OCD Ward - ITV1

Guest OCD-UK RSS

I would not have agreed to take part, had it not been for being told my intrusive thoughts would be the main focus of my part. I can only apologize to those who feel let down and say I share your frustration.

Hi Tricia

Firstly, you have my utmost admiration and respect for appearing on this show. It was incredibly brave of you, and I can't thank you and others like you enough for raising awareness in this way.

Secondly, I can't believe that your trust has been betrayed in this way - for you to stipulate that you would only take part if they showed your intrusive thoughts, and for them not to do so, is a gross betrayal of your trust in my opinion. If I were you, I would be in contact with them and have some strong words to say. But equally I can understand if you would rather not do that xx

Guest Pugdoglover

Yeah, I do feel overall that it captured the severity of some OCD cases, especially contamination. I agree wioth the others as a Pure O sufferer myself that this was not covered, but I think it was good as it showed the effects ocd has on the family unit.

I think in the future it would be good to make an ocd documentary covering all types of OCD, When i explain to people my ocd is not to do with contamination they look at me as if I'm mad, so there is definitely a lack of knowledge on it. But essentially- all ocd is the same. It's about doubt, fear, guilt and anxiety, which I think the documentary portraued really well.

Pug

Hi I don't know if anyone with harm ocd watch ocd ward the other night on bbc one I was really looking forward to seeing the treatment and how it all works from having inpatient treatment has I'm suffering again with my harm ocd cuz I've had a relapse but like always it's always on the ocd everybody's know of I don't understand why they don't show patient with harm ocd it's like it's hidden from the world because it's about harming that's why it's so hard to explain to people what I got cuz there like that's not ocd you need to be locked up no one gets it! So I'm pretty upset I would of liked them to of shown this part of ocd no offence to the people on here that have that part of ocd!!I want people to know how hard it is for us to and that we are not dangerous! I'm very upset by it x

Guest hopebecauseucan

I wrote a post about this the other day but i think somone took it down not too sure why... I was also dissapointed in the program. It's got nothing to do with the fact that contamination ocd isn't as bad or anything ocd is ocd and its an horrible thing to deal with whatever form it takes but I do think other ocd should be talked about more and shown more. It's all about obsessive cleaners or whatever.... Not one person I have spoke to has ever thought there was anything more to ocd than that. It also makes it a lot harder for people with different ocd to be open and honest and probably makes it even more difficult to be diagnosed or reconised.

Guest Jennifer8

Yes, that thread just went missing all of a sudden. Then I panicked and thought it was my fault for drawing attention to one of the people, however, I was only standing up for this person because everyone on the thread was annoyed about the lack of focus on a certain kind of OCD and I thought this person had actually attempted to talk about it in the programme and did not get the chance. (does that make sense?)

So, sorry if it was my fault.....

Guest FobicFairy

Hi folks,

I thought the programme was really good and very touching in places. I burst into tears when Trisha hugged her mum.

I think it's much easier to portray contamination OCD than other types, you can't really show types of OCD that have no physical rituals, the same with the therapy required, it's tricky to show people sitting with the nasty thoughts in their mind. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted though.

It is time we saw different types of OCD talked about, but there is a problem I can see with making a programme about people that have paedophile OCD, and that is who would be willing to risk being filmed telling the entire country about it? Quite honestly speaking there is no way at all that I would do that, it would be misunderstood by some people and possibly bring danger to the person being filmed.

Would any of you with OCD thoughts about violence or abuse towards children be willing to talk openly about it on national TV? If so maybe you need to find someone to make a film about it. The people that made Monday nights programme may be worth contacting.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that while the documentary makers want to make a decent programme and really get the OCD message out there they still have to jump through certain hoops and the programme has to attract decent ratings, I know knowing that doesn't help matters but it does explain why it's not easy to get the sort of programme we would all like to see about other forms of OCD. My fear of a documentary about violent types of OCD is that it could end up just being made to try to gain ratings through shock tactics rather than talking about the issues seriously and sensitively.

I thought Hayley's OCD type came over really well so well done for sharing that Hayley, it's very brave of you. I remember meeting you years ago before I had my ERP treatment, so that's over 6 years ago, it's really awful that you are still suffering still with the same issues, bless you honey.

Thanks to all the OCD UK staff for continuing to raise awareness, there are other OCD charities but I don't think any have made bigger strides than OCD UK in getting the message out there. Rome wasn't built in a day so lets all carry on doing what we can to get the word out about the various flavours of OCD and hope another documentary will soon be in the making.

