THE LINDEN METHOD

Guest Jamesp

Google don't care, nor do Amazon provided they are earning money. Neither did the BPS and BACP when I contacted them both last year about their logo being used the way it is (lost respect for both organisations for that).

My advice is we do not engage the man in silly tit-for-tat and we ensure this thread remains factual and non-libellous so that desperate people seeking for help that come on here can read for themselves and make their own informed decision on giving TLM a go or not.

His dig earlier I suspect was more at me than the charity, but his accusation that we are a group of 'sufferers club' shows he simply does not have a clue. If anything, I am accused of being too gung-ho with my pushing people to recover. I guess he did not like me calling him Charlie ;) lol.

The silly thing is, despite him appearing not to be a very nice man from his online comments, if his Method was shown in clinical trials to be effective (and safe) I am sure the charity would be happy to recommend it when asked for self-help material recommendations.

if his Method was shown in clinical trials to be effective (and safe)

I appreciate that it must be very difficult to run any form of true clinical trial, certainly in using sufficient numbers of people to make it worth considering the outcome. I'd apply that to people like the Speakmans, to hypnotists and to other alternative methods. I don't have a problem with things that aren't necessarily mainstream (provided they're safe, work for most and the provider is honest about the nature of their qualification or lack of). I don't even have a problem with people making money, it's what everyone does whether it's someone selling toilet rolls, running a fancy restaurant or earning a lot of money as a Doctor, it's the way the world goes round.

BUT If you put yourself out there making big claims for a particular service, whatever it is, I think you have to be prepared for all feedback good and bad. Word of mouth is a very powerful form of advertising, particularly with the benefit of the Internet. If there is a massive amount of positive feedback, of success... it will be quickly evident everywhere. I can understand someone wanting to protect their method, their reputation, if it is a good one. It doesn't surprise me either when someone desperately defends a method which is making or could make them a lot of money.....but that's when warning bells start to ring loud and clear. When someone is vociferous, litigious, threatening, bullying, dismissive of all other methods, refuses to accept that occasionally their method isn't always successful....then those bells are often heard far and wide.

He has responded to one Amazon commenter with (direct quote) 'I know who you are and the police are aware of what you are doing...' Whether this is right or wrong (obviously there is always a context to these things), it should set alarm bells ringing when a private company starts making statements such as this on a review forum.

Again I want to reiterate what I wrote last night.

My advice is we do not engage the man in silly tit-for-tat or make accusations which could be libellous. I can not control what people do on other websites, but I urge people not to make comments which get themselves into legal trouble, and get discussions closed down for legal reasons. We have to ensure all threads on Amazon and elsewhere remain factual and non-libellous so that desperate people seeking for help can read for themselves and make their own informed decision on giving TLM a go or not.

That thread does the Linden Method no favours from all the unanswered questions about his claims about his Method and his style of responding to people shows the type of person he is. We need that thread to remain open.

You're right Ashley - although it is tempting to respond to him in an inflammatory fashion (a temptation I sometimes give in to :s ) it is important to remain factual and allow people to make judgments for themselves.

If anyone is reading this and interested in the Linden Method, then I would say - from what I can gather, there are both helpful and unhelpful aspects, some people have been helped a great deal (even cured) whereas others have not. However a lot of the info is available free elsewhere.

The link for the Amazon discussion in question is here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R22P9K96N603K1/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg4?ie=UTF8&asin=0954980301&cdForum=Fx3IOAS8L1XGV0G&cdPage=4&cdSort=newest&cdThread=Tx1Z7SEXUTWW3Y1&store=books#wasThisHelpful. It also includes a copy of a review written by Professor Paul Salkovskis.

Guest legend

but they are allowing people to go down a path , which might not be the correct route !! so maybe not "endorsing" but allowing

it to be on there site,

One wonders then , who reviewed it on behalf of nhs choices ?