Irrational or Silly Thought Log - Let's have them

Thing is it happened to me once in the first week in my new house I was decorating in the front room right in front of the Windows up a ladder and I didn't realise my zip had bust and I was open right in front of my new street, nearly sided with embarrassment but I can laugh about it now, I think that's why that thought flashes in my mind sometimes ! :)

Thing is it happened to me once in the first week in my new house I was decorating in the front room right in front of the Windows up a ladder and I didn't realise my zip had bust and I was open right in front of my new street, nearly sided with embarrassment but I can laugh about it now, I think that's why that thought flashes in my mind sometimes ! :)

Oh dear! :) lol :)

If it makes you feel better I once accidentally opened the toilet door on a train while I was sat on it, so the whole train saw me in all my glory... I can laugh about it now, just! The irony was I was trying to check the door was locked at the time... Maybe that's where my checking OCD has come from! (Joke :) )

What if I forget my name and address (at the doctors reception desk)

What if I jumped over that wall into someones garden

What if my leg forgot how to walk

Looking at a picture of Michael Buerke (I'm a Celeb) in his trunks, my eyes strayed to his crotch :shy: I've admitted that one because I noticed I did it (and I don't fancy him of course) but there are lots of OCD sufferers who torment themselves by noticing something like that when in fact it's quite a normal reaction :lol:

Caramoole :bag:

• 3 years later...

There is no limit to the silly intrusions we can experience. 

My favourite goes back to my days as a choirboy, when - for no rational reason, and no magical thinking negative consequence - I was scared if I caught sight of the Parish Church spire at night. 

Now this was even more silly because I had been in the church choir there for a while and in that role was very comfortable in and familiar with the church. And I loved the architecture of that spire so much that I had drawn it for an art project. 

So,when I stopped to consider this, I realised just how completely silly being frightened of seeing the spire at night was ; started to deliberately look at it - and the intrusive thought just faded away. 

On 17/11/2014 at 13:44, Caramoole said:

What if I told one of my neighbours that he's a horrible person (when he shouted Hello)

I can't stop chuckling at the image of this :D I get similar to these.  Often I think I might punch my (very nice indeed) neighbour when I see him in the street.

I remember wanting to pull the alarm (communication - to the driver - cord)  on trains when I was a kid. 

I really had the urge to do it, and if I had it would have been considered a criminal offence, and caused delay to many, so how silly is that?

As it happened, my father-in-law did do this when he got stuck on a train seeing my wife off after she had been visiting. 

He got threatened with action by the train company. I got free legal advice via an extension to my insurance policy - which calmed him and my wife down - and he heard nothing more. 

I now realise my intrusion was an OCD one - and I had dealt with it in exactly the right way. Not focused on it and steered my attention elsewhere. 

Edited by taurean

"What if I'm knit picky/have this a certain way? What does this mean? What if that's OCD & I never properly recover and I am sick for the rest of my life?"

"What if my therapist did it this way & now I'm being difficult by not doing exposures the way they want & now I'm going to be mental forever & never amount to anything??!!"

"What if I never recover?"

"OH NO. I just did a compulsion. Do I reverse it? Sit with it? Try not to do it again? Let it go? Oh no, what am I supposed to do?!!! I'm going to be sick forever!"

...and the list continues.

I hate this illness.

8 hours ago, saddaniels said:

"What if I'm knit picky/have this a certain way? What does this mean? What if that's OCD & I never properly recover and I am sick for the rest of my life?"

"What if my therapist did it this way & now I'm being difficult by not doing exposures the way they want & now I'm going to be mental forever & never amount to anything??!!"

"What if I never recover?"

"OH NO. I just did a compulsion. Do I reverse it? Sit with it? Try not to do it again? Let it go? Oh no, what am I supposed to do?!!! I'm going to be sick forever!"

...and the list continues.

I hate this illness.

These are the normal "OCD" thoughts and doubts we experience. Horrible, aren't they?  The thread is really trying to show how many random, bizarre thoughts cross our minds every day that are odd but don't cause any distress.  We just filter them out because they aren't intrusive or distressing

I am under doctors orders to lose 8kg in weight. 

I had the thought that if I just ease down portions, and walk a bit more that will do it! 

Silly me - that in itself won't do it - it's also about what is eaten, how frequently, and how much exercise we take. 

Looked at in terms of a (10kg) dumbbell at the gym, 8 kg doesn't seem much - but the only way we lose weight is to stop storing more energy we aren't using into fat, and having to burn up energy from those fat stores because we are not taking on enough. 

So it's a co-ordinated effort of content portions frequency and exercise that will win the day. Not any silly thoughts that it will be quick and easy :)

I often worry I will write something offensive on paperwork when I am at work, or accidently say something inappropriate that will get me sacked. 

Also I worry sometimes about forgetting how to drive - even though I have been driving for a tad over 20 years, I start to worry my feet will forget which pedals to press. !

Thoughts are just thoughts and will drop into our minds, and strange, clearly silly, connections will be made. 

This is, as Caramoole says, normal. 

They only become a problem if a certain 3-letter acronym grabs hold and turns them into something that sticks and raises threat fear or revulsion, causing a compulsion response and distress. 

I once had the thought that I would be tremendously successful, make absolutely pots of money and retire at fifty. That is pretty silly, and maybe I was, and maybe still am, a weany bit too confident :)

7 hours ago, Caramoole said:

These are the normal "OCD" thoughts and doubts we experience. Horrible, aren't they?  The thread is really trying to show how many random, bizarre thoughts cross our minds every day that are odd but don't cause any distress.  We just filter them out because they aren't intrusive or distressing

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize we were joking about OCD.

28 minutes ago, saddaniels said:

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize we were joking about OCD.

Hi Saddaniels

We're not really joking about OCD either, although some of the thoughts are quite funny :)  The object of the exercise is to show how many silly, bizarre, random thoughts actually do float through our brains every day and most of them we don't give a toss about, don't have any anxiety about, largely because we give them no reaction.  These aren't obsessive or intrusive thoughts but they are something we all experience on a daily basis.  Can you perhaps think of silly thoughts that pass through your mind that don't cause you distress?

Oh, I see.

Well, I have alot of them I guess. Haha. I'm usually paying attention to thoughts OCD gives me nowadays, but I guess some would be when I try to greet people and they ignore me I think "Wow what a b****." Or when I have a customer at my retail job I'll think "This place has ugly clothes. Why do people shop in here?"

Or if someone is being mean I'll think "Who s*** in their Cheerios?"

I guess another one would be "If it we're legal to marry my cat, I'd marry my cat. He understands me more than most people."

These thoughts could just make me a weird person I don't know haha.

They are just general silliness that happens. 

I don’t tend to get many as it happens, but I understand where you are coming from re the cat. 

My fondly remembered cat Edward took his devotion to me so seriously that he would wait on the gatepost watching for me to come home, and didn't trust the alarm clock - he would personally come and wake me up by dabbing at my shoulder till I woke. 

I wore the ongoing "stigmata" in terms of claw marks for that for a long time after he passed away.