FEAR of opening up? Anyone In london looking to grab a cuppa? New opportunity

Guest pollyanna1980

Guest pollyanna1980

Hi Guys..

who would be up for meeting for coffee/tea? Or generally just hanging out.

I have a hard time telling people about my obsessive thoughts through fear of being judged. I guess there is a sense of shame involved,. Its seems like the last hurdle to overcome for me. I can speak to a few about it in its most creative form and a few just know I have intrusive thoughts.

Ideally for me I want to get to a place where I can talk openly and frankly about this to most people.. especially close friends and family. But I cant yet. Not fully.

I am put off by OCD support groups as they can tend me be/ but in no direct way.. Kinda reassuring (as we know THIS IS NOT what we need) And I myself are stringent to sticking to the hard work and challenges as and when they arise..

What I want to propose to meeting up, getting to know people (as friends would), but yet we can talk frankly about our OCD's without fear of judgement. BUT I want to add that this is most definitely NOT a support group and our OCD will not dominate conversation. Its more about getting to know people but if and when the topic arises you can honestly and frankly discuss our OCD.

So anyone who lives in London around my 34..who fancies grabbing a coffee (i dont drink coffee) but tea I do!.. Then I think it would be a great opportunity to not only make friends with like minded people,

Again.. this isnt a meet up designed to wallow or seek reassurance . Its about making new friends essentially and if and when the conversation arises.. The youre voice will be heard

If you think this is a great idea let me know

I guess for me.. After a while Ill have the confidence to be more open about mine .. And make new friends in the process

My interests: , Veggieness, music - reggae, eco enviromental warrior, mediation, walking, spirituality.. hiphop, sewing, hippie spirit,

Pollyanna

Polly you can easily do this.

If you haven't become a full memer of this charity maybe do so. (Can't see if you are - I am on my mobile). Then you willl be eligible to go along to the OCD-UK london support group which meets in a room at the university.

Next meeting is two weeks.

Forum rules do not recommend the forum members meeting up other than at a function such as that

Edited by taurean

Really taurean? i didnt know that . Me and my husband met up with a lovely couple Whos husband is on here -superblade and they live all the way in bakewell ! it was so lovely to met after chatting and speaking to someone else with ocd . We regulary talk on facebook now and if the oportunity came up again we would certainly being catching up with them . whats the reason do you know?

I have met many from the forums and other places . And all done through a strict approach.

Its down to choice , but something the charity doesnt advocate , and rightly so .

Really taurean? i didnt know that . Me and my husband met up with a lovely couple Whos husband is on here -superblade and they live all the way in bakewell ! it was so lovely to met after chatting and speaking to someone else with ocd . We regulary talk on facebook now and if the oportunity came up again we would certainly being catching up with them . whats the reason do you know?

I think it is quite right to recommend that forum members only consider making contact in a controlled and safe environment. As a former risk manager I can wholeheartedly endorse this. And of course this forum - as opposed to the private member forums - is accessible to the world live on the internet.

Fortunately there are plenty of opportunities to do this through the OCD-UK events. It is my intention in any case to go to the next London support group meeting - for the first time in my adult life I am not working and travelling crazy hours and can contemplate doing that.thanks Eddy for clarifying that non-members can also attend - makes sense as they need the community contact.

I'm also booked into the OCD-UK conference in Nottingham.I have not visited Nottingham probably since 1980.

So I'll be meeting a goodly number of forum colleagues through that method. We can share our true identities in a safe way, and if we wish to continue to communicate individually afterwards - and I hope we do - it can be our choice to take the connection further and share information.

whats the reason do you know?

From a point of view of personal safety (not because of any liability) When people post on an open forum none of us really have an accurate idea of who we are talking to and there can be potential dangers from meeting up with a stranger on our own. In 99% of cases I'm sure things will be fine but you just cannot be sure. That's why we recommend contact via OCD-UK events, camping trips, support groups or formal meet ups arranged with the knowledge of the charity. Once those contacts/friendships have been made in a safe environment then it's fine to meet up whenever you wish.

Clearly we can only advise but would always ask people to be very cautious for their own safety.

Caramoole :)

I am put off by OCD support groups as they can tend me be/ but in no direct way.. Kinda reassuring (as we know THIS IS NOT what we need) And I myself are stringent to sticking to the hard work and challenges as and when they arise..

What I want to propose to meeting up, getting to know people (as friends would), but yet we can talk frankly about our OCD's without fear of judgement. BUT I want to add that this is most definitely NOT a support group and our OCD will not dominate conversation. Its more about getting to know people but if and when the topic arises you can honestly and frankly discuss our OCD.

My interests: , Veggieness, music - reggae, eco enviromental warrior, mediation, walking, spirituality.. hiphop, sewing, hippie spirit,

Pollyanna

Hi Pollyanna,

I have similar feelings & some regarding support groups. I have also always felt a bit uneasy about meeting up with others in my vicinity tbh, because I feel there is a kind of two way responsibility that needs to be adhered to regarding information discussed on here & it a bit like data protection with regards to patient confidentiality, if that makes sense?

I have only really ever wanted to meet up with one other person on the forums, & that was a female on here who strangely happens to have literally word for word the exact same weird multiple themes as me going on? She comes out with huge amounts of logic/sense, & has made good headway with her OCD, & I find her very inspirational & I just thought it would be good to get some 1 to 1 insight into her physical mind-set, as opposed to text on a screen. Whilst on this possibly related matter, did you really mean to write the word 'mediation'? It is just that she spelt 'meditation' the exact same way because of a typo. lol

Pollyanna, I like your list of interests! I prefer seeing cows chewing & mooing, but have to confess to being a meat eater. I am a 40+ walker, who is also very much into a whole range of nature/outdoorsy type stuff. Do be careful, because yeah, you could literally have anyone turn up, & make sure you meet up in the daytime in a public place & so on.

All the best.

x

If you wanted to get to meet others in your local area, perhaps like-minded members could suggest a meet up or event on the forum. Formalise it a bit, get several people together who are interested and see if between you you can organise a small group event (safety in numbers and all that). I know many have attended Stephens camping weekends and forged friendships from that. Could be a meal out, a coffee club, a weekend event, a dinner...whatever....but do it safely, publicly and with others.

Having established safe friendships from known sources, then you can move on if that's what's wanted.....and group meet ups let you establish just who you might get on with. It's important that you all consider personal safety....it's something we'd hammer home to youngsters but is something we should all remember and apply to ourselves.

....and for those who can get there, there's always the conference in Nottingham Nov 1st

Caramoole

Guest pollyanna1980

Pollyanna where are you in London ? I'm just outside London in Epping . It would be nice to get a few of us locals together

Im in South..

Let me know if you fancy meeting one time for coffee/tea

PM me. ;)