The Speakmans

Guest Tricia

I haven't watched it, so can't comment on any specifics, but from what I've read about it, I do wonder if the favourable outcomes this type of programme seems to produce has as much to do with the thing being filmed/broadcast and participants feeling almost obligated to provide a nice tidy happy ever after ending for the production company/viewers.

Guest legend

I haven't watched it, so can't comment on any specifics, but from what I've read about it, I do wonder if the favourable outcomes this type of programme seems to produce has as much to do with the thing being filmed/broadcast and participants feeling almost obligated to provide a nice tidy happy ever after ending for the production company/viewers.

yep

I haven't watched it, I'm not sure I will tbh, so can't comment on any specifics, but I do wonder if the favourable outcomes this type of programme seems to produce has as much to do with the thing being filmed/broadcast and participants feeling almost obligated to provide a nice tidy happy ever after ending for the production company/viewers.

Or as seems to have been alluded to on many websites that discuss the Speakman's on ITV, they choose their participants carefully.

It's online now for people to watch: https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/the-speakmans/series-1/episode-1

Okay....... Watched it now. Forgetting all the Barbie hairstyles etc and the TV style Pazazz, can't say I necessarily agree with you Ashley. The "Blame" I saw as reality (and not unjustified) ....the "Handcuffs" a brief, symbolic exercise (non-damaging)

I know little about the Speakmans.......or their methods.... But I'll continue to watch and appraise with an open mind and see what evolves.

Caramoole :(

I just think it is wrong to make the therapy be all about blame, justified or not. I really hope that people watching this are not put off going for therapy because they fear they will be blamed for having an illness.

If we have a kid with OCD, would it be acceptable to simply blame them for what their illness is causing them to do and the impact on their family? I really hope not, so Speakman's style of 'allowing the patient to be blamed for the impact on the family' is not acceptable in my opinion, and not allowing that to be filmed in front of camera. Sorry Caramoole, one we will have to agree to disagree on this.

An interesting start to the programme today, it is a good look at how OCD can impact on people, including the severity, but it does sort of 'freak show' people with OCD, and certainly makes her out to be a dangerous driver, I do hope viewers don't assume we are all doing rituals like that when driving.

Today is slightly better, there is more therapy and less blame, although the blame part was still there, but again Speakman seems to be going down the 'little girl never grew up' model as yesterday. Some of what he spoke about how bad things do not happen was helpful, although of course if we could stop doing our rituals we would not have OCD.

The programme is rather weird though, both yesterday and today they person with the illness recovers after a brief chat with Speakman's, 'why would I bite that?' she asks, so are we really thinking after years of OCD she is able to overcome it within 5 minutes of chatting to the Speakmans. They then have a racetrack booked for filming the same day. Call me cynical, but I wonder how genuine this is.

I missed todays . Out of interest did they say at the end if you are suffering where to seek help from ?

No, although not all programmes do that Legend, but in their case, you assume they don't want to be pointing people in our direction because we would be directing then to CBT.

Guest legend

No, although not all programmes do that Legend, but in their case, you assume they don't want to be pointing people in our direction because we would be directing then to CBT.

surely itv should have a care of duty ?

And take a look at there twitter feed !! some of the crass comments they have made , especially the ocd friendly

group from the world cup !! deary me

Sorry Caramoole, one we will have to agree to disagree on this.

I think we probably will on the issue of blame. It just didn't come across to me in the same way as it did to you. It wasn't critical, admonishing or reproachful particularly, more an explanation of how we put these rules and rituals in place and (in the Mums case) how they can be inadvertently supported and sustained albeit with good intent.

Watched yesterday's programme on OCD. Looked promising to begin with, but to suggest that after one day they can get rid of someone's OCD simply by telling them that what they are doing is ridiculous is insulting to anyone who has gone through all the many sessions of CBT, etc. My own OCD came from PTSD. Unfortunately the PTSD was missed by everyone I saw and they only homed in on the OCD. Needless to say I did not improve after my CBT sessions. It was only when the PTSD was diagnosed that things changed. All this has taken many months of sessions both NHS and private. I see the Speakmans are tackling PTSD at the end of this week. I don't think I'll watch it.

Guest paramoregirl

I watched this. Hmmmm I am not opposed to alternate therapies and anything that helps people I am all for. However i do look on these people as slightly too good to be true and they almost view themselves as god like. I thought the episode with the lady with trichtollmania was very good though. My trichtollmania started when I was 12 due to being bullied like the woman in the programme. I could really relate and a lot of what the speakmans said rang true for me. X

Edited by paramoregirl
I am not sure if it is a review or not, it was written a week ago before the programme went out.

Copies are usually sent out to the press before broadcast I think, in the hope I guess, journalists will drum up interest.
Guest LauraMac

The Speakman's absolutely sicken my happiness! Not to put too fine a point on it! Haha!

These quick 'cures' they are showing are ridiculous. I actually told them on twitter that I was very concerned that it was portrayed as a quick 5 minute fix and there response was 'we spent a whole afternoon talking'. Like that was a long time! 18 years of OCD and apparently they solve it in an afternoon. Emm I'm very skeptical indeed!

The other thing that's been odd and shows their true colours, is that they are blocking ocd sufferers from their twitter when they produce concerns to them. They make a reply saying they're there to listen etc, then block you. I'm happy for sufferers who have benefitted but I really don't see it as a long term cure for these people. I'll stick to CBT, it's done me a world of good. That's actually another thing that annoys me. I've been doing CBT for a year, doing really tough exposures, going through panic & they make a 'cure' look easy. Bit annoying that!! I've been through really tough times trying to beat ocd, it's not as easy as; let's have a chat and we'll sort it out in an afternoon! I wish it was though! Lol

Edited by LauraMac

I thought this was a good review.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-reviews/speakmans-can-fill-world-cup-shaped-3861542

With this comment being my main concern, well that and people will pay them £1000 (reputed session fee) and not get any benefit.

Of course, there is a nagging fear this light approach to mental issues could lead to those with genuine life-destroying conditions being viewed the same way.
Guest LauraMac

Yeah absolutely agree. Thanks for sharing that Ash, good article.

Didn't realise their fee was that high, having said that I'm not surprised saying as they're millionaires.

"We are firmly in Derek Acorah/Psychic Sally territory" totally agree with that comment too! Same type of people!

I did not realise it was on a second week. I just turned on 5-minutes ago to hear Nik say 'That's a 7-year-old girl talking, not an adult'. Does he blame all his patients for thinking like a child?

One thing with The Speakmans, whether you like them/their methods or not, they're not hiding out of the way. They are showing their work for 20 episodes on TV. If it doesn't work, if it's short-lived, if they are cruel, whacky or whatever else is leveled at them it will soon become evident. The way the Internet works it will soon be populated with negative reports and feedback. So far (and they've been around a while) it isn't.

I know nothing about how they work so I can't judge one way or t'other but just because it's not "mainstream therapy" doesn't mean I'd knock it just because. There's an awful lot of traditional therapy which is ineffective as well. As I say, it may transpire that negative feedback starts to appear and we can build a picture based on facts.

The way the Internet works it will soon be populated with negative reports and feedback. So far (and they've been around a while) it isn't.

If only that was so Caramoole. OCC is a prime example of trash TV that people will watch, even if it is not accurate or the truth.