OCD-UK - Shot glass challenge - Merged Thread

Carmoole. you'll never catch me "glamping". I'm a camper, through and through! :D

But that beng said, even camping and having sharp knives in a tupperware tub in the kitchen area would be hell for my OCD.

FoosBoo88 x

Problem with that LauraMac is again..that could start getting silly. Someone with OCD could be dared to do something which may jeopardise their recovery (I'm sensing people being dared to stick their hand down the loo or something silly like that).

Sadly, again, there's always one who will blow it out of proportion!

FoosBoo88 x

Guest LauraMac

Problem with that LauraMac is again..that could start getting silly. Someone with OCD could be dared to do something which may jeopardise their recovery (I'm sensing people being dared to stick their hand down the loo or something silly like that).

Sadly, again, there's always one who will blow it out of proportion!

FoosBoo88 x

They always can opt out though with a fine. Let's be honest you need some people to do that! I actually think silly is the way to go. The success of the Ice bucket challenge is that it is silly and people love to see the silly things people do/say. It's also about conquering the challenge which makes people do it. Don't want something too serious or no one will be bothered doing it. I think fun is probably the why to go :) Edited by LauraMac
Guest nicolam381318

People with OCD are caught in a cycle of obsessions and compulsions so how about something simple like hola-hooping, to represent getting stuck in that circle of behaviour? I could do it really well as a child but I find it really difficult now (the same as a lot of grown-ups, I would expect). Could make for some amusing videos? Just a thought...

People with OCD are caught in a cycle of obsessions and compulsions so how about something simple like hola-hooping, to represent getting stuck in that circle of behaviour? I could do it really well as a child but I find it really difficult now (the same as a lot of grown-ups, I would expect). Could make for some amusing videos? Just a thought...

Actually I like that, the hoop also represents the O of the OCD too. It's fun and simple, everyone can do it (apart from me, never been able), easy to capture video and photos. The only problem is not everyone will have a hoop (but that's not enough to not go with the idea). Would people watch a video of it though?

Are we looking for people without OCD to do it? Is it silly enough for people without OCD to do it for fun?

I'm going to Dare people.....I dare anyone reading this thread to donate £2 to OCD-UK via the Donation link on the front page of the forum. There's been an attempt to raise £250 for months now and there's still only £55 in the pot :(

Off to donate mine right now :D

It could LauraMac but there again it could get dangerous (running across a railway if you fear jumping in front of train, for example). I just don't think it's fair people should have to face a fine if the dare they're given risks their OCD or is potentially dangerous. I'm just thinking of those H&S demons again!

I do quite like this reference, but I can't hula hoop for toffee! I'm also not sure how much interest it will get :(

FoosBoo88 x

Actually I like that, the hoop also represents the O of the OCD too. It's fun and simple, everyone can do it (apart from me, never been able), easy to capture video and photos. The only problem is not everyone will have a hoop (but that's not enough to not go with the idea). Would people watch a video of it though?

Are we looking for people without OCD to do it? Is it silly enough for people without OCD to do it for fun?

This was my concern, I can see people going "hula hoop for OCD? Pft, no". It needs to make people want to get up and participate.

FoosBoo88 x

Guest LauraMac

I quite like that idea, I could never hula hoop so it would make for a hilarious video! The only thing as you guys say about people not having hoops. Being honest I don't have one, neither do I knows where to get one lol. Do you think people would be self conscious about appearing silly on camera, I know I wouldn't like! I wouldn't care, would others?

Would people watch a video of it though?

Perhaps if it is primarily aimed at people with OCD to participate, they can try and briefly share their OCD story whilst hooping (is that the right word? lol) Great fun way to educate their friends. If we assume we get 500 people across the world with OCD do it in October, that's seen by a minimum of 10 friends then that is 5000 people educated about the obsessive nature of OCD. If they then challenge their friends to give the hoop a go for their local OCD charity, then those 5000 people will at least be spreading bit of an OCD message to another 10 friends and 50,000 people.

