OCD-UK - Shot glass challenge - Merged Thread

Well said Adam, I think some of these ideas have been sort of "written off" because they exclude our contamination OCD sufferers anyway, but naturally we want to find something that appeals to everyone. "Egging" and "flourbombing" are classic pranks anyway, I think it would very quickly turn into people doing them for the sake of it and not donating or raising awareness, which we don't want.

FoosBoo88 x

*cough* :innocent: it is "everyone fears something, support OCD Uk" *hitches up skirt and runs for the hills"

:lol:

Well...tough! I did me best :p

Careful I don't have you write the damn thing out.. by hand :p

FoosBoo88 x

Well...tough! I did me best :p

Careful I don't have you write the damn thing out.. by hand :p

FoosBoo88 x

LOL, I can't write by hand it starts my OCD off XD

But you should change it, it isn't right...Muwahahahahahahahahah, I'm so eviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil :diablo:

Don't actually change it again though, I'm only joking XD

Not sure whether I believe you, Phili :p

And no, I wasn't going to, I must get something done with my day!

Just had the most diabolical phonecall ever. I rang up Bristol City Council to report a necessary repair to my front door (lock seizing up on the outside). They won't authorise it until my husband rings up and gives his name and date of birth to prove he lives here due to 'data protection'. Whaaat?! :ohmy:

Jus'..like...fix me door, alright? Stop with the silly new laws..door..mend it :rolleyes:

FoosBoo88 x

Edited by FoosBoo88

Following on from Legend's post, I've just put this on my Facebook:

Here's a question for you all, since the ice bucket challenge, how many of you have a better understanding of Motor Neurone Disease/ Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis? What could of been done to improve awareness of these conditions? OCD-UK are planning to set a challenge for OCD awareness week (5-11 October). We need to know how best to raise awareness of our chronic disorder as well as raise money for the charity. There is a lot of stigma about what OCD is, we want to make people aware of what OCD is, and what it is not. OCD is a crippling anxiety disorder, not a personality trait. Compulsions are like taking a painkiller for a toothache, not a personal preference. 1 in 50 people have OCD, that means at least 3 of my friends on Facebook are suffering in silence with the disorder. We need the media stigma to stop. We need to know how we can make that happen. I'm on board with this challenge, I'm calling upon my friends to tell me what you think would work.

Thankyou!! Your input will be very helpful, peeps!

The more people we can reach and the more brainstorming we can get, the better!

FoosBoo88 x

...A mask...wont masks take time or money and effort, a lot of people wont be bothered, you need something simple that people can do in a few seconds and that EVERYONE can do...sorry for not agreeing.

If OCD UK does anything like this then it needs to be, relevant, dignified and accessible to everyone and easy, people are lazy a lot wont do it if it takes a lot of effort.

Sorry I have been away for a couple of days so playing catch up on the threads. I would agree with Phili to be honest, it needs to be simple and quick (plus fun). It also must have a specific relative connection to OCD so there is the opportunity to hold a conversation about OCD for those who want to understand the challenge of the participant.

I still love Caramoole's "leap of faith" idea...I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie..so I'd be so game for that, but I can see that going bad with some people, and fast. Not the sort of association we want!

FoosBoo88 x

I still love Caramoole's "leap of faith" idea...I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie..so I'd be so game for that, but I can see that going bad with some people, and fast. Not the sort of association we want!

FoosBoo88 x

Yes, unfortunately that idea would lead to tombstoning and fast and tombstoning leads to death.

Yes, unfortunately that idea would lead to tombstoning and fast and tombstoning leads to death.

See....I would visit the local pool and bat my eyelashes at the lifeguards (it's not like I didn't do it before I met hubby ;)) but we're both on the same wavelength. Someone only has to not pass on the bit about no tombstoning and the problem begins.

FoosBoo88 x

Edited by FoosBoo88

See....I would visit the local pool and bat my eyelashes at the lifeguards (it's not like I didn't do it before I met hubby ;)) but we're both on the same wavelength. Someone only has to not pass on the bit about no tombstoning and the problem begins.

FoosBoo88 x

Even if we say no tombstoning, it will lead to it, in fact, likely even faster :sweatdrop:

I also cannot support the one with the eggs. As a tremendous lover of eggs, I would consider it blasphemy for the egg to go anywhere but in the mouth.

Maybe we should have *drink a raw egg challenge* you know we have to do uncomfortable and hard things to overcome out compulsions, it could be like facing drinking that egg. I once saw Gackt drink about five mixed up in a glass.

Edited by Phili

Maybe we should have *drink a raw egg challenge* you know we have to do uncomfortable and hard things to overcome out compulsions, it could be like facing drinking that egg. I once saw Gackt drink about five mixed up in a glass.

You're just trying to make me write the list again, aren't you? :p

Problem with raw eggs, someone only has to do it with an egg from a farm that doesn't vaccinate against Samonella and you've got that one to contend with. I used to keep chickens (long story!) so I know these things ;)

FoosBoo88 x

You're just trying to make me write the list again, aren't you? :p

Problem with raw eggs, someone only has to do it with an egg from a farm that doesn't vaccinate against Samonella and you've got that one to contend with. I used to keep chickens (long story!) so I know these things ;)

FoosBoo88 x

Yea but that is a pretty obscure risk isn't it, we can't guard against everything.

