Ouija board as therapy.

Guest Tricia

Science experiment or not I really don't think it best to experiment with Ouija. Some of the stories here suggest people have had bad experiences with this kind of thing without having ocd to contend with as well. Although I didn't use Ouija directly - my own experiences of similar things had a bad affect.

Edited by SaraJane

Don't worry, Heartplace. Its just a science experiment :)

Michael Bentine's father was a scientist and did experiment. I agree with Heartplace and SaraJane.

Edited by Tricia

Gale, a friend is thinking of trying this after reading David Veale's book and I am very concerned. Just wanted to know if anyone had done this and whether they coped or even improved.

A few years ago, I would have had no problem with it as I didn't believe in such things, but it does pay, I think, to have an open mind and listen to people you trust.

Bad experiences with the Ouija certainly don't always happen in dramatic locations. My mother's experience and that of my daughter's friend were in very normal rooms. Both were treating it as a game when they began...

Please, I know people here are looking at it from a scientific point of view and it is so difficult to express a warning when people don't believe what you are saying but whether you think I'm a loon or not I have to say this, you, your friend, anyone, there are things not to be toyed with and this is one of them, if you want exposure to the spiritual or supernatural world then there are many other ways far less dangerous and much more effective. As an alternative, why not try some using Tarot instead, not normal card keep away from those, a tarot pack is inexpensive, there are tutorials online or go to a seance by a proper medium, try divining crystals or rods, visit a graveyard at night with friends. Even try holding a pen over paper and try automatic writing if you or your friend is so intent on trying channelling spirits as exposure but I wouldn't recommend it, but it is still better than quija.

I know you will all think I'm a nut but the spirit world is complicated, some spirits are angry, sad, confused and those are the earth bound ones, quija calls on those in the beyond and not all spirits there are or ever where human, only very experienced mediums or very experienced witches and warlocks know how to enter that world, you can laugh if you want I don't care, I just want to convince you, I don't want you or your friend to fall under misfortune because of some arrogant idiot in a book that thinks he knows everything because he is too narrow minded to think he isn't right.

It is true that you may use the board and nothing may happen but that is less likely than something happening and the consequences are not worth it.

You don't have to believe in what I believe in, you can think I'm nutty as a Cadbury fruit and nut but no matter what you believe it is a bad idea.

Edited by Phili

I don't think you're nutty at all and I am going to do all I can to dissuade my friend. But because the Ouija is mentioned in David Veale's book, it might not be easy.

Phili, I would actually go one stage further than you and say the Tarot is also dangerous. Maybe not on the level of the Ouija, but best left to experienced people.

Guest heartplace

if you want exposure to the spiritual or supernatural world then there are many other ways far less dangerous and much more effective. As an alternative, why not try some using Tarot instead, not normal card keep away from those, a tarot pack is inexpensive, there are tutorials online or go to a seance by a proper medium, try divining crystals or rods, visit a graveyard at night with friends. Even try holding a pen over paper and try automatic writing if you or your friend is so intent on trying channelling spirits as exposure but I wouldn't recommend it, but it is still better than quija.

I know you mean well, but I really don't think any of those are good ideas either. They're all forms of divination, or spiritism. Hence they're harmful to anyone, OCD or not.

Heartplace is right and I wish to goodness I hadn't started this thread when I am putting people like Gale at risk. However, I will ask my friend to read the messages here, because I think more people are warning against using the Ouija.

Gale, please, if you really are interested, at least find an experienced Spiritualist group near you. I know Heartplace probably won't agree with me, but it's better than doing it on your own or with friends who don't know anything about it.

Edited by Tricia

I know you mean well, but I really don't think any of those are good ideas either. They're all forms of divination, or spiritism. Hence they're harmful to anyone, OCD or not.

Yes, but I have tried some of those myself, (nothing to do with OCD), and they are a lot better than Quija if you are intent.

Gale, please don't, don't make me Cassandra, its not worth it, there is so much more between heaven and earth than we know.

Edited by Phili

Yes, but I have tried some of those myself, (nothing to do with OCD), and they are a lot better than Quija if you are intent.

Gale, please don't, don't make me Cassandra, its not worth it, there is so much more between heaven and earth than we know.

I really hope I don't sound a nut but I grew up with my beliefs

if you want exposure to the spiritual or supernatural world then there are many other ways far less dangerous and much more effective. As an alternative, why not try some using Tarot instead, not normal card keep away from those, a tarot pack is inexpensive, there are tutorials online or go to a seance by a proper medium, try divining crystals or rods, visit a graveyard at night with friends. Even try holding a pen over paper and try automatic writing if you or your friend is so intent on trying channelling spirits as exposure but I wouldn't recommend it, but it is still better than quija.

To me these practices are still variations of the same theme (in the same way there are various breeds of cat but they are all still cats) and therefore equally as dangerous as Ouija. The people who I have known (myself included) have suffered through engaging with this stuff. I wouldn't advise anyone to get involved with any of this especially as an ocd sufferer.

