had a successful life and career.

The hospital did its job for me; it allowed me a safe place to just be. I didn't have to do anything really (though was not allowed to just stay in my room). I didn't have any talking treatment but was put on some meds - I don't know what - i imagine something like diazepam. There were some art activities, a couple of relaxation sessions and other patients to talk to and play dominoes and so on with. Apart from one chap who seemed very ill, the others - probably 6 or so - did not seem any different to 'normal' people. (i hope that doesn't sound derogatory - I don't know how to put it)

After 5 days, they assessed that I was well enough to leave and did not pose a further risk to myself.

It wasn't a frightening or bad experience - the staff and other patients were friendly and i had time when nothing was expected of me.

That overdose was when I was at my lowest point - I think on the verge of a breakdown. Beginning with the stay in hospital and then a change in my meds my recovery began. I am now very lucky inasmuch as I am virtually OCD free.

Edited by whitebeam

I am so pleased for you, whitebeam, that things worked out so well for you :) :hug:

My experience of a locked psychiatric ward was that it was a scary place to be. I was only 18 years old and was on the ward for four days before being allowed home but still under section for a further five days. I understand why I was there though. I remember being frightened because of a couple of the other patients but also just being there, away from home etc. I would read, do schoolwork in the lounge but when I was in my room I used to lock myself in (obviously the staff could get in). I didn't have any talking treatment in there, but it was a safe place (I wanted to self-harm but more than that I wanted to go home so I knew I had to resist the urge to harm myself).

I've just watched the third episode of this series and I think each episode so far has been excellent. The third episode focuses on psychosis and the CMHT caring for those patients. The social worker featured reminds me a lot of my CPN, caring and empathic, whilst doing a very difficult job.

Guest LauraMac

I found this week's episode very close to home. Several years ago I took a large overdose. I ended up spending 5 days on a hospital medical ward and then a further 5 in a secure psychiatric unit - a lot like the one in the programme.

That overdose was when I was at my lowest point - I think on the verge of a breakdown. Beginning with the stay in hospital and then a change in my meds my recovery began. I am now very lucky inasmuch as I am virtually OCD free.

Thanks for sharing your story, great to hear you're virtually OCD free. X

Guest LauraMac

Watching Bedlam tonight, its absolutely brilliant! For anyone who missed it, its well worth a watch! Amazing the progress some of the people in it with Mental Health problems have made.

Unfortunately I missed last week's but caught tonight's.

I was amazed at the transformation in Lorraine after ECT. They said that it was like a placebo which I didn't understand but it was great to see her so much better than she had been. It's a shame that she had to be re-admitted a couple of times but, hopefully she will get well. Likewise with Peter who was still struggling.

The other lady - I can't remember her name seemed so much better. I really hope they all do well.

A fantastic series; I hope they make a second one.

PS Thank you, Eddy :original:

Edited by whitebeam
Guest Annabel

I agree, I thought it was really good. I particularly thought the photos of one of the ladies when she was younger and well in the last programme and of the guy (I've forgotten his name, he stayed in my room at ADRU before me!) in the first programme before he became unwell added something to the programme, kinda showed you more of the person than just their illness.

One slight thing though- i'm not sure if there might be a way of narrating that is slightly less likely to lead the audience to believe that the sufferers of mental illness are very unusual! For example if someone speaks in a particular tone they can make something seem strange- I'm not sure how to explain it but yeah, perhaps there's a way of normalizing mental illness even more!

Edited by Annabel