Do I really hate this or is it a fixation by OCD

Guest Orwell1984

Guest Orwell1984

I recently have become to feel disgust towards fatness. When I see certain shows on tv (storage hunters for example) I feel absolute disgust and anger towards the fat people on that show. I will not range the thoughts and intense feelings that go through my head and body but it has made me wonder am I an intolerant person, is this OCD related (because I fear I am on the road to becoming fat and am terrified of being fat and depressed and all the other connotations) or are these feelings real and part of me? Part of my natural character? Does that make me a bad intolerant person? I somehow have equated fat with poor hygiene, stupidity, evolutionary regression and all these factors are things I want to stay absolutely away from.

Please do not judge me for this, but I really need to know and prevent this from intensifying in whichever way that will be most therapeutic for OCD. How can I become a tolerant person if this is just a horrible facet of my personality? I am worried about posting this topic but I have to because I want to resolve this.

Guest imalright

It might be linked to your OCD....? I'm not expert enough to know. I think I shall leave that to other, more experienced forum members.

However....you're in a great position right now regardless. You have self awareness of this issue....you want to find out and want to resolve it.

Good on you :-)x

Guest Orwell1984

I hope it's just (now doubting do I or don't I hope) a strange OCD obsession. I think I am so used to the other 'themes' as being OCD maybe my brain threw a spanner in the works. I hope anyway. I hope I'm not turning into a person with a character flaw of intolerance that I would despise seeing in another person. I hope somebody answers but I am grateful for your reply imalright :) thankyou

Yes I can totally relate as I do this and it's only since having OCD, it's not just larger people either, it can be how people dress the sound of their voice even the way they walk and any other 'imperfections' as I see them as.

The thing is I'm really very accepting naturally no matter what.

Treat it as an obsession!

Guest Orwell1984

Thank you so much for your reply. I will treat these thoughts as obsessions! Maybe I will feel less frustrated and disgusted over time. This disorder seems to have no limit to its spread. Oh well, it will surely move onto something else

I would say that worrying you are intolerant is a compulsion/obsession. And emotional intolerances are not the same as judgements.

It's a fairly normal response in most people. Obesity is not something we are wired to be attracted to, though the opposite. We are wired to be attracted to signs of health and virility, even if most of that is subconscious. Fitness, youthfulness, strength and various other subtle things. Even specific shapes and ratios of measurements etc. You could say it's 'superficial' though it's wired into us as a natural thing for better survival and evolutionary reasons.

So most people would find too much fat on the body as unattractive and something better to be gotten rid of, especially on themselves. If that wasn't normal then the diet industry wouldn't be a multi billion dollar industry!

Though your intense emotional reactions are likely an exaggerated over response. It is common in people with OCD to over generalize things including over generalizing associations and associated traits or categories etc. So yeah you're more likely to think about stereotypes cause your mind is set to over generalize categorizations of information and compartmentalizing. As they say we think very black and white or black and grey!

The other thing that is common in OCD is heightened disgust propensity and disgust sensitivity. Things that are out of harmony to health or out of harmony to the senses, visual or auditory etc. I have this and am very visually sensitive and auditory. I have what they are calling "misophonia" (ie. hatred of sound). Not that I hate all sound, though anything non harmonious I feel intolerant to. Screaming, coughing, sneezing, any weird throat or nasal noises, accents I find unpleasant, languages that are very nasally, throaty or sound like they're underwater! All those things!

You could become more desensitized by exposure and putting up with the feelings and irritation or whatever. I'm not as sensitized as many others with misophonia cause I don't very often avoid situations or places with irritating sounds, I simply get irritated though don't avoid the irritation. I have over time also increased my tolerance to fat on people by finding out more information about the causes and how much of it really is not in their direct control. It's not all a matter of laziness or eating too much etc. Often it is genes, hormone disregulation, neurotransmitter issues, insulin, thyroid etc. many causes.

Guest Orwell1984

Hi ADD. I've never heard of misophonia before but I can relate to the effects you have mentioned! I am sensitised and get irritated by people coughing (I notice that lots of people seem to join in coughing when one person starts), heavy breathing (related to the fat people thing again), Clipped consonant sounds and emphasis on 'S'. Oh well!! Just gotta put up and shut up :p I don't usually avoid but feel a great pull to avoid or make the person stop what they are doing. Looking forward to the end process of sorting out my OCD so stuff like this will not flag up anymore :)