Finding it hard in normal situations.

Guest Anonomous17645

Guest Anonomous17645

I did it really hard to sit with my family after having or whilst having an intrusive thought(s). Although they take my mind off it all, I just sit thinking 'how can I be normal/act normal after that?' And sometimes I feel like I'm there but I don't feel like I'm there if that makes sense.

Guest Sisyphus

Makes total sense. When that happens, everything changes instantaneously and dramatically for me. I just want to freeze time, shut everyone up, go somewhere private and deal with my stuff until it's all resolved, and then carry on where I left off. Trying to do both - i.e. act like nothing's wrong and carry on half-listening to and interacting with them, and half-dealing with my OCD stuff - is just about the worst feeling in the world - just about the worst aspect of this thing for me. If it goes badly and I have to keep going back to the start, well, I think I end up acting like a total jerk to be honest despite my attempts at subtefuge. And I get breathless and hyper-anxious.

Seems the answer for us is to try and get to a place where we're not responding to those things that way any more, and *hopefully* the frequency and severity of them drops off naturally after that.

I know exactly what you mean Anon, it is SO hard to just sit there with a smile on your face when all this rubbish is going on. It just feels wrong doesn't it!

But you have absolutely no reason not to smile and you have nothing to feel guilty about. You just had a thought out of your control, just try to let it pass and sit with your family for as long as you want, don't let OCD get in the way of small things that you enjoy!

Guest irretractable

I can totally relate! Sometimes when I'm meeting with people, I'll get the urge to stare at them in an inappropriate place. Then I'll be afraid that I actually did it and that they noticed. This whole thing makes it quite difficult to keep carrying on like nothing is wrong. It happens in work and social situations. I try to just say to myself "this is your OCD, move on, there's nothing you can do about it." Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't.

I can totally relate! Sometimes when I'm meeting with people, I'll get the urge to stare at them in an inappropriate place. Then I'll be afraid that I actually did it and that they noticed. This whole thing makes it quite difficult to keep carrying on like nothing is wrong. It happens in work and social situations. I try to just say to myself "this is your OCD, move on, there's nothing you can do about it." Sometimes that helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks dear...............Exactly same thing happens with me...In my case I stare at other's nose continuously until they realise that Iam staring at their nose...Then in this so-called professional world, they think that some nasal material is present in or out of their nose, and they try to clean it...or touch it....Then I think that because of me they have unnecessarrily touched or cleaned their nose....Because of doing this I regret a lot.....a lot really.....because I dont want other people to get hurt or do anything unnecessary because of me....that is my nature.........AND I ALWAYS FEAR THAT I MAY REPEAT THIS WITH OTHER PERSON ALSO.....AND THE PRESENT SITUATION IS I DO THIS WITH ALMOST EVERYONE IN MY FRIEND CIRCLE OR ANYONE FOR THAT CASE.....