The House of Obsessive Compulsives

Does anyone plan on putting the Daily Mail article on the web? Will it be available on the OCD-UK site? I didn't get it today but would still like to see the article (and pictures!)

Cheers

Heryn

54946[/snapback]

I could not find it on their website. It is worth buying the Daily Mail on Tuesday too.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wendy

Hi Stephen :box: !

I am reasonably pleased with the interview - but about the BB references???! :D

PLEASE don't put piccy up it's dreadful!!!!!!!!! :)

Ch. 4 reckon they will be 'trailing' the prog. about 10 days before.....could be anytime now.....I was supposed to be informed exactly when but haven't been, so if anyone sees it post here please!!

Love Wendy-Beth xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest Creative Cat

Hi,

I live in the U.S. and cannot access this OCD House program. Could anyone refer me to the website for this broadcasting company so I can see if there is some other way that I can view it?

thank you,

Marie

Guest Nicky

I've just been to look at the website for this documentary and was very surprised. I must admit that I think it's going to be completely different to what I thought.

Thank you Kirstie for putting the info in this thread. Just hearing about things is completely different from reading it.

Cheers,

Nicky

XXX

Hi Wendy and Heryn

No, I won't put your picture up, Wendy! I can't anyway.

Ashie - is it OK (copyright-wise) to type in the text of the Daily Mail Saturday article? If so I can post it here (minus the pictures of course).

Thanks

Stephen

Guest Creative Cat

Hi Kirstie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to put up those weblinks for me. I really appreciate it :)

Take care,

Marie

I just emailed my mother to watch it - and record it, preferably on to DVD.

Btw - she is the Senior Lecturer in Applied Social Sciences & Community Studies at Liverpool John Moores University - a useful source of information on how to deal with my cr*p.

I also asked her to kind of publicise the programme to within her network of contacts - like some of you said, raising awareness is half the battle.

She speaks on community mental health care across the world and is off to China soon, hopefully.

Guest madasafish

I hate to be the one peeing on the fire again but i am dreading the broadcast of this programme.

the reason being that my friends and family invariably see a programme like this and start lecturing me on how easily i could get over this if i pulled myself together,and it depresses me.mostly because i also have self esteem issues and that sort of comment makes me feel a failure

i am inspired by anyone who conquers this illness,and i know- boy do i know how hard it is to confront that fear,it is simply that communicating the level of fear to anyone who hasnt got it does not seem to be possible as -in my experience at any rate , they simply do not believe that something like i describe would be capable of generating so much fear.

people do not understand that it is possible to become terrified of going out,

i take my hat off to everyone involved in advance you are inspirational, and very brave , and i wish i were as brave as you.

you are indeed an inspiration to all of us

Professor Salkovskis was on BBC Radio 4's 'Midweek' talking about the show earlier today and it will be repeated on Radio 4 at 9:30pm tonight.

You can also listen to it on the web: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/midweek.shtml

The broadcast starts by talking to a magician before moving onto the OCD House feature.

Was great to hear Paul shoutdown one of the other studio guests who tried to say his habit of shutting his draw at night was the same :)

"...from revealing rabbits to removing habits..." :lol2:

Oh and who was that utter FOOL talking about the drawer........?

The presenter at least sounded like she had bothered to check up on what she was talking about. Some interesting seemingly-deliberate expressions of misconception to elicit the truth from the good doctor.

This Paul guy too sounds like he really knows his 'nanas. Also makes me feel a lot better about the 'entertainment' aspect of the programme. Sounds good.

Also, the report on the effects of CBT make me even more determined to seek it.

Thanks for the link. All sceptics (like I tend to be at times!) should listen to this before watching the show, to hopefully dispell some of the worries.

Guest Trish
I hate to be the one peeing on the fire again but i am dreading the broadcast of this programme.

the reason being that my friends and family invariably see a programme like this and start lecturing me on how easily i could get over this if i pulled myself together,and it depresses me.mostly because i also have self esteem issues and that sort of comment makes me feel a failure

55510[/snapback]

I agree and empathize with every word!! One good thing is that as my mother hasn't spoken to me since January's documentary (we fell out over it) at least I don't need to worry if she watches the next ones. She can't think I am more of a failure than she already does, and I won't get to hear about it this time!!

I have a friend whose husband has really become impatient with her since the last documentary. He now keeps telling her that she just needs to try harder.

A neighbour remarked to a friend of mine, after seeing the last documentary, “What a shame your husband hadn’t been brave enough to face therapy, he would have been cured”. The man in question had recently died, but he had faced therapy on many occasions. It simply hadn’t worked. I know CBT is very effective, but it isn’t the answer for everyone. Even for those who are brave enough to face weeks or months of it!! You can imagine how distressed my friend was by the comments.

I wrote to Professor Salkovskis, following January's documentary, to explain how such a positive perspective could have a negative effective on those who haven't responded to treatment. I was particularly concerned with the narrator's comments, when she said that one in three sufferers is too terrified to face treatment and therefore remains trapped in the vicious circle of OCD. It gave the impression that the brave two thirds were cured, and that those still with OCD were perhaps just not courageous enough. Yes, it takes courage to face fears, but many of us have faced our fears with no positive results. Professor Salkovskis kindly wrote back to me (You can read his long reply in the thread in his name). He was sympathetic and stated that nothing helps everyone, he added that dealing in generalities can be dangerous, as I had pointed out.

P.S. I like your first sentence, 24/7!!

Love,

Trish.

I wish I could claim it as mine - sadly not - it was the presenter's line during the link from the magician to Dr Paul.

Okay, I take the point that CBT doesn't work for anyone (I doubt anyone in that field would claim it does!) but for some people, CBT might be the only (conventional) thing left to try!

I'm with my mother on this one anyway - only a combination of things will work (e.g. meds and therapy, not just one or the other) and the trick is to find the right combination.

55510[/snapback]

I too am dreading the broadcast of this programme.

My problem is that my OCD is never as extreme as the people on tv and I think that friends and family that know that I have OCD will just think i'm a hypercondriac which will make me feel awful.

I agree with it being put on tv though and i'm sure it will help to raise awareness, if it wasn't for programmes like these I would still be living with OCD and would have never found this place which has helped me lots, I don't post often but am always looking :censored:

Hi Pearl......

There's quite a thorough and well-worth-reading-all-the-way-through thread further down about this very subject. It's red and called "The House Of Obsessive Compulsives".

Opinion in the thread is mixed but largely positive.

*Edit* - I see Catherine has merged threads. Read this entire thread, Pearl - then realise that I cannot see the programme :) (yet)

Guest Mojito

I don't like the sound of this programme - I suspect it'll end up trivialising OCD and turning it into a Big Brother-style freak show.

I wish they'd make a serious documentary about the subject instead, but I imagine they couldn't market that as easily.

I don't like the sound of this programme - I suspect it'll end up trivialising OCD and turning it into a Big Brother-style freak show.

55753[/snapback]

I would urge you to watch it before commenting. It as been marketed in a certain way to get viewers, I am told that it is not actually a BB style show and those people that have seen it seem to think it comes across fine.

That said I have not seen it myself, so I await with baited breath as they say.

Guest Bell Jar

i just saw the end of the advert on Channel 4 today as i was channel hopping. i'm about to go watch Big Bro so hopefully it'll come on again!