Edited by SaraJane

To me these practices are still variations of the same theme (in the same way there are various breeds of cat but they are all still cats) and therefore equally as dangerous as Ouija. The people who I have known (myself included) have suffered through engaging with this stuff. I wouldn't advise anyone to get involved with any of this especially as an ocd sufferer.

Thats Ok tricia everyone is entitled to there beliefs

I mentioned them because they are a safer alternative to the Quija board. Things go wrong when people dabble in this stuff and don't understand the way it works

Y'all can think I'm a nut but a simple board and pointer that sells for a few bucks at your local novelty shop doesn't contact anyone or anything. It's about as useless at contacting the spirit world as a spatula.

What is dangerous is that people can get caught up in the hype surrounding ouija boards and actually believe the answers that appear are true and from the spirit world. That's the dangerous part. In the wrong hands a toy like that can cause people to believe what they are seeing. That can have all sorts of negative ramifications for someone suffering from a mental illness.

Guest heartplace

Thats Ok tricia everyone is entitled to there beliefs

I mentioned them because they are a safer alternative to the Quija board. Things go wrong when people dabble in this stuff and don't understand the way it works

I think it's harmful even if people understand how it works. Not short term maybe, but definitely in the long run. Harm could still come to spiritualists, for example, no matter how experienced they are in whatever medium they use whether it be tarot cards, astrology, etc.

Edited by heartplace
Guest Soldiering on

Y'all can think I'm a nut but a simple board and pointer that sells for a few bucks at your local novelty shop doesn't contact anyone or anything. It's about as useless at contacting the spirit world as a spatula.

:D

Guest Soldiering on

:no: On your heads be it if lightning strikes, this is the last word from Cassandra

May God thunder a lightning bolt through my window.

:-)

I try not to focus on this side of my OCD any more. I've banished magical thinking...

Now if only I could deal with the other stuff....

I think it's harmful even if people understand how it works. Not short term maybe, but definitely in the long run. Harm could still come to spiritualists, for example, no matter how experienced they are in whatever medium they use whether it be tarot cards, astrology, etc.

but then again the same could be said about religion . ...... so as an aetheist i have a fear of becoming religous , so what

should i do .... i know do the opposite of what veale says , go to church , prey to god , sit in a church yard

same meat , just different gravy , ocd is

Edited by legend
Guest heartplace

but then again the same could be said about religion . ...... so as an aetheist i have a fear of becoming religous , so what

should i do .... i know do the opposite of what veale says , go to church , prey to god , sit in a church yard

same meat , just different gravy , ocd is

I have to disagree. While I do think that most religions out there, including Christendom, do more harm than good, I believe that all forms of divination are harmful. There are other ways a person with magical thinking can have effective therapy and exposure done, without even dabbling in the occult.

My avoidance of divination etc. isn't a compulsion. I've always believed it wasn't the right thing for me to get involved in, but I don't believe in this out of fear.

Edited by heartplace

Religion doesn't do harm, that isn't fair, religion helps people, it gives them strength and comfort and peace, religious people are taught kindness, tolerance, no violence, charity and understanding, I know it isn't perfect and the church has some skewed perspectives on things but nothing is perfect. People use religion as an excuse for unpleasant things, if no religion existed then they would use an ideology or some other reason, before religion people waged war and killed and they did in the name of no God. Religion doesn't cause harm, it gives so much hope and peace and comfort and support and love to so many, people.

Guest heartplace

Religion doesn't do harm, that isn't fair, religion helps people, it gives them strength and comfort and peace, religious people are taught kindness, tolerance, no violence, charity and understanding, I know it isn't perfect and the church has some skewed perspectives on things but nothing is perfect. People use religion as an excuse for unpleasant things, if no religion existed then they would use an ideology or some other reason, before religion people waged war and killed and they did in the name of no God. Religion doesn't cause harm, it gives so much hope and peace and comfort and support and love to so many, people.

I don't mean all religions are harmful. Just most of them. I believe there is good in some religion out there, just not in the majority. A lot of churches are responsible for the wars going on right now, for example.

I agree about the good things religion can bring a person. I've been raised in a religious family and I'm religious myself. I'm just saying that a lot a religions these days are full of hypocrisy, dishonesty and other things that shouldn't be in religion.

Edited by heartplace

The wars are not waged by God they are waged by people, without God they would find another excuse. The church isn't always right but God is. Religion is a difficult subject but really it shouldn't be as everyone should be entitled to there faith or lack of without have it criticized or demeaned.

Guest heartplace

The wars are not waged by God they are waged by people, without God they would find another excuse. The church isn't always right but God is. Religion is a difficult subject but really it shouldn't be as everyone should be entitled to there faith or lack of without have it criticized or demeaned.

I didn't mean God causes them, I agree people wage them. And yes he is always right. I respect the fact that others are entitled to their own beliefs, I'm just expressing my own.