Positive affirmations for OCD

I'm doing an activity where I set little reminders on my phone throughout the day to pop up and gjve me positive affirmations to help remind me I'm a strong person and it's all just OCD

Some I have come up with that are classics I always see are:

" A thought is just a thought"

" Just because you think or feel it doesn't make it true"

"I have a neurobiological biochemical imbalance in my brain." (Taken from BrainLock the book)

" I have made it this far, I can make it further."

And stuff like that to give me random bursts of inspiration and strength throughout the day. Does anyone else have any little positive affirmations they tell themselves to help when they are feeling overwhelmed with OCD? I'm thinking of comprising a list.

Guest OCDChineseFighter

So nice to see people fighting this way! Thinking positively is very cool!

Love is one of best things in our life and is extremely powerful! so this one is from little Bo: ' Fight OCD, WITH LOVE!'

Keep up the good work!

Bo

Hi Nicolette

Great idea - I'll add some into the OCD help notes in this smartphone.

When you have your list why not e-mail it OCD-UK - they might wish to share it more widely than a forum post ,in the ongoing desire to help others?

Thanks for all the good feedback everyone. the positive affirmations are especially helpful today since I broke off a complicated mental compulsion I was having to perform every morning since April and things felt a bit "funny" today as I started the day off w/o it. I guess that's just the anxiety of not doing it making me feel a bit off, but I will get over it.

I will maybe follow the advice of Taurean and compose an official list to send to OCD UK as it is helpful to have positive affirmations handy when relabeling OCD thoughts as just OCD thoughts which I think is part of the Four Steps mentioned in Brain Lock, also the positivity helps to keep people going when OCD is getting nasty.

"How could you make something NOT THERE, by thinking about it more?"

I like that one cause it's like "Maybe if I think about it enough I'll get my mind to stop thinking about it." hmm...

Guest jayjay89

I am not what I eat, I am not what I think! (Coz if I was what I eat, I would have turned into a loaf of bread years ago)

I am awesome - ocd tries to bring me down to mediocrity, but it won't succeed.

I am what I am and what I am is awesome.

:)

"There is no such thing as holding off, only holding on."

"Rinse and repeat ignor-ance until the old isn't there, and there is no awareness that it is not there."

"OCD is giving you this illusion that is self fulfilling, the more you look for it, the more you see it."

"You can't check your way out of an OCD 'problem' cause your mind is what is creating the problem is in the first place."

"To be on the lookout for triggers in order to avoid them is illogical. Look and you'll find them."

"You can't forget about it if you keep trying to figure it out, cause that requires remembering it!"

"Keep fighting the fight - if we do that, we can win the battle"

"Mankind has inner strengths to face problems and overcome them - so seek out, then connect with, your own inner strength"

Edited by taurean
Guest jayjay89

Something taken from AA - "The universe never gives you more adversity than you can face"

AA say god, but you can substitute in your higher power :)

Guest legend

you can go around fear or over it , you have to go through it ....

Have to be careful though guys to not keep using the things , otherwise can fall into a compulsion

good point,

I use this type of thing in my phone just to refer to if I need to remind myself of a doctrine to use.

Like the headings pf each of the four steps are in there!

Edited by taurean

hi legend,

We are all different, some of us need a reminder to set us back on the right goal.

lat time I needed that reminder from my phone was about 3 months ago, so not a compulsion, just a gentle nudge back on track!

Just dreamed up another affirmation, on heartplace's thread. How about this one:

"Progress has to often come in small bites, but add them all together and they make a mouthful".

I agree with Legend, they *can* become compulsions but pretty much anything can become a compulsion when applied to OCD and used the wrong way.

I've used lots of affirmations this week because I've needed them since I've stopped most of my mental compulsions so having these little helpful reminders pop up really helps keep my goals strong. When I've gotten used to not doing mental compulsions though I'll remove the reminders from my phone ofc :)