OCD-UK - Shot glass challenge - Merged Thread

Guest legend

I think it's worth really taking the time to come up with an original idea for something rather than doing a very slight variation on someone else's theme

you are making me use that brain of mine now ;)

you are making me use that brain of mine now ;)

Amen to that!

Legend, runnng on your idea, what about silly mirror selfies? "Self awareness"

I think our brains are running away with us...yet again!

FoosBoo88 x

Just seen on for kidney disease..tomato sauce to the face, the sauce representing blood as kidney disease patients require regular dialysis.

I will keep thinking! I'm in better spirits now I've finally perfected my rum & raisin fudge!

FoosBoo88 x

While raising awareness of OCD and raising funds for ocd-UK would be amazing, doing challenges on the internet could do more damage to the cause if the internet was suddenly flooded with attention-seeking people talking about how they "are so ocd because I just need to have something from Starbucks everyday or I just don't feel right."

You know?

Edited by OCDCanuck

That's nothing new though, OCDCanuck. We need to raise money for and awareness of what OCD is, not what it isn't. I think most people know what OCD is, sadly, it's just thrown around socially now. In the same way people joke about dementia if they get forgetful or people say "crikey, you nearly gave me a heart attack" which someone with cardiovascular disease would probably find quite upsetting, too. I think we need to push past that and make our voices heard. If we don't, we'll only blend into the crowd and our condition will be seen as nothing more than an awkward character trait.

FoosBoo88 x

I like Phili's idea, but perhaps the best and easiest idea is a photographic competition - each entry paying an entry fee.

Best photo/s could be featured in "compulsive reading" and we could have a few categories - so people who just like taking pictures,like me, could jump on board, and people who want to be seen specifically raising awareness taking part in a (non-hazardous or risky) fundraising activity could submit a photo doing that.

Best of all worlds then.

Roy

What....no shorts?? :eek:

And that's me gone off of the idea of cooking tonight!

I think we need to involve something that represents fear, adrenaline, panic...that's kind of OCD. We need to break away from the "flavours" of OCD.

I did think about taping ourselves to something, representing being "stuck" with OCD...not sure.

FoosBoo88 x

Interesting idea Roy, but I think we need to focus it on a broader spectrum to raise awareness of OCD and not discriminate against the general public so it's an awareness challenge rather than a competition (especially as your publicity piggies will and do go overboard to win competitions). Maybe a competition could be a separate thing as well as the awareness challenge? What would people win?

Gah, so many obstacles!

FoosBoo88 x

Edited by FoosBoo88
Guest LauraMac

giving laura the credit for the shelfie .... humph lol ;)

An idea i have is tipping a small bag of flour over the head

The white would represent fear , as i feel you look very pale when in the grips of fear and anxiety

And (wait for it !! ) the cliche could be " self raising awareness"

I actually love this! Haha self raising awareness! Lol! :)

You were the creator of the shelfie, kudos to you! :)

Xx

Perfect timing with OCD Awareness Week coming up (13-18th October). It would be great if we start to run this the week before, and during.

I am not sure we have a winning idea yet, but the best ideas come from brainstorming like this guys. We have a good idea for a poster campaign the trustees came up with through brainstorming, but as of yet we have not figured the best way to distribute it (once printed) so it will be seen.

What we need to show is that OCD is not just the obsessions or the compulsions, it is the D part that makes us different from those that claim to be 'a little bit OCD'.

So between us I am sure we will come up with the right idea.

Guest LauraMac

Oh yes...but then I'm 1/4 Irish myself so..figures ;)

Health and safety...ahh yes... I expect health and safety would of approved of people throwing ice over their heads, too? I'm thinking shock right here. And what about those silly sausages who sat in ice baths to take part? I'm sensing a touch of hypothermia? Suddenly a plank seems fine. And anyhow, we used to walk balance beams all the time in gym class in school!

Just my thoughts! Lol

FoosBoo88 x

Get what you're saying but you always have to think of bad press too. Someone doing too big a plank on dangerous equipment might bring bad press lol. Always have to think about what the public will think. Just like the sad story of the person who had the heart attack and died due to the ice bucket challenge. Always has to be factored in, maybe that's me being over cautious because I run OCD NI and wouldn't want the bad press but I'm sure Ashley would want to be careful too. :)

Get what you're saying but you always have to think of bad press too. Someone doing too big a plank on dangerous equipment might bring bad press lol. Always have to think about what the public will think. Just like the sad story of the person who had the heart attack and died due to the ice bucket challenge. Always has to be factored in, maybe that's me being over cautious because I run OCD NI and wouldn't want the bad press but I'm sure Ashley would want to be careful too. :)

Mmm I didn't think of that. See someone with common sense (Well..I try!) would make sure it's stable BEFORE trying to walk a plank..but you know..

My husand just showed me an ice bucket challenge video of a girl who took the challenge, then ran into a washing line. We definitely don't want that! It as to be fun and safe.

And someone died doing the ice bucket challenge? Wow :(

FoosBoo88 x

Guest LauraMac

Mmm I didn't think of that. See someone with common sense (Well..I try!) would make sure it's stable BEFORE trying to walk a plank..but you know..

My husand just showed me an ice bucket challenge video of a girl who took the challenge, then ran into a washing line. We definitely don't want that! It as to be fun and safe.

And someone died doing the ice bucket challenge? Wow :(

FoosBoo88 x

Yep someone with common sense would. But loads out there wouldn't! We'd have to make it idiot proof so to speak! Lol. I've seen some really stupid things on the internet in my time! Haha

What about a load of "Glamping" weekends up and down the UK showing how a normally fun experience can be notoriously difficult for someone with OCD or anxiety. No-one could set it up with the military precision that Stephen does but perhaps several people could identify a camp site in their area of the country.

And what happened to the Poetry Book....we never do seem to get knuckled down to doing this?

Guest LauraMac

What....no shorts?? :eek:

I'm trying so hard to think of something but now I've just got 'expose yourself for OCD' in my head and it's making me laugh so much I can't! Haha

The thing that annoys me with the Ice Bucket Challenge (although thank you to the three people that donated to OCD-UK) is that yes it is for MNS charity (ALS in the US) which is a worthy cause I am sure, but people are taking the fact we have clean and safe water to tip over our heads and waste, but in some parts of the world people don't even have drinking water. That said, like the NoMakeUpSelfie it was a 'hit' and both raised lots for charities. .

And what happened to the Poetry Book....we never do seem to get knuckled down to doing this?

I have targeted that for OCD Awareness Week 2015. I have been seeking someone with experience in publishing poetry to help us edit the book to get the right 50 or 100 poems. I have had a great poem submitted though that we will publish in the mag and website this October.

Guest LauraMac

Right I had put this idea down but I'm now chucking it out there for our brainstorm. I had been thinking of this with OCD NI but happy to share with OCD Uk. :)

So good old fashioned dares. So you dare a friend anything you want (relates to facing your fears perhaps) and if they opt out they have to pay a fine.

Relates to the unpredictable nature of OCD

Facing your fears/exposure etc

Edited by LauraMac