Quatiapine.... Advice please x

Guest lucylia

Guest lucylia

I think that's how you spell it lol. But I had an appointment with my psych the other day who wanted a few days to

Go over all my notes and decide on the bet medication for me. I just received a call from my surgery saying a prescription is waiting for me

For quatiapine. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or any past experience? Please any advice would be great xx

Lucy xxx

Guest lizinlondon

I am on this 50mg twice a day. How much are you on? I am taking it with fluoxetine. The fluoxetine is an antidepressant and it was stimulating me too much, so I started taking Quetiapine to help me calm down. I found it useful. Are you on other meds?

Guest lucylia

No other meds just now. He doesn't want to put me on an anti depressant as he doesn't believe I suffer from "depression" .... Ok buddy!! Lol .... But I do get major racing thoughts and confusion when anxious xx I also have bpd and bi polar so this is to stabalize my moods. How does it make you feel? Can u drink alcohol x

Lucy xxx

Lucy xxx

Guest lizinlondon

Yes it stabilises my mood. It makes me feel calmer but it can make me feel a bit spaced out. I need that right now so I don't mind.

I can't drink right now cos I too ill. I would say don't drink too much. Maybe try a bit and see how you react, take it very slowly.

Not sure why he wont put you on an antidepressant because they are the ones that help with the thoughts. And anti psychotics will calm you down but on there own have been known to not help ocd or even worsen symptoms. Best meds ive had for ocd were fluoxetine and clomipramine

I've been on 200mg for a while but I've been getting restless legs and drowsiness that I can't really put up with anymore so the doc says to reduce to 100mg which will hopefully help. However I am on two other drugs and it's not entirely guaranteed that it is this drug which is causing it, the doctor just said it was the likely one. Everyone is different though. I don't see many people say they get restless legs from it like me.

Guest lizinlondon

The effects of the Quetiapine wear off for me every couple of weeks, then they increase dose. It makes me feel spaced out but I think I need that now. I look forward to the day I can stop taking it!

Guest Annabel

I was on 300mg of quitiapine for some reason. Made me a zombie.

Now I take 10mg as needed or to go to sleep - it makes me really sleepy

That's interesting, I didn't know you could take it as-needed- does it act in a similar way to a benzodiazepine (like diazepam)?

Does it have any effect on obsessions and compulsions or just mood?

Also will a tiny dose (10mg) have an effect on weight? (I know higher doses often lead to weight gain)

Guest lizinlondon

It has no effect on compulsions or obsessions. It stabilizes mood and makes me calmer. It is not used to treat OCD but combined with antidepressents usually to treat OCD.

10mg should not cause weight gain, but just be aware of it in case.

Guest sarah1984

I'm on 300mg daily too and have been since November 2011. I haven't put on any weight as a result of the quetiapine, although I understand this is very rare. Quetiapine can be used at low doses to boost the effectiveness of an antidepressant; it can be used at doses of around 150-300mg to treat anxiety and depression and doses of 600-800mg are used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. It doesn't have any effect on obsessions and compulsions and in all honesty, I personally don't believe there is any medication that does that, despite claims that clomipramine and SSRIs can treat OCD. I believe quetiapine works because of its sedative effect. In answer to Annabel's question, yes, you can take quetiapine on an as needed basis and it has a sedative effect just like diazepam. The advantage over benzos is that it is non-addictive and its effectiveness doesn't wear off over time. I take the extended release version of quetiapine before bed time but I also have a supply of 25mg active release tablets to take if I'm ever really struggling. Before I started quetiapine, I was having to rely on diazepam and the sleeping pill zopiclone which I hated because of the risk of addiction and the fact that after a week or so they didn't really do anything for me. As soon as I started quetiapine, I was able to give up the benzos and sleeping pills and I was absolutely thrilled. I have to take the extended release version at night time because I found that if I took more than 50mg active release in the morning I would fall asleep till lunch time.

Lucylia - I hope you find quetiapine helpful.

Guest Annabel

Thanks for the info Sarah. I might ask my GP whether or not he'd consider prescribing 25mg active release tablets instead of diazepam for panicky states. :) I hope you're okay!