OCD Conference - London

Ashley, are these the only two workshops???

62579[/snapback]

They are I am afraid. The venue wanted £270 per room for just 2 hours so we simply could not afford to rent more than 2 rooms.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to wish you all a safe journey and a really good time!! thumb up.gif

Shame i cant attend but theres always a next time original.gif

Make sure you'll tell us all about it when youre back!!

Love to you all XX

I cannot go either! Ironically I was in London a week ago on business. Typical of my luck - not only do I miss the chance to attend a great conference, but I miss the chance to meet some wonderful people too sad.gif

In any case, I wish you all the very best and I am certain it will all go well.

I particularly wish Northern Star all the best, since I know how nervous she is about speaking. You'll be fine - more than that, you'll do well - I feel it!

Sorry I haven't been around recently - had a lot to do at work and a lot to think about outside of it. I'm well - less stressed - a bit more pensive (which tends to make me more insular) but I am working things out. Slowly but surely. I've missed being here and reading about all your ups and downs, often taking inspiration from the ups and consolation from the downs knowing I am not alone..........

Medication sode-effects starting to decrease, anxiety and angst reducing, suicidal thoughts less frequent and less powerful, voices almost gone, bad thoughts and nervous twitching and headaches still there (most powerful at the moment) and ADHD still plays havoc with esteem - but therapy has started and is going well - she's GOOD!

Just need to sort stuff out and move on.

See you all around - hopefully I can make one of these conferences some time - maybe in Manchester or Liverpool (where I have friends and relatives). It would be so hard to choose between the two! whistling.gif *grin*

/me

Yesterdays event seems to have gone down very well, and the day would not have been possible without the help of our volunteers and to all of them a huge thankyousign.gif

The two main criticisms, which I would agree with to be honest were the lack of signage and drinks, sadly the drinks machines were failing (not accepting the coins). The lecture theatre also became very hot and stuffy in the afternoon. However, I hope and the feedback forms seem to indicate that these were minor failings in an otherwise successful day.

Thank you to everyone that completed the feedback forms, we now have data from 3 events and this will be studied for our next events, likely to be 2006 now.

Thank you so much for the conference yesterday, it was very informative, encouraging and somewhat emotional, with some humour thrown in.

What brave an inspiring stories we heard and for people like me who have still got some way to go, it showed that there is a brighter light at the end of the tunnel.

For all those that have been unfortunate in not finding a good therapist, I would like to offer some words of encouragement. After a shaky start, I have had an excellent therapist, who had recommended that I try and attend the conference, which was no mean feat, as until recently I have not been able to get out of the house.

My therapist has given support both to me and my family and has given me an excellent insight into OCD. I had a struggle to get this treatment, but it is out there and there is hope.

Hi Amber

I'm so glad you got so much out of yesterday. I'm very impressed with your therapist recommending you coming!

Welcome to the bulletin board, and I hope it will be an ongoing support and resource for you.

All the best

Stephen

Guest Chrystal

I think I speak for everyone in giving a big fat thankyousign.gif to Ashley for all his work arranging the event in the first place , including all his running around and getting stuff set up, making sure everyone were in the right place at the right time and generally ensuring the smooth running of the conference. I rarely saw him sitting down in one place for more than half hour during each session! The conference went smoothly and there were no evident hiccups (and if there were - no one noticed!!!). Well Done Ash !

Also a thankyousign.gif to Steve for all his organising, assisting ppl with directions before and during the conference and for his fab running around the lecture hall with the microphone!!! Well Done Steve !

WELL DONE GUYS ! A JOB VERY WELL DONE !

cheer.gifbounce8.gifcheer.gif

Thanks Chrystal! I enjoyed it! (I assume and hope Ashley enjoyed it too!!!?)

Penny was also one of the main organisers, and did a lot of the preparation work, liasion with the venue as well as videoing proceedings on the day, helping with Blake's workshop and running the media stand, so hats off to Penny too!

Hi everyone,

It was a great day and I really enjoyed the conference!! I particularly found Paul's sessions very interesting and it did fill me with some hope (just hope I find a good CBT therapist now).

