Refocusing From OCD Intrusions Onto Something Nice

I had a great time this summer around half the week plus the weekend.

Two days a week i was working remotely from home, often from a shady place in the garden on laptop and mobile. And at weekends i would do a lot of gardening.

The neighbours cats would join me, occaskionall y my wife would visit . Sometimes 2 or 3 cats would be in different parts of the garden.

Its good to use images and memories like this as a refocus - coupled if we like with some breathing meditation whilst in a safe environment - like sitting in a chair or lying on a bed - not driving or operating machinery or other activity.

What nice scenes do others have which they can use in this way?

Guest Charlotte

There's a mindfulness technique that I use when really anxious - I try to observe five things that I can see, four that I can hear, three that I can feel, two that I can smell and one that I can taste. It's very quick but can be done anywhere.

I am wary of using refocussing too much - it's important to feel that anxiety, and whatever you do to refocus can transform itself into a compulsion. Anxiety is a nasty feeling, but it's just that... a feeling. It's important to be able to sit with it and know that it doesn't do harm.

Lottie :)

My exposure plan now is to carry a little card with two letters that trigger me and have a chime on my phone that goes off every hour to remind me to look at it and think the thought I want to avoid for about 15 seconds or so. Then in between just go back to what I'm doing and say if I'm in work and I start to feel overwhelmed then do something more pleasurable like go and get some coffee, go for a walk in the fresh air etc. but only if I'm struggling since feeling the anxiety is the whole point :)

Chris

There's a mindfulness technique that I use when really anxious - I try to observe five things that I can see, four that I can hear, three that I can feel, two that I can smell and one that I can taste. It's very quick but can be done anywhere.

I am wary of using refocussing too much - it's important to feel that anxiety, and whatever you do to refocus can transform itself into a compulsion. Anxiety is a nasty feeling, but it's just that... a feeling. It's important to be able to sit with it and know that it doesn't do harm.

Lottie :)

Those are good Lottie but I'd probably look to spread them out and shallow my breathing when doing them.

The refocusing, like labelling, has its fans and detractors - I definitely sit in the fan camp.

One thing I would do when getting a bit stressed or anxious at work would be to get up and go for a walk . I could actually leave the office to do this (if I wished) at any time as I had an outside role, but often i would just walk around the office, read the noticeboards, have a cup of a drink - and look to just be relaxed as I walked - untensing muscles.

For others, meditating with deep breathing in a safe environment is good to relax, and just imagining oneself as relaxed as an empty sock is good. Or a sleeping cat. Pick up a sleeping cat and it sags in the middle it's so relaxed.

My exposure plan now is to carry a little card with two letters that trigger me and have a chime on my phone that goes off every hour to remind me to look at it and think the thought I want to avoid for about 15 seconds or so. Then in between just go back to what I'm doing and say if I'm in work and I start to feel overwhelmed then do something more pleasurable like go and get some coffee, go for a walk in the fresh air etc. but only if I'm struggling since feeling the anxiety is the whole point :)

Chris

That's a good one Chris.

Mindfulness is a state wherein we just "be" in the moment without fear uoset distress we are calm and focused.

In this state our mind and body tend to operate in a calm and relaxed way. Modern CBT looks to use exposure and mindfulness tools with a view to restoring this state.