I like my idea, copy and paste the list and add it to the end *goes gets whip* :2guns:

Or I could do it, I think it is at least worth adding as an Idea.

The absolute, final, final version. We need to start narrowing it down, peeps!

The "shelfie" challenge - can we make it work, after all?

Masks - because we all feel like we're wearing one.

10 second orange juice challenge - pick a glass, any size, fill it, down it! You've only got 10 seconds!

Shot challenge - fill a shot glass with anything consumable, put your hands behind your back and take the shot!

The 'Circle of OCD' selfie - A take on the Altzheimer's selfies, touch your fingers to your thumb for a photo, this representing the ongoing circle of OCD.

Challenging OCD- photos of us doing exposures which we can share and raise awareness of our treatment.

The 'OCD Awareness' Ribbon - painting the OCD Awareness ribbon on your cheek, take a selfie and wear it for the day.

Superheroes - Dress up as your favourite superhero and take on a personal challenge!

Bad dancing - who can dance the worst?

The 'Leap of Faith'/ 'Taking the Plunge' - Jumping into a (preferably safe) volume of water

"Everybody has fears" - Hold up a sign that read "Everybody has fears, support OCD-UK" and take a selfie.

'Scrambled Thoughts' challenge - Crack an egg on your friend's head, scrambled egg, scrambled thoughts!

Face your fears - More generic than challenging OCD, people face their fears - even non-sufferers can join in! Will it be clowns? Spiders?

Hosepipe Challenge - a play on the ice bucket challenge - a blast in the face from a hosepipe!

Walk the plank - Inspired by the OCD-UK' Pure O article - balance a plank and walk across it! Plhe ease think of your safety too!

Website banner - An agreed banner designed for OCD-UK to share on your website.

Crazy hairstyles - get creative!

The Flourbomb - dump flour over your head, "self-raising awareness!"

Mirror selfies - for self awareness!

A photo competition - further details will need to be decided!

Glamping - Escape away for a luxury camp and share with others how simple break can be ruined by OCD!

Dares - Simple, easy dares. Don't go too overboard with it!

Hula hoop- Resembling being stuck in the circle of rumination, who can hula?

The climb - Beating OCD is like climbing a mountain, take a personal climbing challenge and take a selfie at the top!

A balancing act - Pair up, one of you balances, the other gets to throw wet sponges!

A talent show - What's yours?

The straight line challenge - can you balance a book on your head and walk in a straight line? No hands!

MakeUpSelfie - Contrary to the popular NoMakeUpSelfie, people with OCD feel like they have to hide - so cover up with cosmetics!

Camouflage selfie - Like above, but bring on the war paint!

Demons - We all have one. Go mad with the FX make-up and turn yourself into a demon for a photo.

The half-half selfie - Like above, OCD sufferers hide their demons so people only see the face. Paint only half of your face as a demon, leave the other half to be you!

Mindfulness Challenge - Experience therapy - be mindful for a minute

The 'Pink Elephant' challenge - Don't think of a pink elephant! No, really! Don't!

Wristband selfies - Wear your OCD-UK wristband with pride! Pose and share a selfie!

'Just a thought?' selfie - Hold up a board with OCD-UK's slogan - Just a thought?

The teardrop selfie - Draw a few tears on your face for a selfie to represent the pain of OCD

The spin challenge - spin around and around for 20 seconds, representing the ongoing loop of OCD. The nausea is like that of anxiety!

Mud-dipping challenge - dip your hands in mud

Origami hearts - Fold up an origami heart and decorate it to suit your personality without OCD or write an inspirational quote. Each heart is worth a donation.

Origami stars - Similar to the origami hearts, but write a wish to be OCD-free or an inspirational quote.

Heart map - Draw a heart to represent who you are or what you really love away from OCD. If you prefer, you can just write 'I support OCD-UK'.

Thread of words - You know the game, each person says one word to contribute to sentence. No swearing please!

Egg-drinking challenge - Drink a raw egg. Not many can manage it, can you?

No more!! Please! :D

FoosBoo88 x

Guest nicolam381318

I've just been nominated for the dreaded ice bucket. I will be donating to OCDUK instead. One thing we need to be sure about is that it will definitely raise awareness. Before I accepted my nomination, I asked the person who nominated me to give me three facts about ALS. I can honestly say I know no more about ALS now than I did before people starting throwing ice water over their heads. Great for fund raising but absolutely useless for raising awareness! I haven't even been told to which charity I am supposed to be donating - no information whatsoever. It makes me ever so slightly angry, not totally sure why.

Edited by nicolam381318

I made that point to my Dad earlier as I found out last night my second cousin died from MND which was triggered by a car accident. Long story short, turns out I am the second cousin of Judith Durham's (from The Seekers) husband. He had MND.

People do these things for the dare devil factor. We don't want that unless it'll raise awareness too.

FoosBoo88 x

I said no more ideas...that'll be the fourth time now..

OK..OK...I'm going! :p

Foosboo88 x

LOL I never actually read you saying that....*hides under a blanket* *Go away I'm hiding!* :lol:

I may get in trouble for sharing a link but this is a really powerful Robbin Williams tribute that kinda also represents the struggle of OCD sufferers. Maybe it will inspire some more ideas on awareness, it's really poweful.

http://berlinerstrasse.tumblr.com/image/95186832243

You are right it is very powerful and how true for so many people.