Can it be defeated without anxiety?

There are times when the thoughts come into my mind and I'm able to just dismiss them as nonsense and I suffer no anxiety which makes me feel as though there must be a way to get through this without facing any anxiety. So why is it that there are other times (well most of the time) when I have the doubt and anxiety? Surely if I can ignore it without anxiety sometimes then I should be able to ignore it without anxiety all the time? Or is this just wishful thinking? Is it perhaps a defence mechanism of the ocd that when it knows it's under threat, it cuts you some slack just to make you think you're getting better only to hit you with it full force a few days later? Folk say that the anxiety dissipates over time which perhaps it does but years pass me by and things that got 'contaminated' years ago still feel contaminated today which makes me believe that the feeling of things being dirty will never fade :(

Any advice anyone?

This does happen with my OCD. I can go for 3-4 years with my ocd just being background noise that doesnt cause me anxiety on a day to day basis. I put that down to the medication being the right balance for me. Unfortunately, I had another "episode of OCD" from November last year but this time its coming and going meaning that I will have days anxiety free and others where I will go home im tears to my boyfriend. I think its different for each person

Guest Runnerchik

A coping mechanism that I've learned for anxiety, is to focus on breathing. It takes the brains focus off from the ocd stimulus and helps to redirect focus in another direction.

Repetitive, threatful thoughts are all too common in my neck of the woods. My ocd is based on knowing what has happened every step of the way and/or why it has happened. I'm always analyzing, not fun!! I actually tell myself to, "stop it" at times and remind myself that if I can repeat what has happened then I already know exactly what and how it has happened.

There are also times where I tell myself just to deal with the anxiety because in the back of my mind, I know it's my ocd and it will pass.

Taking the vitamin b complex also seems to make thinking much more of a smoother ride for me throughout the day.

So you have to suffer the anxiety, doubts and worries and not give in to reassurance seeking, checking rituals, cleaning rituals etc.? Is that right? I'm just so worried that I'll not cope with the anxiety and have a complete breakdown and severely regret trying to resist the ocd. I couldn't cope if my ocd went through another severe dip in it's severity. When my 'safe' zone of my house became 'contaminated' it nearly finished me off and I'm scared to defy the ocd any more. I feel that I don't have any strategies for dealing with the anxiety. Thanks for the suggestion of the breathing exercises - I'll try that. Any other coping mechanisms anyone?

Cheers,

Donut