Television Programme - Support or not?

When done correctly, TV programmes that feature stories about people with OCD can be informative and help raise awareness, regardless of the specific form of OCD that the participant may suffer from.

However, often when someone with contamination fears is featured, in my opinion rather unfairly to the individual, people online are critical that it does not feature their own form of OCD.

Because of this I want to ask our users if you believe the charity should or should not offer to support a production company making, what sounds like an interesting one-off programme for Channel 4's educational series.

The reason I ask is that the programme will feature a series of young people going about life with various mental health problems, and they wish to choose OCD to be one of those conditions. However, the production company told me they prefer to not include Pure O, because it is not easy to visualise on TV, they only want something like contamination or checking which is easier to visualise. Lazy television in some respects I guess by taking the easy option.

So, we have to decide if we offer to help the production company with research and recruitment to raise awareness about one aspect of OCD. Or do we choose not to support the production because of the fact they don't want to cover certain aspects of OCD?

Guest legend

personally I feel that if that's what they aim to do , then you go ahead with it, because any form of awareness is

great, and if there are the usual critics saying , why is it all contam. on tv then you can reiterate that's what the

company wanted to do.

Guest Gale1982

I rather suspect the real reason behind their wish to exclude Pure-o is because of its often violent and sexual themes.

I remember last year Channel 4 made a series called Bedlum, which featured a young chap who suffered with intrusive thoughts. They did a fantastic job of portraying the nature of his illness with subtle production techniques {Jimmy Savil radio news clips, for example}... So it is possible to visually portray this type of OCD.

Personally, I'd like to see more programs that at the very least try to represent pure-o along with other types. It can be a life-line to people who might otherwise have gone on living in secrecy and despair.

In short, if they cant be bothered to produce a well balanced and informative program in "the public interest", because it might be a bit difficult, then they shouldn't.

My ten cents,

x

I think we should support the programme.

The forum doesn't fail to support all types of OCD - and indeed I myself have been working very hard with the thoughts sufferers since i am one myself - and we have good awareness streams coming along on the various types of OCD with other media.

So maybe it would be an opportunity missed, and more of a regret later perhaps, if we don't take it.

I think any accurate coverage done well is worthwhile. Better that one aspect is cvered than none. It's not ideal that only some forms are covered - but even if it only helps one section of the community that is a start.

I would imagine a successful programme could be built on and developed.

Guest Sisyphus

I think it's a weird and unnecessary move to choose not to cover that aspect of OCD at all. I mean would it kill them to take 5 minutes to give a brief summary of what it is? Not to massage the egoes of viewers with Pure O mind, but to help people that have it identify what they've got earlier down the line. God knows I could've used that all those years ago. But no I thought OCD was Eugene Udall not stepping on the cracks.

That said, if they are adamant about not covering it at all, then obviously you'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face to turn your back on the show. As long as they're not going to make a pig's ear of it(e.g. Strictly Come OCD Get Me Out Of Here***), then you're kind of obliged to support them aren't you?

*** if per chance there are any television executives reading this, I'm open to offers on that show name

I personally wouldn't have anything to do with channel 4 after Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners.

I understand why many would feel that way, but you wouldn't want to discourage good awareness, even if it does happen to be on channel 4.

Edited by Purplepiper7

Thank you everyone for your feedback and support. I think we all have some concerns that they only want to focus on one aspect of OCD (visual compulsions), but if I am reading correctly the majority of you believe good awareness of any aspect of OCD is still worth pursuing? I do appreciate your feedback all, thank you.

Based on your responses I will promote the feature on a thread.

Channel 4 documentary looking for people aged 16-24 who are living with OCD
A London based TV production company are looking for young people to take part in a new observational documentary ‘Friendship and Mental Health’ (working title) for Channel 4’s Education Department. The documentary will follow a group of young people across the UK with different mental health conditions as they negotiate the typical challenges of life, friendship and relationships, while also managing their mental health condition. If you are interested in the possibility of taking part or would like to know more please contact our media liaison Lucy who will tell you a little more and arrange for you to chat to the production company should you wish to. lucy@ocduk.org or call her (Mon and Tue) on 07585 006331.

I was filmed a month or so ago by the production company making the programme for C4. The producer was lovely. They told me they wanted to include a segment on the lesser known types of OCD. I feel slightly mislead.

The charity have a very strict policy in place when approached by production companies, and that includes asking them the relevant questions to try and gauge and sense their intentions. Sadly this policy is undermined a little sometimes elsewhere, but all we can do is ensure that OCD-UK followers are supported and protected the best we can before we promote each media participation request.