Really must look in that mirror again

It's been a good few weeks now since I last looked in the mirror and I really think I must look again just so it isn't too much of a shock when I do.I will look again on saturday next week if I can make myself.Trouble is I am really dreading it already but think it will have been a month by then and that is a new record recently.

In the past while, I've learned that it's rarely a good idea to shield yourself from true information.

The mirror displays true and accurate information. You can't be scared of it, you have to face it.

Otherwise you are living in a dreamworld of your own making. Just don't reaction in a massive way when you see yourself. Of course it's easy for me to say this when I don't have this form of OCD.

The mirror displays true and accurate information.

Hi Lovid,

I just wanted to point out that this isn't quite correct. Mirrors often do not give an exact likeness, and also we are viewing our reflection, as opposed to how other people see us, which can be very different. Many mirrors are not very flattering, and they can give us a false impression of how we look.

Bear this in mind when you look in the mirror, and don't let it sap your confidence. :)

Guest Shannon

Yes what 'lost in a dark maze' has said is very true. A mirror does not lie, it is really there, BUT it is you looking at your reflection and you have decided that you do not like what you see. You are being unkind to yourself. it is all about learning to love yourself again, stop attracting negative thoughts, be kind to yourself and find some positive thoughts. I imagine even if Brad Pitt was your reflection, you would still not be happy because you are so focused on being negative about yourself and cannot see the positives.

I would work on giving yourself a compliment every morning, even if you can't yet face the mirror. You might comment on your eyes or skin or that your clothes look good. It takes time to rebuild confidence but you can only start that journey by firstly learning to love yourself x

Hi lovid,

Remember that what you see likely isn't what others see. I can remember being anorexic, looking in the mirror and seeing myself as fat. Looking back now at photos of myself I can see how others must have seen me - as underweight.

It sounds like the mirror is a huge challenge for you; could you maybe work up to it by maybe looking at one part of you in the mirror one day, then when that doesn't provoke such huge anxiety trying a little more, and working up that way?

Thankyou everyone for your advise.I think that I really shouldn't have allowed it to get so long between each time I look and it is very comforting that you all took the time to help.I think after this time , I will try and not let it get so long next time :original:

I didn't know that you used to be anorexic ns.It's good that you don't seem to be suffering so bad with that anymore (although I know that you still are having a bad time).I know what you mean yas just observe the thoughts and not buy into them

Well I had a quick look today for about an hour.Yuck.Loose skin under my eyes and chin.Looks horrible.Feeling unhappy but at least it's done.Not looking again for a while though although I must not let it go so long next time.Didn't sleep much last night cos of the anxiety but hopefully will be better tonight.

Thanx for reply.An hour's good for me though.Sometimes it can be all day everyday although not since i've had the cbt.I,ve been like this since I was 15.If it's not one thing it's just another.I am a bit confused because cbt instruction was to only use the mirror for shaving and not to study with two mirrors (which can let me see how I look from other angles) but that leaves me wide open to big changes that i might see if I do use more than 1 mirror and I really don't see me ever managing to only use one mirror for the rest of my life and is that not just avoidance anyway.