The House of Obsessive Compulsives

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScottOCDid

Please note that sleepwalking and OCD fear of sleepwalking are NOT the same!!!!

OCDers who fear sleepwalking actions will NOT carry them out; the programme sufferer has 2 separate conditions!

Guest patsy
Please note that sleepwalking and OCD fear of sleepwalking are NOT the same!!!!

OCDers who fear sleepwalking actions will NOT carry them out; the programme sufferer has 2 separate conditions!

56546[/snapback]

Thanks for clearing that up Scott :) I was getting a bit worried

Guest Pootle

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

SO :) BRAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRILLIANT-

hope you dont mind the caps or the swearing!!! Feel quite overcome.

Wendy wen you were saying goodbye to your husband I cried so much- i knew what that meant- i knew that fear so well. My partner also nearly cried coz he knew what your husband felt like....

v v powerful..

thanks for being so brave and letting us in.

Guest Lizbeth

Watched the programme with muse_man...I will write more later (oh yes, I always have an opnion :) )....I think they're all so brave but it's kind of made me cry thinking about things and things that were said....we are both a bit overwhelmed but we both wanted to say that we think Wendy is so brave and an inspiration.

xxxJadexx

Guest Chrystal

This was the first OCD programme where I didn't feel ashamed or embarressed (for myself) watching it.

Wendy you were great as was the other lady. I could have gone over there and hugged Gerrard when Prof told him all the time he has wasted on OCD when he was in the kitchen.

One thing to comment on tho. ... I think they should hve explained that the three went thru some therapy beforehand (ie. Ashley's comments about the toilet).

When the other lady more or less straight away put her hand into the toilet, it looked too easy and we all know full well OCD is not easy to live with and definately not easy to overcome.

:) to everyone!

Guest Gurstang

:thumbup::thumbup:

After seeing tonights episode i must say how brave i think they must have been.

I could really empathise with the panic attack,to face up to wendy's fears like that was amazing but the attacks show that it wasn't an easy thing to face.

I'm looking forward to next week to see how the progress went.

we need more shows that highlight this issue, it would make acceptance of us easier for the common public and maybe we could stop hiding.

:)

I think the show was great. I am glad that they have aired it. I can totally relate to the people there and I think it's nice that the programme is focused on the recovery and not just the disorder in general.

I can't wait for next week.

Well done everyone who took part. :)

Guest dylan

Wow - have just watched the programme. First thing- hats off to Wendy,Sophie and Gerry. I really felt for them and what they were suffering. Must admit I had a tear in my eye a couple of times listening to them and watching them struggle. Great to see how supportive they were to each other. Isn't it so true that it is only other OCD sufferers who really understand what it is like with this torment. And interesting that this was the first time any of them had met a fellow OCDer. It really is the secret illness. I have had OCD for about 40 years and the first time I met another OCD sufferer was at the OCD UK conference in stirling - and what an amzing relief it was to know you are not alone.

Thought it was good that it ended with Wendy's panic attack. Cos up to then it was all looking a bit too easy. For me the programme's weakness was in not showing enough of the therapy involved. It homed in on the behaviour therapy bit of CBT and not enough attention was paid to the cognitive part. I feel that it is the cognitive part that makes the behavioural stuff work and stick - but we didn't see any of that. Without that it did kind of make the treatment look too easy " Oh you don't like doing x,y or z so we will just get you to do those then " type of thing - c ould make it all seem too simple to the uninformed viewer. I am sure a lot went on beforehand to get all three to do the things they did but we didn't see any of it.

Still on balance I thought it was good. I was worried that it might be sensationalist and freak-showish - but in fact it was quite sympathetic. Think it would get across to people just how awful this illness is. And I am sure everyone watching would have ended up rooting for Wendy, Sophie and Gerry. Can't wait to see how they get on next week!

Oh, and it was good to hear Dr Who narrating the show - maybe he could use his sonic screwdriver to help in the cure!!!

Dylan

Guest PatsyG

Also felt very touched by this programme, just hearing the word ocd mentioned on a tv doc is like amazing.

Really felt with everyone...

Had a good cry and feeling loads of different emotions right now.

Those 3 can be soooo proud of themselves! :)

Guest strawberry

:) Hi I'm new to the forum and have just watched this programme and I just wanted to wish everyone who took part huge success. This is the first time I have ever felt compelled to join an OCD forum but I felt I had to lend my support. I really felt for everyone concerned as only a fellow sufferer can, the program brought back so many memories. I consider myself (after suffering for 20 years) to be (99%) cured. The programme showed me how far I have come, what I have achieved and what I have managed to leave behind. I hope that it will have positive effects for other sufferers.

Very Best of Luck to Everyone

Guest Wendy

Sooooooooooooooo?

Not TOO bad then? Must admit had seen this one last week.....but sworn to secrecy!

Originally was made to be very factual but re-cut to show a more 'human angle'.

I haven't seen the second one yet though!!!!!!!!!!

Was flying around London today...2 slots on GMTV, Doctor, Doctor, Radio 5 live (the Victoria Derbyshire Show) can hear it on 'listen again'.(11.40a.m. ish)

Wednesday Sky News.

Later in 'Woman's Own'.

Sophie's Story in Grazia magazine (1st Aug)

Going to make sure the whole of GB knows about OCD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou all for your comments it's our Year!!!!

Love as always.Wendy x x x x x x x

p.s. Was that really me on GMTV...thanks Kirstie :dry:

Guest strawberry

Thank you for your welcome Gayle.

As I think the programme tonight showed, support for fellow sufferers makes a huge difference.

Guest patsy

Hi Wendy,

You've done really well. Congratulations. You should be proud of yourself for achieving what you have. Looking forward to seeing next week's programme.

I saw you on Channel 5 this morning too and you looked wonderful.

Love Patsy xx