OCD-UK - Shot glass challenge - Merged Thread

That's 3 of us who can't hoop, out of a required 500. Sure about that one, guys? :p

FoosBoo88 x

But I think that is kind of the fun, anyone watching me trying to hoop for two minutes would be laughing non-stop at my pot bellied attempts!

But anyhoo, back to the drawing board on ideas then. We don't need to come up with the idea today, so we should all put some thought into it.

My Mum's stairs kill me! Great idea, but it does limit people with physical disabilities.

FoosBoo88 x

Hey Foos,

I did'nt think of that, sorry if it offended anyone.

But it could be climbing anything in your personal abilities, A selfie of you at the top of your mums stairs would be an achievement!!!

I maybe did'nt put my idea across very well, what I meant was climb whatever is in your abilities.

PS - If you saw me try and hula hoop you would be laughing for days!!!!!

I

The only thing is that it might be hard for non-sufferers to take part but it just depends what the market is :)

I think the idea would be, if they see their loved one/friends with OCD making idiots of themselves, they would then give it a go to show us how it is done. They don't need to talk about OCD, other than to say this was the OCD Challenge (or words that highlight the thing).

But wouldn't it just be 2-3 minutes of us bending down to pick up our hoops?

Then you'd get someone of gymnastic abilities hula hoop on the spot for 2-3 minutes, no problems at all. Doesn't that kind of make OCD look easy?

FoosBoo88 x

Guest LauraMac

Hey Foos,

But it could be climbing anything in your personal abilities, A selfie of you at the top of your mums stairs would be an achievement!!!

I maybe did'nt put my idea across very well, what I meant was climb whatever is in your abilities.

I

I actually quite like that idea! Would make for some good pics

But I think that is kind of the fun, anyone watching me trying to hoop for two minutes would be laughing non-stop at my pot bellied attempts!

But anyhoo, back to the drawing board on ideas then. We don't need to come up with the idea today, so we should all put some thought into it.

Hulas are just a fixed belt for me...I piled on the pounds during the first 18 months of this recent episode of OCD. I will keep thinking, we have plenty of metaphors to work with if nothing else. I can't believe nobody was up for being taped to a chair or something :p

Hey Foos,

I

No worries at all. Though, Dad has a stairlift. Could I make a video while stairlifting to the top? :p

FoosBoo88 x

Guest LauraMac

What about some sort of balancing activity? They can actually be quite funny because of the antics of people trying to balance. Don't 100% know where to go with that right enough!

Maybe a chucking sponges at people while they balance or something.

Hulas are just a fixed belt for me...I piled on the pounds during the first 18 months of this recent episode of OCD. I will keep thinking, we have plenty of metaphors to work with if nothing else. I can't believe nobody was up for being taped to a chair or something :p

No worries at all. Though, Dad has a stairlift. Could I make a video while stairlifting to the top? :p

FoosBoo88 x

HaHa :original:

What about some sort of balancing activity? They can actually be quite funny because of the antics of people trying to balance. Don't 100% know where to go with that right enough!

Maybe a chucking sponges at people while they balance or something.

Bagsy chucking the sponges!!!!!!

Guest LauraMac

Something as simple as showing talents (particularly within the OCD community) could be quite powerful. Generally people with OCD have had some form of low self esteem or low self worth. So celebrating talents might be quite nice for confidence building and everything. I've found through the OCD NI talent page that sufferers have some amazing talents that just need a platform.

Something as simple as showing talents (particularly within the OCD community) could be quite powerful. Generally people with OCD have had some form of low self esteem or low self worth. So celebrating talents might be quite nice for confidence building and everything. I've found through the OCD NI talent page that sufferers have some amazing talents that just need a platform.

I have thought abou cooking for family and friends before where I'd have to use knives to cook. I'm known for some great cooking, but I think a lot of people would just see that as a meal and not really recognise my OCD.

And then again, if we close it down to the community, that takes away the OCD awareness thing. Isn't that what we were trying to achieve in the first place? Lol :p

FoosBoo88 x

Guest nicolam381318

You could simply challenge people to 'hoop' for a set time (one min, two, whatever seems sensible); if they fail they would donate so much to OCDUK. I think most people would take up the challenge if asked. My nephew was struggling with his hoop the other week. I used to be pretty good as a child (came runner up in a hooping competition at Butlins, no less!). Two turns and it was on the ground. It looks so easy but to every one over ten, it's surprisingly hard! Whoever you challenged would almost certainly pick up that hoop to prove they could do better, just like I did with my nephew. You wouldn't need to stand up to do it if that was difficult. You could use a smaller hoop around your wrist, or even a ring donut on your finger (maybe that's going a bit far) :-)

The difficulty of keeping the hoop going might also represent the challenge of living within that circle of obsessive-compulsive behaviour.

