5 Years on and no ocd !

Hi

Some of you may remember me from years gone by!! I thought I would give you a total success story

My daughter Lorna was diagnosed with ocd when she was 10, her symptoms had been on and off since she was 6 years old, and I remember trying to stop myself thinking it was ocd (my ex husband has ocd aswell) but eventually had to face the fact it seemed like it was - and a trip to the psychiatrist and a diagnosis was done of ocd and high functioning autism.

We started therapy with two psychologists who were amazingly helpful and supportive to me aswell. And last time I updated Lorna had started to take tentative steps to fight back against ocd and was doing well

Lorna is a shy but reasonably confident nearly 15 year old, she has a wide circle of friends and is very popular. She is doing very well at school and ocd is not on the agenda, its been years since she has had any issues with ocd. The autism still causes a few problems but she is learns from these experiences and moves forward.

It can be done, if you had told me five years ago that Lorna would be the person she is today, I would have never believed you, so it can happen. I had amazing support from people on this forum too, that helped me through some very tough times.

For those that remmeber my posts about my ex husband, he has been quite unwell but a few months ago unfortunately became so low he took an overdose, but he phoned me to tell me - a few months down the line he is fighting back against his ocd and is taking the therapy seriously, realising he has a second chance at life now.

Take care x

I wasn't on here when you were, but I'd like to wish you, your daughter & your ex all the best!

It's great to hear of someone overcoming their OCD! That's great news! :original:

All the best for the future :original:

We were very lucky, the right care, at the right time - unfortunately a lot of times it doesnt happen like that, but it shows that if the right care is given when the sufferer is young, then it can be overcome thanks x

Mel I am so thrilled for you and can't believe even your ex is fighting back!

Lorna sounds a lovely young lady and I hope you now have time for yourself too.

I was only thinking of you yesterday and here you are bringing great news, which will give hope to so many :)

Carol x

Guest legend

Hi Mel.

Of course I remember xx

Fantastic news re L. and you should be proud of yourself to as you've played your part to

Hopefully things for ex will improve to

Ash xx

Hi Mel

How amazing to hear from you and to hear that Lorna is so well - that's fantastic.

You might remember myself and Tony from the camping trip in the New Forest several years ago now! I would guess that Lorna was perhaps 8 or 9 then?

I have also been incredibly lucky and am virtually OCD-free. I've been back to work now for 4 years after being out of work for 8 years courtesy of the OCD.

Sorry to hear that your ex-hubby is still so poorly. I hope all goes well for him - it sounds like he might be on a good path.

Take care

whitebeam

Hi guys, aww so nice to hear from you too - Whitebeam, thats amazing, yes of course I remember you and your lovely hubby from the camping trip - the takeaway in the dark :) and the random horse deciding to steal sugar from a tent lol - im so thrilled for you :)

Legend - thanks me dear for your support xx

Carol - thanks hon, miss our chats!! She is a lovely young lady, sweet and kind but a go getter, she wants to be a teacher and is mostly A's at school its amazing! She is doing a week of work experience in May, something a few years ago that she would never do, but shes so enthusiastic and looking forward to it,

I started back to work 16 months ago part time but went full time for a Housing Association in Customer Service, which is challenging but rewarding as well. Lorna is what used to be called a latch key kid for an hour or so after school something i would never consider before. I do snatch time for myself, I make sure that i am a bit selfish and do something for myself and it helps, i have some amazing work mates, we call each other our 'work family' :) so that's something for me too.

Marc is battling it for the first time in years, we all gave him a good talking to and he is slowly realising that if you dont give in, it does eventually get better, he still has an uphilll road but hasnt sought reassurance from his work colleagues which was what he was doing, since the incident. He feels more positive, his mood is elevated which has helped tremendously.

take care x

Nice to hear from you Mel and I'm thrilled to hear how well Laura is doing, it's fantastic news and she's still only a teenager so things are likely to improve even more so as she gets a bit older.

Sorry to hear about Marc but maybe having got so low he might be ready to fight back. Hopefully he'll be encouraged by Laura's progress as well.

A lovely story to hear

Caramoole :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest worriedmum

I was soooo pleased to read this too! What great news, thank you for sharing such a positive story. I remember how hard things were for you all. My son is also doing pretty well OCD-wise. He's now 16 and OCD wasn't a part of his life for a good few years, although since starting college it's tried to raise its ugly head now and then but he's very quick to recognise it and not give it attention.

Thank you so much for the update. :) Take care.

Guest Sally44

Thanks for posting such a positive outcome. My son is nearly 14 with OCD and autism. I am pushing to get a therapy programme in place in school and at home, which hopefully might happen sometime over the next couple of months.

As your daughter is also on the spectrum was the therapy CBT, or more behavioural therapy? We have been told that our son would not be able to access CBT because of the "cognitive" requirements that he would struggle with due to the ASD. He is average and above IQ [but with severe dyslexia/dyspraxia]. We have been told that he should receive behavioural therapy and supported 1:1 to work on targets to address his OCD.