CBT

Guest LissyR

Starting CBT on the 21st :clap: only problem is, when I looked it up I found that they stop you doing your rituals, since that my OCD has gotten a lot worse.... is this normal??

also anyone who has done it: (i'm doing group cbt) could you tell me about it? thanks xxxx

Guest LauraMac

It's normal for OCD to get worse for a while when starting CBT and expect that when you actually start the group there may be a period of time when your ocd gets worse for a bit, but things have to get worse before they can get better. The idea is that over time the anxiety will then decrease and your ocd will improve. X

Guest worriedmum

HI there,

That's great you are starting CBT soon! :) My son found it really helpful and still remembers a lot of the techniques and tools he learned, which helps when OCD tries to bite again. They will work towards you stopping the rituals but it is usually done gradually. You will probably be involved in setting yourself targets and little experiments. Sometimes you are asked to keep a record of it on paper, which helps you track your progress. At first it might feel that the anxiety is increasing and things are getting worse, but as LauraMac said, often this is the way. Keep encouraged and keep going and you will find it slowly working and that your anxiety will lower with time, and you will be able to start getting rid of the rituals one by one. My son is now free from any physical rituals, checking and so on, but it was hard work and it took time. I am sure you will get there... let us know how you get on. Take care.

Guest jodiephillips123

i had to do cbt my ocd got a lot worse but i feel like it helped a lot!!! i am now back to school 1 hour a day and i hope u get better soon if u ever need someone to message feel free to talk to me x