ocd about friends?

Guest tyga

Does anyone constantly worry about having friends? I am forever worrying if my friends like me or if i have enough friends. I worry if i am a good friend or that im not fun to be around and my friends just put up with me.

I know alot of this is rubbish and i sometimes have some really clear thoughts that make a lot of sense but they dont last long and i always go back to worrying. Its so chaotic in my head i just can't think straight. There r just so many things to worry about and i can't stop worrying about them ever.

Anyway, just needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

Tyga

Hi Tyga :censored:

I am often worrying a lot about whether or not people (friends) hate me. I know this is OCD but even knowing that I can't always resist the urge to ask for reassurance about whether or not someone hates me :crybaby:.

Stay strong :censored:

Hi tyga.....sometimes I think I border on paranoia thinking people don't like me :censored: . It is all part of the broader OCD picture so its worth remembering that. Don't worry, it is usually the sensitive souls like yourself who actually do have the friends!

Catherine :censored:

You're right. but its the little things like a look or a tone of voice that makes me worry. Or one friend wont tell me something but will tell another friend and i get paraniod that they like them more than me. It sounds so high schoolish i know but thats what i think!

I think Jo's advice is good. As with any 'relabelling' of thought ie it's the OCD, not me, it does take a lot of practice and perseverance. At first you think its a waste of time, but after a few weeks its amazing how your outlook can become more positive.......honestly :censored:

Guest Enable

Hi tyga,

I can really identify with this... I used to often get the feeling that people didn't trust me or didn't like me. This really used to worry and frustrate me. I would (mis)interprate body language and tone of voice to always assume the worst. I used to be so bad that on some days I found it really difficult to concentrate on important things - it was an endless cycle of doubts. But don't fear, you can stop this. You just have to keep telling yourself it is not real and it is the OCD playing up... you haven't got time to keep endlessly pleasing people and bending over backwards to be in all the good books. Firstly, your OCD is forcing your mind to repeatedly focus on the negatives - break out of this habbit by identifying the thoughts and distracting you mind towards something pleasant. Secondly, remember that often what you perceive to be a negative reaction to you is probably only a reflection of something the other person is thinking about in relation to their life (i.e. they are probably unhappy/thinking about with something else).

I am still trying to cope with these issues, but I know I am applying the right strategy. Like anything in life, it just takes time and experience.

Let us know how things go...

Take care,

Enable