Why does no one on here ever talk about thoughts from real things theyve seen?, why is it always made up stuff?

Guest Stu.

I personally don't take much notice of stuff my mind makes up, its the real stuff that causes the anxiety!, surely im not alone here?

Guest DOA623

The stuff my mind makes up is real to me though. I know it's not but my OCD doesn't and my OCD always wins the fight. But can you give examples of the "real stuff" you see?

~Liz

Guest DOA623

Oh I understand. That kind of stuff causes me anxiety too. In homeroom we were talking about starting a fundraiser and we wanted to pick a charity. One of the websites was one of those domestic abuse charities and it had pictures of children who were beaten and bloody (nothing too graphic). One time at an assembly one of the counselors showed us that famous picture of the two year old dying girl in Africa and she told us that the guy just walked away from her while she was dying. It brought me to tears and made me just so... I can't even describe it. It was a combination of sad, mad, anxious, and disgusted and I just couldn't even do it.

Guest jayjay89

I get images stuck in my brain, that people without OCD seem to be able to see and then move past, where as I am stuck with the image burnt into my brain.

I get images stuck in my brain, that people without OCD seem to be able to see and then move past, where as I am stuck with the image burnt into my brain.

snap jayjay!, exactly the same, and those thoughts and images torment me everyday!, its more than someone can stand!

Guest jayjay89

Stu - I hear ya. It's awful, I can remember a picture I saw when I was 5, I still think about it. Now I really have to avoid looking at horrible pictures, I don't watch the news anymore for this reason.

I don't know if its ocd or not, I am no expert, but I would hazard a guess that the obsession is to continue to revisit the image over and over in my mind - especially for me because my thoughts aren't really words, they are usually pictures and the compulsion is what I do to get my mind off the image, like cleaning.

I challenge whether this is OCD or not. Take animal cruelty pictures. The trigger is obvious but what's the obsession, the compulsions?

the obsession is that im constantly getting these thoughts and images over and over everyday, its been going on for a long long time, I do mental compulsions.

Stu - I hear ya. It's awful, I can remember a picture I saw when I was 5, I still think about it. Now I really have to avoid looking at horrible pictures, I don't watch the news anymore for this reason.

I don't know if its ocd or not, I am no expert, but I would hazard a guess that the obsession is to continue to revisit the image over and over in my mind - especially for me because my thoughts aren't really words, they are usually pictures and the compulsion is what I do to get my mind off the image, like cleaning.

we are very alike jayjay, people don't understand why im getting so upset about this stuff, ive had to come off facebook because people just constantly post horrible stuff on there, I cant take anymore of it, I also have to be careful what I watch on tv, I have to avoid animal rescue tv shows etc.

Guest jayjay89

It's a pain in the *** because I often just feel like I am retraumatising myself with the image over and over and wish I could stop it.. I will get over one image and then some idiot will email me something horrible at work and then there is a new one floating around behind my eyeballs. Yeah I have to avoid all the same things as you

It's a pain in the *** because I often just feel like I am retraumatising myself with the image over and over and wish I could stop it.. I will get over one image and then some idiot will email me something horrible at work and then there is a new one floating around behind my eyeballs. Yeah I have to avoid all the same things as you

people are just so insensitive and so stupid to keep posting this stuff!, what do they think their trying to achieve?, all their doing is causing misery and suffering!, I feel for you, I know what its like, I just cant ever forget anything, I get constantly reminded by my horrible brain, and yes I get retraumatised too, its horrible :(