OCD Ward - ITV1

Guest OCD-UK RSS

Guest Jennifer8

Hello Tricia, I think you need to concentrate on making yourself better and hopefully the people around you will come to their senses and realise what an important thing you did by showing the extent of OCD and how it can effect people. Try and not sink into a dark place, sometimes the biggest achievements people make in the world are often misunderstood at the time and overlooked but eventually are seen in their true light as major steps forward in learning and understanding.

Hello Tricia

I've just watched the documentary. Am I right that you have lost friends because you don't see your grandchildren but you have a parrot? As you said ocd is very selective. It's not a rational disorder and it doesn't make any sense. Sometimes you are less afraid of things that may make you more contaminated but that's just OCD. Unfortunately people without OCD may find that hard to understand. Perhaps try to get someone to explain to your friends how it works if they won't listen to you.

Hope this helps

Chris, I think it's a combination of things. The fact I can’t touch my grandchildren and that I so rarely see my mother, but also some people seem ashamed to be associated with someone with a condition like ours. The fact I can't wear clothes in the house causes my son deep embarrassment. Maybe my friends feel the same, they have not said. I’d hidden the extreme aspects of my OCD for so long, so I imagine my friends were shocked. We had only spoken on the phone for many years, due to my fears of leaving the house, and I am told that on the phone I sound okay.

Jennifer, thank you for your encouraging words. I'm afraid I am too ill physically to have any more treatment, but I need to attempt to put these past months behind me and accept that some people will never understand.

I really prod off u all I understand what u go tro I don't let any one in my house due to contaminating even have special way doing post . Have have in post catcher as can't have drop on floor if. Does have clean floor but brain does switch of . Have self scan all shoping then come home clean hands lots wash shoping .

Guest LauraMac

Phillip schofield has been tweeting about OCD ward tonight. Great to see celebrities like this getting on board, he's been saying how debilitating a condition ocd is and with 2.5 million followers that's great awareness right there!!! :)

Guest FobicFairy

Hi Rabbit,

My OCD was exactly the same as you have described, its so time consuming and stressful when you know that when you go shopping it all has to be wiped. I also had a special way of dealing with post or anything else that got put through the letter box!

The good news is that I don't do any of that any more. I went to Springfield as an inpatient and those long winded compulsions are long gone.

FF

That great news u got help . Not sure I could go away of help as I have 2 chilldren and on my own my girl has life f heart condition hls . So all meds have me done by me . Don't like anyone doing her tablets as worry she going get I'll is someone does whash hands prop .

Good work, ITV. Last night's programme was accurate, moving and rang uncomfortably true with me as a sufferer of nearly a quarter of a century. Upset families, disrupted relationships, destroyed social lives, daily mental anguish, physical injury, general ill-health, severe depression and low self-esteem has been my reality, too. Therapy is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do and I avoided it for far too long. The rewards are great, though and bravery pays off.

So, again, congratulations on a job well done, ITV.

Shame on Channel 4, however, for their compulsive cleaners nonsense. You continue to trivialise and misrepresent OCD and damage the important work done by others to promote and explain the condition to the public. A few years ago, Channel 4 gave us a series set in a house for OCD therapy featuring Professor Paul Salkovskis himself. This was an important series. What a pity C4 has not been able to continue the good work done with that previous series.

By the way, I haven't actually watched the compulsive cleaners programme. A) because I trust the opinion of OCDUK and I don't want to get angry and B) because I've got better things to do!

Was ocd ward on again last night then ?

It must have reached a few million people by now !

Wonder if we write to itv thanking them for the programme they will run a second series like channel 4 did with the cleaning programme.

Spoze it goes on viewing figures does it? If they run follow up programmes

Edited by Eddy

Noticed that extracts from "ocd ward" are being used to advertise itv 1 on a regular basis now . Flashed up a few times tonight in the adverts between coronation street and a couple of other programmes

It was just the horse riding on the beach scene and a couple of the other scenes

Not sure it will do much more to raise awareness as you would have had to of seen the documentary in the first place to recognise the extracts. But i just thought i would mention its inclusion in their advert.

Trisha if you reading this i hope you are ok (hug)

Edited by Eddy

Bless you, Eddy, I'm struggling to be honest. I'm so cold and dreading the winter. Last night I discovered that mice have entered the house. The contamination from them is one of my biggest fears and I truly don't want to go on. My daughter was in tears and said she'd help me find a painless way to end it, if that's what I truly want. The last thing I want to do is huirt her, but maybe by being here, and being so ill, is hurting her more than if I wasn't around at all. I simlpy don't know.