FF

Hi Legend,

So that wasn't my fault? Or was it? Have felt guilty since it vanished....

sometimes moderators make it invisible to discuss certain aspects , but I don't recall seeing it disappear at all.

don't worry matey xx its fine

just on the subject of media not covering other types of ocd , it looks like channel 4's bedlam is going to cover it to an extent.

reading their media page it promises to show a lady with an irrational fear of harming strangers, killing them and putting them in bins, a guy with a fear of soiling himself, and a guy with random obsessions like flicking light switches

at least this show seems to cover some different aspects of ocd . i think i read somewhere that peadeophile ocd is mentioned in this programme too , but for the life of me i cant now find it

maybe with both 'ocd ward' and 'bedlam' we will have it all covered this week fingers crossed

just found what i was looking for in the london evening standard newspaper

yes bedlam on channel 4 does cover peadeophile ocd - the guy who has toilet worries also had his ocd kicked off by news of jimmy savile abuse and has now got worries of becoming a peadeophile

just on the subject of media not covering other types of ocd , it looks like channel 4's bedlam is going to cover it to an extent.

reading their media page it promises to show a lady with an irrational fear of harming strangers, killing them and putting them in bins, a guy with a fear of soiling himself, and a guy with random obsessions like flicking light switches

at least this show seems to cover some different aspects of ocd . i think i read somewhere that peadeophile ocd is mentioned in this programme too , but for the life of me i cant now find it

maybe with both 'ocd ward' and 'bedlam' we will have it all covered this week fingers crossed

good news !! :)

I think people are perhaps misunderstanding the programme slightly, this was not necessarily a programme about OCD, and every aspect of OCD, but a programme primarily focussing on treatment the Springfield unit.

People are moaning that the programme did not cover XYZ, no matter what aspect of OCD is covered, people will still complain something else was not covered. But I have to look at the big picture, and that big picture is that it is the first programme about OCD of the year (if you exclude OCC), and it was a prime time 9pm on ITV1.

We will continue to work with film makers and give them feedback about other aspects of OCD, but if a film maker wants to make a programme about OCD, we should embrace that, regardless of the type of OCD told in that film.

Guest FobicFairy

Hi Eddy,

That sounds brilliant, I just hope it's been filmed well to show all those types of OCD and it really gets the message through of just how much suffering people go through.

Fingers crossed!

FF

I could scream, not at anyone here but at the producer of OCD Ward.

I knew the reaction here would be the response of many, if intrusive thoughts weren’t included and, as I keep saying, it’s what was asked of me and why I eventually agreed to participate. I just want to try to explain my frustration and express why I feel let down and misled. Initially, I spoke to Jo, the producer of the programme, and explained I am too ill to take part. She accepted this and just chatted about OCD in general, as well as how it affects me. However, she called again to ask if I’d reconsider. I made it clear I could let no one in my home. She then asked if I’d use a camcorder, if one was sent, and when I said ‘no’ to that, she tried to persuade me to use one with an underwater cover that I could wash. I said ‘no’ again and emphasized it would all be too much for me, and my husband would not allow filming in or around my home anyway.

Still focusing on my intrusive thoughts, which Jo seemed desperate to include, she asked if I could meet in a café or somewhere outside my home. I had been determined to visit my elderly mother this spring, and in the end I said if my mother agreed, maybe Jo could film there. Because I had said an emphatic ‘no’ to having a camera or anyone in or around the house, I assumed it would be a one off piece of filming. Jo covered a great deal in three hours and I left my mother’s house shattered. I won’t allow anyone to touch me, not even my husband and daughter, so my mother hugging me was terrifying as well as emotional, but when she stood there with her arms outstretched crying, what could I do…

I was very ill for the next three weeks (I am always ill after leaving the house, due to extreme fear and an immune system that barely functions). Jo waited for me to recover and then insisted (in a gentle, but persuasive manner) I did more filming. I saw her point of view, but was upset this had not been explained at the outset, for I would never have agreed to take part. Apparently, views of the small area of concrete where I do my laundry outside were important and shots of my back garden - parts of which I’ve not seen for fifteen years. I agreed that Jo and her colleague could film in the garden, but when I told my daughter she broke down sobbing (most out of character for my 30-year-old). She was so afraid I’d be very ill again, so I had to tell Jo ‘no’. She then said she would have to omit the footage round my mother’s and it would be doing us a disservice. It seemed like emotional blackmail.

Eventually, I agreed to take possession of a new camcorder that Jo sent and I did what was asked of me. Too much to explain here, but I found it harrowing. Jo kept pushing for things I had said I couldn’t do, or that my husband refused to allow. Wore down by it, I did more and more, including filming my parrot which she would not accept my repeated refusal over. Jo told me it would show how selective my contamination fears are…so I agreed, and spoke a few words while filming the bird. They were omitted, and, as I feared, people are now asking how I can handle a ‘dirty’ bird but not my grandchildren. I’ve lost friends over this and am distraught.

