Let's Try To Look For The Positives Today!

Negative

Last several days have been recovery days after I had an anxiety issue.

Positive

Been waiting for a combination of weather and feeling good, to drive out for a spot of fishing.

Really enjoyed it and also lots of mindfulness. As usual in early spring the fish don't greatly feed so I was kept wonderfully busy changing baits rods rigs and tactics.

I came home exhausted which disappointed my wife, who was looking forward to chat.

But hey-ho she enjoyed having the place to herself while I was out (she is a real home bird).

Edited by taurean

Negative: Did something stupid at work today and the manager had to take me into the office for a dressing-down. Feel embarrassed and stupid; love my job but now feeling like all I do is make everybody cross and I'm stupid and immature and they'd be better off without me. Feel like a silly nervous wreck who's too loud and big and stupid.

Positive: I was treated fairly and the manager accepted my apology. It isn't going to linger, although I do have to be careful. My job remains; I haven't lost it and I just need to act a little less idiotic.

Go with the positive and ignore that negative, which is - pure and simply - the cognitive distortion of Overgeneralising - we make one mistake,we are useless, hopeless at our job.... we catastrophise.....

What do we do when we make mistakes? We learn from them, correct any procedural faults, then forget them - and leave that Overgeneralising and awfulising alone :original:

Watch out for those cognitive thinking distortions cub - they have to be challenged with a rational response - like I just gave you.

Edited by taurean

The final year of uni feels like being trapped on an emotional and physical rollercoaster.

I am tired and happy it's Friday tomorrow.

Today one of my tutors asked me a question and then asked to have a meeting with me about my work. Another tutor got in there first so i was excused from a right telling off i imagine.

Was fine. Then wanted to cry. Then was happy again. It's a big mix of being exciting and fast paced and stressful and overwhelming. But I will get there.

Really cracked down on work this week and looking forward to really pulling everything together over the next few weeks.

I've started to apply for jobs hoping they will hold out till I've finished uni!!!

Eeeeek!!! Remaining positive!

The final year of uni feels like being trapped on an emotional and physical rollercoaster.

I am tired and happy it's Friday tomorrow.

Today one of my tutors asked me a question and then asked to have a meeting with me about my work. Another tutor got in there first so i was excused from a right telling off i imagine.

Was fine. Then wanted to cry. Then was happy again. It's a big mix of being exciting and fast paced and stressful and overwhelming. But I will get there.

Really cracked down on work this week and looking forward to really pulling everything together over the next few weeks.

I've started to apply for jobs hoping they will hold out till I've finished uni!!!

Eeeeek!!! Remaining positive!

You are doing well, seem to have some better prioritising going, which is fine!

Been a good day and we ignored a thunderstorm - we just didn't focus on it!

I am enjoying a good book on how to get mindful whilst "on the go", and had an enjoyable evening watching 3 TV sports channels, delivering pro cycling, Borussia Dortmund v Liverpool football, and Masters golf, and I am now relaxing to smooth classics on Classic fm while my wife dozes.

Thanks roy-

What's that book on how to keep mindful on the go? Sounds like the sort of book I would find useful.

Working hard in the week I making me appreciate the lie in I want at the weekend. Although I will still need to do work on my days off.

Been a bit anxious again today, and my wife somewhat emotionally exhausted, as it's been a hairy week on the family front.

So we have each followed the activities known to be calming to ourselves. She doing some washing - she has lovely appliances to help her with that, and time to relax between activities.

She is the home bird, I love to be out and about.

So I have been to my friend Mike's fishing tackle shop to replenish my supply of bait and to have a chat about all things fishing.

Brilliant

Guest JustKeepWalking

Negatives-

Waking up feeling anxious again.

Ruminating about the latest obsession.

Getting frustrated by today's routine.

Positives-

It's Friday! Which means good TV!!!

Went on a 16 mile walk and felt amazing afterwards.

negatives:

Just had a thought which created some intense anxiety. But left it and the anxiety eased immediately.

Realised I am currently very anxious-

The kittens are in the garden on their own as we now have a catflap, as I am home from uni I let them outside (on my boyfriends mums orders)

I let them out when it was just me at home, and started to wonder what would happen if they went out the front when it was just me at home. I would be to blame etc.

They have been out for over an hour and I have popped out into the garden several times to see if I can see them, i can't.

