Let's Try To Look For The Positives Today!

Guest Anonomous17645

I have just sat through a news report which I had the urge to change over, I didn't like the content, as it could have been a potential trigger, but I did some exposure and allowed myself to sit through the report. I feel great!

I don't know why, but everytime i see this post, I get the 'what have you done today to make you feel proud?' Song stuck in my head haha. x

It's a great song aononymous and I'm singing it in my head now.

And we should feel proud when, like you, we work a way around a trigger and stand up to it. In The Four Steps, Jeffrey Schwartz points out that it is all about finding a way of working around the "brainlock" that is sticking the needle in the groove of the record, and releasing thoughts so they can resolve.

I have potential problems with news stories, and I therefore as part of my therapy am required to read the newspapers regulalry, but not interract with any potential problem stories - I am to effectively "blank" them and turn the page, before OCD can try and kick in and fasten onto them; and that is quite a good exposure strategy.

Guest aleuk

Negative: My gran became seriously ill and had to end holiday very early for me, mum shouted at me and said I'm weird which I am and I feel very depressed.

Positive: you still care what your mum thinks, and by raising her voice and becoming unfocused ( evidenced by using a non-specific insult 'weird') she proves she cares for you,

I'm sure you can see she is only upset because she's concerned anyway that's straight forward,

but have you considered your likely depressed because you think you gave her the reason to be concerned,

and if your letting her see some of your worries, your letting your guard down, which in the instance of your mother is a good thing.

and proves your behaviour is changing which is what you want, right?

so I say well done, shouting solves some problems, silent acceptance does NOTHING.

Thanks

Negative: My gran became seriously ill and had to end holiday very early for me, mum shouted at me and said I'm weird which I am and I feel very depressed.

Your Mum would be in a concerned/distressed state because of your gran and therefore very likely to be easily upset sufficient to shout at you.

I think calling you weird probably also may simply be displaying the - quite common - lack of understanding/ lack of the desire to try and understand OCD.

If you are really weird because you have OCD then so are we all too by definition. But we are not, are we? We are just ordinary human beings from all different walks of life cultures and faiths, who just happen to have an illness called OCD.

Roy

Guest jayjay89

Hey Aleuk - Sorry to hear about your gran! However being weird is awesome.. adds a bit of mystery I think :) Who wants to spend time with normal people anyway? There is only so much time you can spend talking about the weather anyways

negative, got the next four days in a row off work and my flatmates have a 10 year old kid staying here... this wrecks havoc with my OCD, the kid moves stuff... and coughs.. and has snot everywhere .. AND talks to me. All the time. I like quiet time at home! And she drank my coke.

Positive - Looks like there will be lots of exposure in my life this week haha.

For every negative there is a positive jayjay, and unlikely though it seems the kid is it because, as you rightly point out, her presence in your flat means serious exposure.

So it's a challenge; let us know how you get on - especially with response prevention!!!

Guest aleuk

Hi,

Many thanks for this. :)

Positive: you still care what your mum thinks, and by raising her voice and becoming unfocused ( evidenced by using a non-specific insult 'weird') she proves she cares for you,

I'm sure you can see she is only upset because she's concerned anyway that's straight forward,

but have you considered your likely depressed because you think you gave her the reason to be concerned,

and if your letting her see some of your worries, your letting your guard down, which in the instance of your mother is a good thing.

and proves your behaviour is changing which is what you want, right?

so I say well done, shouting solves some problems, silent acceptance does NOTHING.

Thanks

Hi taurean,

Thank you for this. We didn't find out about my gran until after but thanks- I agree with you about the calling of weird.

Your Mum would be in a concerned/distressed state because of your gran and therefore very likely to be easily upset sufficient to shout at you.

I think calling you weird probably also may simply be displaying the - quite common - lack of understanding/ lack of the desire to try and understand OCD.

If you are really weird because you have OCD then so are we all too by definition. But we are not, are we? We are just ordinary human beings from all different walks of life cultures and faiths, who just happen to have an illness called OCD.

Roy

Hi JayJay,

Thank you for this- that is very true!

Keep up the great exposure work. :)

Hey Aleuk - Sorry to hear about your gran! However being weird is awesome.. adds a bit of mystery I think :) Who wants to spend time with normal people anyway? There is only so much time you can spend talking about the weather anyways

negative, got the next four days in a row off work and my flatmates have a 10 year old kid staying here... this wrecks havoc with my OCD, the kid moves stuff... and coughs.. and has snot everywhere .. AND talks to me. All the time. I like quiet time at home! And she drank my coke.

