Took a huge step and shared my story on FB tonight.

Guest LauraMac

Guest LauraMac

Tonight I took a huge step and decided to share my story (http://ocdni.co.uk/stories/4580268125) on my facebook page. Although many of the people I work with new about my OCD, they didn't know the extent of it. The support I have received has been absolutely amazing, I'm in shock! The amount of people commenting and sharing the post has been absolutely amazing. Some great awareness has been raised.

The comments have been so kind, some so kind that they've left me in tears. This comment in particular got me: "I am with u hun ur our perfect gift at front of store and u dont get the credit that's due for the distress that u endure ...u know u can shout on me anytime xx" This guy has helped me so much and his understanding is fantastic. If everyone was like him our world would be a lot easier that's for sure!

The sense of relief I feel from sharing my story is amazing (it's like my deep dark secret is out) and it feels great! I hope this encourages you all.

All the best, Laura xxx

Guest itsnotmeitsmyocd

Awwwwwh Ms Mac,

I feel so happy for you hun, and reading your post bought a tear to my eye- a happy tear of course. That was a masive step and it's beyond brilliant that everyone has been so supportive :group: . xxx

Laura I am so pleased for you. I am sure this will help you going forward, knowing so many other people outside of this community also care is a great lift. It was brave, because you didn't know quite how people might react, so it is a good example of fighting and confronting our fears and being rewarded with a positive result back.

As I know you are aware, but for the benefit of others, I shared my story with my firm during awareness week, and have received nothing but encouragement and care back.

This is not always going to be the case, I think we have been fortunate, because there is still great lack of understanding of how serious OCD can be and the shattering effect it has on people, but well done you, brilliant.

Wish I was shopping in your store, sounds like you have a good interaction with the customers.

Guest LauraMac

Very brave wish I could do that

I'm sure you will be able to one day. If you had asked me a year ago would I do this, I would have said NO WAY!! I'm never would have thought I'd be able to. My confidence has grown over the year big style, the way I see it now is that; I can't help my condition and if people don't like it they can just leave me alone!!!

But everyone has accepted it and supported me. A couple of people at work today were saying my story made them have a cry.

Guest LauraMac

Yeah, I've found a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders which is good. It makes things a lot easier for me at work too, I have support whenever I need it. I believe it's definitely going to help aid me in recovery. It's also ended up aiding another member of staff who suffers from anxiety (with OCD tendencies). She's ended up being able to be a lot more honest about her condition ( she had never spoke about it to the staff before ). So I'm really happy she feels she can talk now, why should anyone have to hide a condition they can't help?! So hopefully she feels a lot more comfortable too. I suppose I'm very lucky in the people I work with in particular as they're very understanding.

Laura x

Guest LauraMac

You are the ocd ambassador where you work.Well done.People like you help get things changed.

Thanks, you're very kind! :)

Well done Laura, I wish I was as brave as you!!

Thanks Lucy :)

Laura xx

Guest Runnerchik

Well done, Laura!

My family's never been supportive of my struggles with ocd, expressing that I don't know what I'm talking about and to get a grip. WELL...during Thanksgiving, many friends of mine shared their struggles on Facebook. I took the same step you did and posted my struggles with ocd on Facebook. I told it all!!! The supportive responses were overwhelming! My family's approach and outlook of my ocd has now taken a turn for the best!

Many people are struggling out there. I'm finding that when you open up about your struggles, people aren't as bitter...we need the peace, love, and support in this world!!

Guest LauraMac

Well done, Laura!

Thanks Runnerchik, glad you sharing your experiences went well too. It's very true, I've found people are supportive when it comes to other peoples problems. I think the thought of people knowing is worse, incase someone's nasty. I think it would take a cruel person to be nasty about it though, we can't help are condition after all!! I too have been utterly overwhelmed by the support, particularly with work colleges. It's made things so much easier for me.

Laura xx