I have had months of extreme distress and I regret ever taking part. The one thing I wanted to convey, that Jo said was why I’d been chosen, was, as you all know only too well, is not included at all. Neither are the shots of the garden, which I was told were imperative and had to be included in order for the filming at my mother’s to be used. Jo was in a rush for me to return the memory card (admittedly bouts of vertigo and illness held me up) and the day before I was due to return it I woke up with a high fever and ear infection. Jo called and I told her I felt awful, but she listed the things she wanted me to film that day. I felt so ill, but I struggled to film the garden and a ‘demarcation‘ line in the kitchen she wanted included - all things my husband was so angry about being filmed. What a waste of my time and energy, and how right my husband and daughter were all along. I am in tears with the frustration of it all and feel betrayed to be honest.

Edited by Tricia

Hi Tricia,

My heart is breaking for you. I know a little about how much distress this has caused you and I am so, so sorry that it's turned out like this.

I know it won't be any consolation but the scene of you with your mum summed up for me the human side of OCD.

You are a remarkable woman, so incredibly strong. I wish I could say something to make it feel better for you.

You know where I am if there is anything I can do :hug:.

Hi Tricia,

I don't think i can say anymore than what northern star has said. It is just awful what you have gone through,and although your intrusive thoughts were not mentioned,you added a great deal to the programme,the scene with your mum had me in tears,it really showed the devastation this illness causes.

Thank you so much for doing the filming for all of us.

Take care Tricia

Love Daisy xx

I would like to thank you Tricia for being on that programme. I do the same things such as wash myself down in the garden after being out. I don't wear clothes around the house because they'd just get dirty and cause me more work so there's no point. No one ever gets in the house - not even the gas/electric meter reading people. I thought I was alone in what I did and that I was one of the most extreme ocd sufferers and that there was no hope for me but you showed that despite having severe ocd you've managed to have a family and your husband has remained with you and that's given me hope.

I was disappointed to see that Hayley doesn't seem much better than what she was years ago when she did that other documentary on ocd. but so happy that her husband is still there supporting her and loving her.

It'll be interesting to go back in a year's time and see what has happened to everyone on the programme. I used to be like the guy who couldn't touch his parents and I, like him, got through that and went back and everything was fine - for a while. but it came back and I'd be interested to see if his comes back too as I'm afraid unlike most people on here I do not give any credit to the 4 steps method or to cbt and am quite annoyed that no other method is even being looked at. It's as if cbt is apparently the magic bullet that everyone is using but no therapists are admitting that it doesn't work for loads of people and that they might be barking up the wrong tree.

Hi Tricia

I am so sorry that your experience was so traumatic and that it made you ill.

However, whet they did show was amazing in terms of how OCD can ruin lives - how debilitating it is.

You were incredibly brave to be on the show - bless you for agreeing to do it (albeit not as was explained to you - which is a terrible betrayal of trust) but know that your inclusion will have helped the whole awareness and developing understanding of OCD.

Take care

whitebeam

Edited by whitebeam
Guest Jennifer8

Hi Tricia

I am sorry that you went through all the trauma and stress of the programme for the producer to put even more pressure on you. They must not really understand OCD at all to think they can just push and push to get their way and not have terrible repercussions for the people involved.

I thought you showed amazing courage and I pray you will recover from OCD someday.

Thank you so much everyone. I’m in such a dark place right now (thoughts of ending it for the first time in many years) and your messages really have lifted me. I just hope my small part did some good, but from a personal perspective, so far, it’s only done harm. One friend (of over fifty years) put the phone down on me last night as soon as I said ’hello’. Two others are avoiding me like the plague.

When I first met the film producer, she said discussing my grandchildren on film would be likely to heal the rift, but that also appears to have backfired. From what I am hearing, I think my son was utterly embarrassed. I think people also think badly of me for ‘abandoning’ my elderly mother. What they don’t realize is, she doesn’t like me to visit, as my OCD really irritates her. She’s been like that with me since I was seven and vents her frustration every time we meet. The hug was so out of character, too, she didn’t even want to hug me on my wedding day.

I’ve just watched Bedlam and was so impressed. It shows how intrusive thoughts can be covered on television.

Dandielion, I know of no one else who washes down outside and can’t wear clothes in the house. Let’s hope it’s a mild winter and also that we can improve. I agree with your comments about a magic bullet, but attitudes will change as new treatments are discovered. The documentary didn’t say, but because of the wording, some people are assuming I’ve not tried therapy and medication. That is not the case!

By the way, I still disagree with Dr Andra Ion’s statement about us knowing how obsessions are absolute nonsense - not all of us do. I’ve looked at a site where a psychologist is also disagreeing with her. He went on to comment about another quote, that I also disliked, where one of the staff at the Springfield said “…and they’ve failed. Then they come to us.” The psychologist on the website made a remark that perhaps it reflects the attitude of the professionals on the programme. I hate it when anyone speaks of failure.