Positive - Looks like there will be lots of exposure in my life this week haha.

Negatives

Had to go for a CT scan at the hospital; they needed to inject dye into my bloodstream (they are checking to see if I have any more kidney stones).

Quite a complex and lengthy procedure which has left me with a bruised arm for my troubles.

Positive

The tree surgeons arrived, and despite rain showers tbey managed to take down and remove my now defunct Willow tree.

Negative... my partner is super stressed with work and exams.

Positive... CBT is going very well, starting to feel much better, been getting back into Buddhism (a sort-of interest of mine), joined a walking club and a squash club (not actually been yet so might chicken out yet...). Starting to feel more on top of life.

Negative - My period is due so the thoughts are worse than usual.

Positive - I got some new Converse in the sale for just £20! I love Converse I have 5 pairs! :-)

I presume Converse are shoes?

Negative

Had a tough time h!elping my co-presenter today prepare for his course.

Some of the youngsters I was training today, and I , are sad that we won't be working together shortly.

Positive

The training sessions went really well and the youngsters really absorbed what I have passed on to them!

Edited by taurean
Guest Anonomous17645

Negative- I found something in a bag which I shouldn't have (if it's what I think it is- not going into detail) and panicked about whether I should tell. But then the bag was taken upstairs, so there was no way I could have mentioned it. I keep thinking about it but I'm just going to let it lie and forget about it. I don't know whether that is a negative or a positive aha.

Positive- I had a really good night out with a friend, and made up with some old ones as well!

Guest jayjay89

Negative, I am really struggling with stress about starting my new role on Monday, my OCD is having a field day (and this 10 year old kid is driving me bonkers, It keeps eating my food!)

Positive, I have been doing well at resisting compulsions and I have not been reacting to a couple of awful thoughts I was having yesterday and even though they are still there, they are definitely less potent today. Snow boarding got put off again today (fricking weather) so my mates and I took our boards down to the steepest street and did some freeboarding... We did eventually get moved on by the coppers, but had a good few hours :D

Guest aleuk

Negative: Every little thing is nibbling away at my OCD.

Positive: It's a sunny day and I'm not at work so I'm relaxing and enjoying the day off, without, hopefully, any OCD compulsions to do.

Negative

Nothing!

Positive

I am resting in our lovely garden, about to make a pot of tea, mow the lawns then collapse in a lounger.

Utopian existence - today I would say so!

Negative - I have developed iron deficient anemia and have been prescribed tablets. Incidentally, I read on the nhs website that a symptom or an effect of this is ocd type behaviour-wonder if thats why ive felt worse during the back end of pregnancy! ?

Positive-weather's been glorious, I've finished for maternity leave, spent lots of quality time with themmunchkins and tomorrow I have a baby shower being thrown for me (although didn't want one lol but should be lovely). X

Guest paramoregirl

Nooo - I love vans, I cant wear converse they hurt my feet.

Saz - that's great about the baby shower, I hope you have a lovely time :sorcerer:

negative - I started my period, my checking has not been very good today,

positive - dealing with my contamination ocd around my period is getting ALOT better, signed up for healthy graze boxes and ditched the takeaway this evening for a yummy thai green curry.

Negative

I've got to go to work tomorrow - would have wanted this lovely weekend to continue.

Positive

In three weeks time I won't have to go to work again, I'm retiring!

Had a nice time this afternoon - we've been to our Nuffield Health leisure centre, just to laze in the spa pool and steam room.

As it was the afternoon, kids are allowed in with their families (12 till 4) and we enjoyed watching the antics of the kids with their parents in the Pool. Makes you feel good inside to see happy families!

Ooooo I've never tried Vans Paramoregirl might have to give them a go :-).

Negatives - My period is due and the OCD is bothering me a bit today.

Positives - I don't work Mondays so I still have tomorrow off to look forward to! :-)

xx

Negative : A little Out of focus today, I'm more interested in researching hobbies, than cleaning up right now!

Positive : bought a girl a VK BLUE last night, didn't ask her name or phone number, I don't think I'll see her again, and I am genuinely not that bothered by it.

Thanks