If only facing the fear worked in every case...My closest relatives have witnessed how hard I have tried, but many others now assume that I am too much of a coward to recover. It hurts terribly.

I too am so so sorry to hear this. I find it so incredibly sad that you have suffered so much and for so long. I know I haven't met you, but I do feel like I have got to 'know' many people on this forum, and you are clearly a lovely, wonderful and kind person - it breaks my heart that you have had this conversation with your daughter. I know you have tried CBT and other options and they haven't worked for you; I just hope you manage to find the strength to try again, and to keep going even when it feels hopeless - the world needs people like you, please please don't think about ending it all. I can guarantee your daughter would not be happier if you weren't around - she would be utterly devastated. Please hold on. You're in my thoughts xxx

Guest LauraMac

Tricia you are NOT a coward in anyway, other people are wrong if that's what they think. Not everyone can recover from OCD, it doesn't make you a coward in any way. Don't give up Tricia, some of the greatest people have had incurable OCD, look at Howard Hughes, someone who I admirer greatly. I'm so sorry that you feel the way you do at the minute.

All the best, Laura

Tricia i am so sorry to hear how much worse you are,it's totally understandable what with the mice again,but please don't do anything,i totally echo what the others have said,i know i havn't known you for long but you are so brave and a wonderful,caring friend.xx

You are all so very kind and I promise I am not about to do something rash. However, I am considering my options. My daughter is so loving, but in some ways I feel that by being here I am hurting her more than if I were gone. She will never marry or leave me as she loves me too much and wants to be with me. I have affected her life so badly. (Eight years ago she was offered the golden opportunity of an acting job in L.A. but turned it down because of not wanting to leave me). I just wish I could be absolutely sure she'd be okay without me and be able to start making a life for herself. The producer of OCD Ward actually broached the subject of suicide to my mother. My mum's reply surprised me, she said it would be a blessed relief for her to know I am at peace at last. I was really emotional and it's difficult to live with. As most of you know, the guilt weighs heavily on our shoulders. I have heard from a friend that my son was highly embarrassed by my brief appearance on TV, and it looks as though our relationship is now irredeemable. The programme's producer seemed sure it would heal the misunderstanding. I have to accept I'll never see my son or granddaughters again...

Daisy, as we all know, this illness has nothing good about it, but it has led me to meet many lovely people I would otherwise not have known. Several are on this forum. As you said, we've only been friends a short while, but some people you feel you've known all your life. I certainly feel that way about you, and do dearly wish we had got to know each other many years ago. The promise I made to you this morning I will keep. I never break a promise! Someone recently told me that no one can make a difference as to whether a person decides to take her life. I disagree. xx

Edited by Tricia

Tricia when you son is older, has learnt more about life and people and grown as a person , there is a good chance that he will look back and see the courage you showed by appearing on tv and feel only pride in you as we do here.

Life changes us and as we get older we start to see things in such a different way. He will come round .

Also your friend may have been putting a bit of a spin on her account of her conversation with your son...... The same sentence can be interprated a number of ways , all dictated by tone .

Even if what she says is true i still believe he will come round .

Peoples comments always, without exception , say more about the person themselves than they ever say about the subject , sometimes when we do brave things it only highlights other peoples inadequaces , so they react in a negative way towards us, in time they come to see the courage you took .

Only a matter of time :)

A very bright and thoughtful girl at my work was saying how the people with the 'dirty' homes were dirty pigs and one of the people who went to clean was very worried about the contamination to her shoes.

i tried to explain that possibly the people with the 'dirty' homes had problems with hoarding, and so on, and may have had greater problems than being dirty etc and that those choosing to clean those homes could not have been suffering from OCD or they never would have enjoyed the cleaning work or to have subjected themselves to such environments.

She now knows I have suffered from OCD but I think the programme has made more of an impact on her than my explanation as she said it had been entertaining.

Frightening how impressions are formed and supported.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Eddy, Whitebeam and Yasminhuskie.

I have to admit that with the knowledge I have now, I would never have agreed to take part in the documentary. I am distressed that my granddaughters' names were mentioned. I didn’t realize that was being filmed. It's what my son is particularly upset and annoyed about. He is in his mid thirties, Eddy, I don't think this will be healed, unfortunately. Also, my mother is very different towards me now and doesn't seem to want any contact. It has backfired so badly.