THE LINDEN METHOD

Guest Jamesp

It wouldn't surprise me if eventually one of those contributors on that site became so angered that they take it a step further and this whole debate became much more public than what appeared to start simply as a dissatisfied Amazon .

yes, I think he has already pushed a few to the brink.

Guest Gale1982

There's an old saying - give someone enough rope and they'll hang themselves - Problem is, I don't think there's enough rope in this case... Is anyone else starting to think that he actually believes what he's saying? I've never seen anything like it. I almost feel sorry for the poor guy.

I think you're all rotten!!

That poor chap has received, read and replied (personally) to 974 e-mails today. Given one minute each to both read, consider and respond that's 16 Hours and 14 minutes...not to mention all the time taken to respond to the Amazon stuff and have a cup of tea, go to the loo etc.

Shame on all of you

Caramoole :(

I think you're all rotten!!

That poor chap has received, read and replied (personally) to 974 e-mails today. Given one minute each to both read, consider and respond that's 16 Hours and 14 minutes...not to mention all the time taken to respond to the Amazon stuff and have a cup of tea, go to the loo etc.

Shame on all of you

Caramoole :(

:lol:

Guest Gale1982

I know, it's unbelievable.

At one point he says: "Could you please post your full name... address, work address and a photo here..." This alone I find extremely disturbing.

Me too, it sent shudders up my spine. I think there is quite enough information on that thread now to help people make up their own minds. I hope he comes back though, just want to read what says next...I wonder if that trial data will come through?

Yes, I suspect the "trial data" will not be the sort of data which is peer reviewed, regulated and published in an independent journal... I suspect it will consist of surveys taken by people contacted via social media who have already stated they had a positive experience (this based on his request for surveys on his Facebook page). This is all just speculation though - he may surprise us and provide some proper, robust trial data.

A further article from Paul Salkovskis re. Linden Method: http://psychonoclast.wordpress.com/2014/04/27/1-part-1-the-history-of-my-early-contact-with-the-linden-method/

For anyone who doesn't know who Prof Salkovskis is - he's a professor of clinical psychology, a patron of OCD UK (I think anyway - am I right about this?) and a leading expert on OCD. So he def knows what he's talking about.

http://psychonoclast.wordpress.com/

Taken from Pauls Blog

I will be putting up a series of blog posts. The overall title should be “The Linden Method, presenting “the truth”, and some thoughts on what it means when fair criticism of a commercial organisation by organisations led by people with personal experience and charities results in threats of legal action.”

For me, what has been going on raises questions about the impact of money, power, the place (or not) of marketing in mental health, freedom of expression and criticism, “expert” endorsement, and the need to regulate the “self help” market in the context of extraordinary claims lacking in substance.

In part 1, I will first discuss why I was asked to review the Linden Method and what happened over the following years and concerns I have about Linden’s behaviour towards people who run helpful bulletin boards for people with anxiety problems.

In part 2, I will bring things up to date, and in particular consider the rulings of the Advertising Standards Authority against the Linden group’s advertising.

In part 3, I will specifically address the critique made by Linden of my review, comprehensively refuting it.

In part 4, I will examine the science which is claimed to lie behind the Linden Method, finding it completely wanting.

In part 5 I will examine Claims of efficacy for the Linden Method, finding them completely empty of value.

Finally I will summarise the whole lot, trying to draw it together.

I will add these sections over the next few days

Please note: I am happy to allow parts of these posts to be reproduced by mental health charities registered with the Charities Commission, provided that a link to the original blog post is also included. Private individuals may use links to this blog but should seek individual permission to reproduce sections to ensure that context is retained. I deny permission to any company, group of companies or individual connected with such companies who have a judgement made against them by regulatory bodies including but not confined to the Advertising Standards Authority, as I would personally regard this as a serious violation of ethics.

Guest legend

I think he was just meaning it would make an interesting story for a journalist, that's how I read it

yep , sorry for getting that wrong !! 3 steps ahead