Herbal remedies for OCD or depression??

Guest vicki

Guest vicki

Hi,

I haven't posted anything on this board for ages, but I continue to check it regularly and find it very useful and reasurring, so thanks to everyone who keeps it going!

I have mild OCD, (repeating, praying, checking) and wondered if anyone knows of any herbal supplements that are known to help OCD, mild depression or anxiety?

I have searched on the internet, and have read that St John's Wort and 5HTP are good for mild depression. Has anyone taken these or any other herb remedies, and found that they had a positive effect on their OCD?

Thanks,

Vicki xx

Guest patsy

Hi Vicki,

I have tried St. John's wart and to be honest I didn't really feel it helped much with the OCD but possibly I never really gave it much of a chance. Problem was my depression was so severe at the time and I couldn't take them with my prescription meds. However, I do know a couple of people who have taken it for longer and that have said it really helped for depression. Perhaps it would be worth a try if you prefer herbal medicine. Maybe it would be helpful for your ocd if it could lift your mood a little. Have you tried calms for your anxiety? I used to take them way back and found that they did help me to relax a little. I also tried another one from Potters called New Relax. I don't know if you can still get it but I found it quite good as well. I don't take anything like that now because over the years I have become much worse and have to take prescribed medication.

Hope this helps

love Patsy x

Guest think2much

Hi vicki,

I tried 5htp for about 6 weeks about a year ago. Unfortunately, the only thing I noticed was that it gave me some mild stomach pain. I was disappointed, particularly as it was so expensive. It is marketed as a chemical precursor to tryptophan, which is a very effective anti-depressant, but very rarely prescribed due to a contamination problem at one pharmaceutical company during the 80s, which sadly led to some deaths. Unfortunately this one incident at this one company tarred the drug forever more, and so people have tried 5htp as a replacement. There is controversy over whether it really can replace tryptophan, and it is fair to say the supplement is nowhere near as effective. However, it seems some users have had good results, and may be worth trying.

I also tried St John's Wort for a couple of months, and again, the only effect it had was to give me generalised aching all over my body. I didn't realise it was the SJW that was causing the aching until I forgot to take it two days, and all the aches suddenly disappeared. However, again, there have been many trials which have found it suitable for use as a mild antidepressant, and it is prescribed by doctors in Germany. I think I also read an article where it proved to provide some OCD relief in a trial also. If you try it out, be sure to get a good make, with standardised dosage. Recent studies have shown marked differences in the amount of active ingredient in different brands. In the clinical trials I have read, they have used Kira; although expensive, I think this is probably the safest bet.

One herbal remedy that I have found quite effective for anxiety is passiflora; I buy 'Quiet Life' (you can get it at Boots, Tesco, most chemists). I think it can take the edge of anxiety a little, and I have definitely found that it helps me a good night's sleep.

It's not a herbal remedy, but I think that magnesium and calcium supplements are good if you feel anxious a lot of the time, they can help relax the muscles a little.

The most effective supplement I have found to give some relief from depression is cod liver oil. I buy the orange syrup variety, and it is extremely obvious to me when I have forgotten to take it for a couple of days as my depression starts to hit very hard again. I can find myself sitting crying, and then slowly realising - I have not taken the fish oil for a couple of days! A couple of days back into it, and it starts resolving again.

I certainly think that being able to lower anxiety and depression levels, even just a little, definitely has a positive effect on OCD; things don't feel quite so overwhelming or hopeless.

Hope you find something to suit you, take care.

• 2 months later...
Guest vicki

I just wanted to share my experience since I wrote this post a few months ago.

After posting this I took the advice of think2much and starting taking fish oil supplements.

Since then, I have felt a huge improvement in how I feel mentally. I only suffer from mild OCD and depression, but I feel much happier and more positive. I was sceptical and didn't really expect much from it, but must admit that I am now convinced that it has helped me.

I know that a lot of people have more severe forms of OCD than myself and it isn't a magic cure, but I just wanted to say that it is worth a go!!

So thanks for the advice. This board is so valuable as a place to share information.

Cheers

Vicki xx

Guest Rainbow Warrior

Vicki,

Glad to hear the fish oils have been of benefit.......should also improve the functioning of your joints!

I tried 5-Hydroxy Tryptophan (Holland & Barretts) but found it increased my anxiety levels within a day of starting and so stopped after a few days. Maybe if I stuck with it the reverse would happen but I haven't tried.

5HTP is the precursor of serotonin which is believed to be one of the neurotransmitters involved in the biochemical explanation of OCD (as is, I believe, dopamine). Anxiety decreases because of an increase in the concentration of serotonin in the brain.

Please note: I have seen it written that those on Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) (e.g. Prozac) should not take 5-HTP.

RW

:D