It was good catching up with everyone again and sorry to those who I didn't meet... have to apologise to Northern Star too for probably scaring the hell outta her in the toilets lol!! I had to say hi but just kinda ran up to you in an over the top type manner so sorry about that lol!! Also want to say sorry for not saying hi to Wendy - I saw you and your hubby down in reception but got all nervous and was too scared to introduce myself... blushing.gif

Anyway apart from my embarrassing rambling (Scott will be well used to my rambling by now lol), I had a really good and informative day!

Love Andrea

have to apologise to Northern Star too for probably scaring the hell outta her in the toilets lol!!  I had to say hi but just kinda ran up to you in an over the top type manner so sorry about that lol!!

63852[/snapback]

wontlisten.gif

Could have swore I had posted this already but now I can't find it, so hence another post.

I just wanted to thank all our volunteers for their superb efforts at the conference on Saturday, it goes without saying that you all did a tremendous job to ensure the smooth running of the event, thank you to one and all.

Michelle and her husband, Pootle, Jade and Muse Man, Maria B and her husband, Northern Star and of course Stephen and Penny for helping to organise the day. And also everyone who took notes for us.

Who did the talk with Dr Shafran and I presume later stuffing herself with choccies

Not eaten them yet actually! Was intending to eat them Sat night with my mates but fell asleep before 11...was exhausted. But they look yummy so thank you original.gifthumb up.gif .

have to apologise to Northern Star too for probably scaring the hell outta her in the toilets lol!!  I had to say hi but just kinda ran up to you in an over the top type manner so sorry about that lol!!

It was fine! You didn't seem OTT at all original.gif (ignore Ashley! wontlisten.gif ). Apologies for my being obsessively washing when you met me! blushing.gif

It was fine! You didn't seem OTT at all original.gif (ignore Ashley!  wontlisten.gif ). Apologies for my being obsessively washing when you met me!  blushing.gif

63916[/snapback]

S'ok, I always ignore Ashley wink.giflol.gif

Don't worry about your washing - it was just good to finally meet you properly!

i was a little bit in my own little world on saturday- i think i missed meeting quite a few of you - sorry. I was the tall bird with a plait, skeleton- looking, and with a grey sleeveless top.

Guest ScottOCDid
Anyway apart from my embarrassing rambling (Scott will be well used to my rambling by now lol), I had a really good and informative day!

63852[/snapback]

confused1.gif

I'm a hillwalker, remember, I enjoy rambling! And you didn't laugh once when I reached into my Dr Who's tardice-like rucksack for my umpteenth bottle of water laugh.gif .

I only wish I'd spent more time mingling. The extended lunch break lent itself to meeting other delegates but before I knew what I was doing, force of habit had taken me off for a wander in the sun by myself. Like doh.gif , how to miss the point of a conference!

Anyway, it was great to meet up with all the folks with whom I did chat, and to be introduced to those whom I hadn't met before.

Scott

thumb up.gif

The extended lunch break lent itself to meeting other delegates but before I knew what I was doing, force of habit had taken me off for a wander in the sun by myself. 

63922[/snapback]

To be honest that was why I wanted to do a 90 minute lunch break, to allow people to wander off to get a breather, but also time to chat to other people.

How did people find this? Would you prefer a one hour break to get on with the conference or did the 90 minute lunch work?

confused1.gif

I'm a hillwalker, remember, I enjoy rambling!  And you didn't laugh once when I reached into my Dr Who's tardice-like rucksack for my umpteenth bottle of water laugh.gif .

lol.gif I honestly didn't notice you drinking loads of water from your Dr Who's tardice-like rucksack. wink.gif

i personally think the 90 mins was good- i suppose "mingling" in the future is better encouraged is there is tea and coffee etc.

I appreciated the time to be a bit sociable and then take myself off on my own for a little panic. (old habits die hard lol) I also think it helped so as to avoid information overload. For me, it was quite a stressful situation and so my concentration is lower. Therefore the break helped me.

I think the only bit I felt was a bit difficult was the workshops straight after lunch. My medication means I get very drowsy after taking my lunchtime meds. I found the first 25 minutes hard to concentrate on.

This isn't something OCD UK can combat just me so this isn't much help to anyone... so I'll stop talking. shutup.gif Sorry.

Hi Andrea original.gif

beliefs I'm really not that scary eek.gif !!!!!!

I would have loved to say hi! (against everyone's beliefs I love to chat laugh.gif ).

I still get a wee bit over-excited when I meet people it's just so brilliant to be able too!!!!! I WILL calm down..promise!

Love Wendy x