So, could we get 500 people with OCD around the world to do it?

I'm going to Dare people.....I dare anyone reading this thread to donate £2 to OCD-UK via the Donation link on the front page of the forum. There's been an attempt to raise £250 for months now and there's still only £55 in the pot :(

Off to donate mine right now :D

Liking it, simple and effective. "Dare & Share" on Facebook! :D

FoosBoo88 x

Hey guys,

Had a little brainstorm on this.......

OCD is like climbing a mountain, right. So why dont we literally climb a mountan or hill, take a selfie on top and donate £3 to OCD-UK.

We could even do it in groups if anyone would be interested. I was thing of Snowdon in North Wales!!!

I quite like that idea, I could never hula hoop so it would make for a hilarious video! The only thing as you guys say about people not having hoops. Being honest I don't have one, neither do I knows where to get one lol. Do you think people would be self conscious about appearing silly on camera, I know I wouldn't like! I wouldn't care, would others?

I would, definitely, especially with my scolio. My hoop would get stuck!

FoosBoo88 x

Hey guys,

Had a little brainstorm on this.......

OCD is like climbing a mountain, right. So why dont we literally climb a mountan or hill, take a selfie on top and donate £3 to OCD-UK.

We could even do it in groups if anyone would be interested. I was thing of Snowdon in North Wales!!!

My Mum's stairs kill me! Great idea, but it does limit people with physical disabilities.

FoosBoo88 x

Guest LauraMac

It could LauraMac but there again it could get dangerous (running across a railway if you fear jumping in front of train, for example). I just don't think it's fair people should have to face a fine if the dare they're given risks their OCD or is potentially dangerous. I'm just thinking of those H&S demons again!

I do quite like this reference, but I can't hula hoop for toffee! I'm also not sure how much interest it will get :(

FoosBoo88 x

The idea isn't facing fears in terms of fear of trains etc! I maybe put that badly but I was thinking more in terms of silly dares not life treating ones! Haha. It wouldn't be about getting OCD sufferers to face exposure! That's not the idea. I think I was thinking of something milder than yourself. Like 'I dare you to eat a raw chilli' or something, not 'I dare you to run in front of a train"!

Perhaps if it is primarily aimed at people with OCD to participate, they can try and briefly share their OCD story whilst hooping (is that the right word? lol) Great fun way to educate their friends. If we assume we get 500 people across the world with OCD do it in October, that's seen by a minimum of 10 friends then that is 5000 people educated about the obsessive nature of OCD. If they then challenge their friends to give the hoop a go for their local OCD charity, then those 5000 people will at least be spreading bit of an OCD message to another 10 friends and 50,000 people.

So, could we get 500 people with OCD around the world to do it?

I think you could, but would 10 of their friends do it? I doubt it. I don't think it's something that would appeal to non-sufferers. That's the problem.

FoosBoo88 x

The idea isn't facing fears in terms of fear of trains etc! I maybe put that badly but I was thinking more in terms of silly dares not life treating ones! Haha. It wouldn't be about getting OCD sufferers to face exposure! That's not the idea. I think I was thinking of something milder than yourself. Like 'I dare you to eat a raw chilli' or something, not 'I dare you to run in front of a train"!

From someone who is allergic to chillies...they're as bad as one another! :p

FoosBoo88 x

Guest LauraMac

That's why I said briefly lol.... or you just need to talk fast lol. I can't hoop either, I have tried... lol

Haha it just basically drops on me! I'd have to put practice in haha! Having said that it would be while funny!

Edited by LauraMac
Guest LauraMac

That's actually what would make it funny though.

The only thing is that it might be hard for non-sufferers to take part but it just depends what the market is :)

Just as well LauraMac!

Re hula hoop, the other problem is space. I live in a 1-bed flat with a communal garden and anti-social neighbours. I could hula at the park...If I could hula at all! :p

FoosBoo88 x