Edited by nicolam381318
Guest LauraMac

And then again, if we close it down to the community, that takes away the OCD awareness thing. Isn't that what we were trying to achieve in the first place? Lol :p

FoosBoo88 x

I didn't say that it was only open to the OCD community though, I said that particularly within the OCD community it would be good for self esteem etc!

Edited by LauraMac

You could simply challenge people to 'hoop' for a set time (one min, two, whatever seems sensible); if they fail they would donate so much to OCDUK. I think most people would take up the challenge if asked. My nephew was struggling with his hoop the other week. I used to be pretty good as a child (came runner up in a hooping competition at Butlins, no less!). Two turns and it was on the ground. It looks so easy but to every one over ten, it's surprisingly hard! Whoever you challenged would almost certainly pick up that hoop to prove they could do better, just like I did with my nephew. You wouldn't even need to stand up to do it. You could use a smaller hoop around your wrist, or even a ring donut on your finger (maybe that's going a bit far) :-)

The difficulty of keeping the hoop going might also represent the challenge of living within that circle of obsessive-compulsive behaviour.

Interesting.. interesting... though I think you should have to hula properly. Otherwise it defies the point.

FoosBoo88 x

What about leaping into water pictures......"Taking the Plunge" or "Leap of Faith"

Could be into a swimming pool, stood on the edge of the bath, a bit of photo-shop editing splicing a pic of yourself stood on a glass rim, jumping into a stream

...but then there's the H & S Monster to consider....don't want anyone being too wreckless

Trouble is with that idea is if it did catch on, then people would be leaping into dangerous places, it would turn into Tombstoning, which often leads to death...

Let me think some more, I still like my finger idea LOL

A lot of the ideas here could lead to dangerous antics, someone else just died because of the ice bucket challenge. This is why I liked the Alzheimer's campaign, it was simple, it was easy and it was safe. Not everyone has a hula hoop, what about people who are disabled they couldn't take part in this.

One thing we could do, not on subject, but OCD UK could do with a banner that people could spread across the web on other sites.

Also, trying to get celebs who care about mental illness to re tweet us would be a good idea, but don't pester them LOL

Edited by Phili

Just been nominated to do the ice bucket challenge. I have an ice bucket (you know, like people use for cocktails) which I've filled with orange juice, lemonade and ice. Guess where my money goes? ;)

It is..by all standards..an ice bucket ;)

FoosBoo88 x

Just been nominated to do the ice bucket challenge. I have an ice bucket (you know, like people use for cocktails) which I've filled with orange juice, lemonade and ice. Guess where my money goes? ;)

It is..by all standards..an ice bucket ;)

FoosBoo88 x

It is completely your choice whether you take part, but please be aware that the money funds cruel and ineffective animal research. People should be aware before they make the choice whether to take part.

Guest Hyznbrg

Is really quite shocking how many people don't donate to this site already. £250 is a tiny target, it's unfair to ask non suffers to donate when suffers can't find it within themselves to give anything.

I don't mean to sound negative on what is a positive post. Just saying

Just to say, the donation chart on the right is just the donations made through the forums, it does not show donations made through the main website. We have had some very generous donations from forum a few users, so thank you for that to those people and of course members already donate by virtue of being members :)

Is really quite shocking how many people don't donate to this site already. £250 is a tiny target, it's unfair to ask non suffers to donate when suffers can't find it within themselves to give anything.

I hear you, but my main aim was about the awareness. The donations would just be a boost for OCD-UK.

FoosBoo88 x

Guest legend

Donations come from many different sources Hyznbrg.

Non sufferers donate to many charitys , even though they have no connections to the cause.

Guest Hyznbrg

Donations come from many different sources Hyznbrg.

Non sufferers donate to many charitys , even though they have no connections to the cause.

Well in that case I'm happy to be wrong. I'm aware there is very generous people here, and due to the illness a caring community. I tend to visit the forums more than the main site and the donation bar never seems to change. I found it frustrating, until that is Ashley pointed out people just choice to do it through the main site instead.

I'm all for raising awareness, hope you guys think of something.