OCD to feel sorry for oneself? (not meaning to be offensive).

This is just a thought here, and I'm not sure it's worth even making this topic.

But is it possible that we might use OCD in a way to feel sorry for ourselves? Or to excuse ourselves from not doing certain work or performing at a certain level?

Or maybe to distract us from the harsh outer world?

I know myself how strong and how "physical" OCD can get, but I can't understand the root cause of it. It is the weirdest disease.

It is a weird disease, but I don't think you can say it is a means to feel sorry for ourselves.

What do you think about those who commit suicide because of the symptoms of their OCD or those for whom OCD ruins their life and that of their families?

It is not an excuse for feeling or behaving in a certain way, it is a totally debilitating disorder than can kill or ruin people's lives.

I understand what your saying I too feel like this sometimes, but I think its the ocd telling us this and probably people who don't have or understand ocd dont help us and so sometimes we think and doubt ourselves! But yeah....I too always think ocd this ocd that! And then I think am I doing this to get out of xyz..... but its still ocd cos your thinking and doubting what your thinking lol

I know baffles me too ;)

Guest Jennifer8

I don't think anyone has any choice about whether you have it or not, so therefore you can't "use" it as a way to feel sorry for yourself. You might feel bad about having it and feel very upset and depressed but that would make sense to feel like that.

A lot of people keep it to themselves, hidden from others to avoid judgement or misunderstanding, so it isn't something you would 'use' to get sympathy either. I do think the fear of it can stop you doing the things you want, or simply it becomes impossible to do the things you want to do. But I bet no one would have it if they could get rid of it easily. To take a single tablet and its gone for good - no one in the world would choose to keep OCD.

This is something I have heard from several people with OCD, but it has come from family members and then unfortunately they start to believe what they've been told.

I agree with what others here have written. Whitebeam is unfortunately right about the devastating consequences, and Jennifer's point about people keeping OCD hidden is very true. I may have appeared an exhibitionist recently! However, I spent most of my life trying to hide my OCD from all but my closest relatives. In fact, many of my symptoms I tried to hide as a child, and some I still do. It shocked and distressed me when my mother recently said she used to believe my hand washing and terror of germs (as a seven-year-old child) was an attention seeking ploy. I was living in terror and so thin (frightened to eat) with bleeding hands. I just can't understand her thinking!

Most people I know with OCD battle on and rarely moan. They certainly don't appear to feel sorry for themselves, even though they've drawn the short straw in life. Most have a good sense of humour, despite having a debilitating condition - and one which is still so misunderstood.

Edited by Tricia

I would much rather do things I didn't want or work hard at something I didn't like or see more about the world and how it can be a harsh place, than sit at home with OCD! I try not to feel sorry for myself but tbh that can be hard sometimes!!

but I can't understand the root cause of it

Interesting as it may be, it's not necessary to know or understand the root cause. OCD is an anxiety condition that can be triggered for many reasons.

It shocked and distressed me when my mother recently said she used to believe my hand washing and terror of germs (as a seven-year-old child) was an attention seeking ploy. I was living in terror and so thin (frightened to eat) with bleeding hands. I just can't understand her thinking!

I suppose Tricia that back then (as you and I know) there was virtually no information in the public domain for anyone like your Mum to know at that time. No Internet, magazine/newspaper articles, no daytime television programmes, nothing. Even Doctors who had heard the term thought it untreatable. In that respect, I guess your Mum came up with the only reason she could. None-the-less it is tragic.

Caramoole

to be honest super infinity I'm not sure what point you're really trying to make

To be fair to Super Infinity I think she's probably just like any of us who's brains churn these thoughts round and round, trawling for a reason, doubting and wondering if she's bringing it on her self, if she's choosing to be this way, if she's making excuses.

Sometimes the written word can be misinterpreted and cause offence when none was intended and I suspect that this is the case here.

Caramoole :)

To be fair to Super Infinity I think she's probably just like any of us who's brains churn these thoughts round and round, trawling for a reason, doubting and wondering if she's bringing it on her self, if she's choosing to be this way, if she's making excuses.

Sometimes the written word can be misinterpreted and cause offence when none was intended and I suspect that this is the case here.

Caramoole :)

yeah that's it exactly (I'm a he though). I can understand how it might be taken the wrong way.

I definitely don't mean expressing it to others, I clearly said for yourself and nothing about others. I also don't mean consciously doing it.

What I mean is that you know how you can get addicted to pain? Could it be for some reason that this flood of anxiety is on some subconscious level similar to that in some sort of way and that's why a part of your brain is bringing it on? And you also get the sympathy from yourself of "why does this sort of thing happen to me, it's not fair". It's just a thought, I'm not saying this is how it is or anything.

Sometimes that idea sounds strange to me as well but other times, I wonder. I think oetegenn1976 knows what I mean.

Edited by SuperInfinity