sexual/violent intrusive thoughts

Guest PalaeontologyLover

Guest PalaeontologyLover

Does anyone else get these? They're really troubling to me, I get intrusive thoughts surrounding incest and stabbing people. Anyone got any advice? They're completely crippling me, they've ruined my life

Yes, it's relatively common. I'm suffering dreadfully at the moment and dealing with it very badly. I got really drunk last night just so I could have a little escapism, which has obviously made today a whole lot worse. It can be beaten though. Try and stay strong.

Guest brian36

Yes yes yes all the time. Not as much with the knifes at the mo, propably will now. Unwanted sexual tjoughts I get them all the time not mega loads as I do with the loosing control thoughts of hitting people, this 1 does my head in because it sticks like glue.

Guest brian36

With the sexual tjoughts I just shake my head and say you self., it's just a thought it's my ocd trying to hatch on to it. I can sort of master that. But can't seem to master the violent 1. I,m doing something wrong but I can't explain what. For it to keep coming back.

Guest PalaeontologyLover

I'm really lost for what to do because, what with the nature of the thoughts, I'm avoiding family and it's really destroying my relationships with my family, I just want to go back to how it used to be before this obsession started, when I could just be at home without being riddled with anxiety. I don't know what to do. I'm getting help but I'm still avoiding family

Your thoughts, horribly, tend to be around the people you love the most, which makes it so much harder. Avoidance isn't really the best coping technique in my opinion. I find that once I put myself in the situation, then it's not as bad as I think it might be.

Guest brian36

Yes I had it against my mum. My daughter which was worse. I feared my mum my daughter. You have to face the situation and ride it out and keep doing it until you will see progress. I did. You can't avoid your family.

Guest PalaeontologyLover

I'm trying to not but its so difficult. I'm hoping when my meds go into full swing I might be able to deal with the situation better, I haven't seen my dad in about 5 weeks now :( I've been on sertraline a little shy of 4 weeks now so hopefully they'll come into full effect shortly

Guest dimmerswitch

under any circumstances, never engage with the thoughts or try to reason why you had, or are having them. This attaches some sort of importance to them which of course is ridiculous.

Next time you have an intrusive thought of any kind (no matter how distressing) laugh to yourself, giggle about it, feel proud you thought of it. Seriously, try it. IT WORKS.

This will help diminish how you feel/react to the thoughts.

Seek out CBT asap, this helps so much in dealing with OCD.

Guest PalaeontologyLover

Yeah I've got an appointment on the 2nd for CBT therapy. It's just trying to manage in the meantime. My thoughts have gotten a lot better as I've been seeing my local crisis team which has helped a bit but I still can't bring myself to see my family, im trying to tell myself I'll do it when I'm ready but I dunno if this is avoidance or not

im trying to tell myself I'll do it when I'm ready but I dunno if this is avoidance or not

It most certainly is :(

You need to work out a plan of exposure where you do see these family members despite the anxiety it causes. You can run but you can't hide....as the saying goes. Medication may help somewhat but it won't get rid of the thoughts or stop them happening, ultimately repeated exposure is the answer.

Caramoole

As Caramoole said, avoiding your family is the wrong thing to do. It's a compulsion and only makes the situation worse.

You have to learn to be around your family despite the anxiety you might feel. Over time your anxiety will go down on its own.

Sexual and harm thoughts are two big categories of OCD. There's lots and lots of people who have those kinds of obsessions.

Yeah it is :(

I want to stay away sometimes, but when I was forced to when I t when I told support team my thoughts and I was made to stay away it made things so much worse. I know you are staying away as your probably worried you are going to do the things you are thinking of but th only way you'll get over this is too be with your family, I know it's hard but it's true

Guest PalaeontologyLover

I know I get what you're all saying its just so difficult, I really want to try believe me. Its just I'm going on to have to stay over night and I can just see me being awake all night with anxiety and it's so bad :(

Guest PalaeontologyLover

I think maybe I'll put a plan in place to go round the weekend after I start CBT. I dont really want to go round during the week in case it interferes with my studies. I find my siblings a calming influence, it's mainly my dad I feel anxious around so maybe ill get my younger sister to come with me and see if my littlest brother is there, he's only 10 so it's always fun. Right now I'm having quite an anxious night in general so I'm thinking maybe put these thoughts away til the morning. I'm really struggling to sleep at the moment my anxiety and thoughts seem to be worst at night and i need to find a strategy to cope at night, I've thought about sleepers but I really don't want to become reliant on them if I'm already on medication. Just realised I'm rambling a bit lol.