Problems with being in cars

Hi All

It has been a long time since I last posted and overall I do feel a lot better. I recently felt my anxiety returning and have gone to my GP and know it will get better. I have something I want to ask you all. I want to know it my latest anxiety is OCD or a phobia. I wish to know this so that if it is OCD then I can use the methods I now know to overcome this.

I have always been a bit anxious with being in cars, I do not drive and I am the passenger. I was in a car accident many years ago and it comes from that. My recent fear is that when driving along a road the car will go to the side of the road and hit the curb, this will cause an accident. So is this OCD or a phobia

Blessings

Ron

Treatment for phobias is similar to treatment for OCD anyway so you could use methods you've learnt for OCD. Expose yourself gradually to your fear - sitting in a car, a short journey with someone you trust, a longer journey and so on.

Guest BugGirl44

Hello!

I guess it could be a phobia. I witnessed someone being hit by a car and they died and my OCD stopped me driving. I am currently trying to drive again at the moment and its a huge fear. My compulsion is not to drive or to neutralise when I do, as I have to be with someone. My obsession is that which is similar to yours and that I fear something will happen, like I may be in an accident. I think if you stop being a passenger then it can develop into a compulsion. Its a tricky one, and horrible.

Wishing you the best.

:)