This isn't unusual they often wander to next doors garden, or the one after that. I am so nervous, I have drunk about five cups of tea and just keep wandering out there.

I can't seem to shake the anxiety and sadness from my cat being killed two years ago.

Positives:

Doing Uni work, and trying to get on with work whilst they are outside.

Got a couple of things in charity shops which is nice.

Got a few more episodes of Fargo to watch.

Negatives: OCD is making me feel a bit trapped - it's making me look back on thoughts I've had in the past and making me unclear just what I can and can't do and I'm not sure what works for me and what doesn't. It makes me feel a bit stuck and holds me back writing-wise. I don't want to be selfish, but I do want to live and to write a good story; I'm just stuck in a loop and keep going around and around. I phoned my dad in tears yesterday as have been given three days off work and have been feeling isolated and trapped and alone with my thoughts.

Positive: I saw Rick Astley in concert last night! :clapping: What a wonderful night; it was truly magical. I went alone, but there were some really nice people both sides of me so I didn't feel lonely and I got up and danced to many of his songs. I love his music and have always wanted to see him live. It really dragged me out of my doldrums and made me remember that this life is for living. It was a bit like being a child again, when I used to go to the theatre and anything felt possible. What a feeling. I'm also pretty sure that Rick Astley winked at me at one point. <3 I recommend his song: 'Keep Singing.' It's a reminder we all need, to keep going.

C x

Negative: It's my lady time and am feeling kind of grumpy and irritable, as well as depressed. Feeling so many negative emotions that simply will not go away and I wish I didn't feel like this, because I feel so dreadful for feeling them. i feel there's a 'gap' in me and it wants to be full of bad things.

Positive: I've brought a couple of cheerful books - Alexander McCall Smith and PG Wodehouse as they always make me feel better and I got through the day in one piece. I also had fish and chips with tea and I find that mushy peas are a much more pleasant condiment than gravy. :p

My manager is also being civil to me, following his need to rebuke me last week over a moment of stupidity; I was afraid that he was still cross, but we've left it behind us, I think. I still feel stupid, but what's done is done and a lesson is learnt; at least I can practice what I've been taught and I did try and put it into practice today.

I'm also trying to focus on the positive parts of other people's lives, even if mine isn't in a brilliant place right now, is all. I'm trying to just remember others rather than simply think of myself, as I can get very selfish and self-obsessed without meaning to. but to focus and engage with others good news feels nice.

I've cut out the obsessive praying a fair bit. I'm still asking the God I believe in for help and assistance but it feels genuine and I feel like I'm praying a lot less. I found Aileen's advice of coming back to something was a massive help; I don't have to make any big decisions on the spot and it helps cease the ruminating. Yay.

C x

• 5 months later...

Negative: had a run of bad luck and irritations for 4 days which I allowed to get to me. :taz: Another incident yesterday morning felt like the final straw. I blew it all out of proportion and decided I didn't much care if I lived or died. (Melodramatic or what?) :lol:

Positive: I called quits on the day and went to bed early. Spent a little time before I slept applying what I learned in CBT regarding my thinking distortions and got everything back in perspective. Went to sleep no longer upset, just in neutral. :sleeping: Woke up at 6am this morning and did some PEG (positive emotion generation). By getting up time I was raring to go and bounced happily through my morning routines singing to myself like normal, as if the last 5 days never happened. :kicking:

Who says therapy doesn't work? :) 

Guest alex-online
1 hour ago, snowbear said:

Negative: had a run of bad luck and irritations for 4 days which I allowed to get to me. :taz: Another incident yesterday morning felt like the final straw. I blew it all out of proportion and decided I didn't much care if I lived or died. (Melodramatic or what?) :lol:

Positive: I called quits on the day and went to bed early. Spent a little time before I slept applying what I learned in CBT regarding my thinking distortions and got everything back in perspective. Went to sleep no longer upset, just in neutral. :sleeping: Woke up at 6am this morning and did some PEG (positive emotion generation). By getting up time I was raring to go and bounced happily through my morning routines singing to myself like normal, as if the last 5 days never happened. :kicking:

Who says therapy doesn't work? :) 

Poor you, sorry to hear about the irritations. Woah no that's not melodramatic, that's how I feel at the moment. I must be melodramatic. Hope you're ok. Well done you. I need to take a leaf out of your book!! X

3 hours ago, alex-online said:

Poor you, sorry to hear about the irritations. Woah no that's not melodramatic, that's how I feel at the moment. I must be melodramatic. Hope you're ok. Well done you. I need to take a leaf out of your book!! X

Well it's a good example of taking an overview of ourselves, and dealing with things in a calmer way along therapeutic lines.

In the red corner - angry snowbear :boxing:

In the - late arrival - blue corner calm snowbear :boat:

Who then works her therapy and gets on her surfboard to glide over the troubles :surfing:

Result - a happy snowbear :serenade: enjoying a little frivolity and serenading. :fool:

3 minutes ago, taurean said:

Well it's a good example of taking an overview of ourselves, and dealing with things in a calmer way along therapeutic lines.

In the red corner - angry snowbear :boxing:

In the - late arrival - blue corner calm snowbear :boat:

Who then works her therapy and gets on her surfboard to glide over the troubles :surfing:

Result - a happy snowbear :serenade: enjoying a little frivolity and serenading. :fool:

Love your use of emoticons, Roy! :clapping::thumbup:

• 2 years later...

Also resurrecting this! 

I'll go:

- the sun is shining (sort of)

- it's Saturday and no work for two days 

- I'm about to have a lovely big cup of coffee 

Let's look for the little good things - I really believe they're always there even in the darkest times. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Today I was/am struggling. You know how it goes, you cant ever just involve yourself a little bit. So true, isn't it? 

The irritation about some things blown up to anxiety yesterday evening/this lorning when I read about a pedophile doctor who have worked in the country. My mind said I had been involved and now my mind demand me to get a hold on my journals.

So I went out and will try my best to keep my head above the anxietysea.

How do we tell other people with OCD that feelings are not the problem? How do one do that when you yourself have this strange splitted wiev on things (at least when it comes to your own obsessions). This condition we all have really is ourselves battling ourselves.

Have a nice day everyone. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Positive, learning about positive psychology. 
'Positive psychology' is the branch of psychology that uses the scientific & medical understanding and effective intervention to aid in the achievement of a satisfactory life, rather than treating mental illness. The focus of positive psychology is on personal growth rather than on pathology, as is common among other frameworks within the field of psychology. Positive Psychology is the scientific study of the strengths that enable individuals and communities to thrive. The field is founded on the belief that people want to lead meaningful and fulfilling lives, to cultivate what is best within themselves, and to enhance their experiences of love, work, and play. Positive psychology focuses on the positive events and influences in life, including Positive experiences (like happiness, joy, inspiration, and love) Positive states and traits (like gratitude, resilience, and compassion). Since its inception, positive psychology has spurred research in a variety of areas, such as happiness, optimism, self-esteem, well-being, motivation, flow, strengths and virtues, hope, resilience, mindfulness, and positive thinking. The Three Pillars: Positive Psychology has three central concerns: positive experiences, positive individual traits, and positive institutions. Understanding positive emotions entails the study of contentment with the past, happiness in the present, and hope for the future.

OCD is one of a number of thinking disorders with negative bias to our thoughts and outlook. 

No surprise therefore that those of us stuck in the depths of OCD will likely be experiencing secondary, rather than primary, depression. 

Looking to swing the negative bias towards the positive is mostly a working CBT matter, challenging, re-framing seeing perceived negatives in a different light. 

Team CBT up with learning positive thinking is a good combination, a symbiotic approach to change. 

I find a solid structure behind the week helps. I can build in rest and recuperation, quality me time as well as quality time with my wife and friends, ensuring enjoyment to balance sufferance. 

This positive approach works for me. 

Here is a little valuable re-framing exercise. 

Review what to you was a difficult day, and see if you can break down the elements of it and rework them to more positive interpretations. 

This is a great technique to learn, and can produce amazing results. 

Here is a taster of how such negative issues can produce positive results. 

Years ago my wife and I took the overnight sleeper train to Fort William, the little town on Loch Linnie, at the foot of Ben Nevis, that is the gateway to the Scottish Highlands. 

It rained all the journey up, rained the next day, and only several days of our Highlands holiday stayed dry. 

But on that first day we made straight for the outdoor clothing shop and kitted ourselves out with lightweight breathable waterproof jackets and trousers. 

Result. In no way did the adverse weather during the holiday spoil our trip. With that special clothing on we were out and about with impunity then - and ever since. 

The original suits of clothes have been changed several times over the years. But they fold down into small packs and are easily carried in bag or shoulder bag in case of need. 

Edited by taurean