Does anyone else think everyone elses OCD is stupid?

Guest carlile1980

Guest carlile1980

Hi just putting this out there and by no means trying to belittle are problem but when you read everyone else's post you wonder what your worrying about? RJC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anna24

Yes! I think the theme I have is the absolute worst! Like I would rather anybody else's theme and when people talk about their current theme I'm like "how could you be worried about that/how could you think your a pedo/murderer etc. ??"

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone it's just that my worries just seem so real!

Edited by Anna24
Guest carlile1980

I know are personal OCD is very important to us, I even know that mine is but your mind is such a strong think and how could your own mind possibly play tricks on us? RJC

Our own fears are, for each of us the worse they can be.

I do wonder how people can worry about 'this' or 'that' ........ their fears, to me, are not things to worry about and vice versa.......... but i don't belittle their anxiety, I know their anxiety is the same as mine - devastating.

I am glad that my OCD never revolved around paedophilia or other sexual issues (although I did have a relatively short spell when this did nudge into my OCD) as these issues are so much more difficult to talk about and be open about.

I have and never really had any problems with talking about checking or contamination fears to people I work with and so on - although I didn't really go into details about my issues with using the loo and problems with sitting down because of fearing germs from my bottom - but I would not have so readily talked about more sexually orientated issues.

All our OCD fears are terrible - some are less acceptable.

Edited by whitebeam

I feel the same when I read other people's obsession stories. It's because we are viewing it from an outside perspective without the fear they are going through, so we can easily spot the obsessive thoughts and the obvious compulsions (such as asking for reassurance on this forum) and we think "meh, I would much rather have that than this!" - but others would just say the same about our themes. This is why people say it's not the content of the thoughts that matter with OCD, it's the reaction to them.

I feel that ocd locks onto our fears and personality. If your a good person you find the thoughts horrible and think " how can I be this person" when in reality it's just you fighting not to be this person and that's what ocd wants. It wants you to be scared and your mind knows you fear this the most do it picks on it and adds to it until you believe it.

Not stupid, but i can see streight away its ocd and they have nothing to worry about. Mine however are real and can last years.

Thos is true even with people who have same themes.

I think you have raised an intetesting point here!!!!!

Guest HeadAboveWater

I do often think to myself, ''what in the world is so worrying about that'' or ''this is definitely OCD and there is nothing to worry about'' when reading others posts. But that is how OCD works. We see the issues of others in a completely different light than our own because we are not experiencing their fear. With our issues we are completely tangled and smothered by doubt and anxiety.

Edited by HeadAboveWater

We see the issues of others in a completely different light than our own because we are not experiencing their fear. With our issues we are completely tangled and smothered by doubt and anxiety.

I think that's one of the reasons why people who don't have OCD find the disorder so difficult to understand - to them our fears are either completely irrational or grossly exaggerated.

Just wondered pb what exactly did you go through and what was your worries

I never had any kind of contamination obsessions. I did have about 17 different obsessions to deal with. If I saw a big truck heading toward me on the highway I would get the urge to drive into the front of the truck. I had an awful time in crowds believing I was going to stand up and shout every four-letter word at the crowd. I dealt with almost every kind of harm obsession, including having images of harming others (like pushing people into traffic or smashing people's heads through plate glass windows). The worst was the sexual obsessions, including pedophile obsessions that plagued me since I was a teenager.

How did you get better did it take you a long time

I responded very well to medications. I took a relaxation course (8 sessions) to learn how to relax and use mindfulness. I attended a nine-week course on CBT/ERP. I got educated about OCD and worked hard to overcome the obsessions that meds didn't take care of.

Guest Natz

Hey Joanne,

Anyone can get over ocd, you are strong just don't give up.

Cbt and meds will make it better

Edited by Natz
Guest carlile1980

I have a current fear that I have hurt my baby daughter, I know its **** but its awful every second of the day!! Have had previous thoughts so know what to expect. I couldn't hurt a fly but this OCD is terrible. On meds and is starting CBT again! RJC

Guest Recoveryyy

I don't think the way/s other people's OCD manifests is 'stupid'. However, I often read other people's posts and see the lack of logic their worries have. Sometimes, I think "How can you not see that there's nothing to worry about?" but then I remember that my fears are equally as illogical yet I can't seem to shake mine either.

Guest Tricia

I actually am in tears writing this.

What hope is there with raising awareness when a thread on an OCD forum can have such a title.

I give up. I truly do. How do we expect the wider public to understand when so many fail to understand who have OCD?!!

I've been called stupid and pathetic over the years and on those occasions it was by fellow OCD sufferers...

Hi Tricia

I'm so sorry to hear you're upset - it is really upsetting when people call OCD stupid - but I honestly don't think that's what the original poster meant. I think she was saying that OCD is illogical because it makes us feel like or own fears are so real but others' fears are "obviously OCD". I often read about other people's themes and think "it's so obvious that's OCD" - but I can't apply that logic to myself. I think that was all that was meant. I don't think anybody here thinks any OCD is stupid :) xx

I agree. The choice of words was unfortunate but the thread is really about how people with OCD can 'see' the OCD in others and realize in short order that what the other person is dealing with is illogical. It's obvious to those on the other side.

Guest HeadAboveWater

I agree with Polar and gingerbreadgirl, Tricia. I don't think the original poster meant 'stupid' in the same way you might have taken it. I took it as, believing that others symptoms of OCD are irrational and illogical but seeing our own as something that feels and seems true and could be rational. I sometimes see posts about symptoms of contamination OCD which I don't suffer from and think, ''oh, if only this person could see that their fear is not real and it is not rational then they would be able to escape their hell''. However, with my own OCD I cannot see it that way, as I am stuck in my own bubble of fear and anxiety from my own particular OCD fears.

Tricia, I am sorry you were hurt by this thread but I really don't think it was meant to harm or disgrace the progress OCD sufferers are trying to make with awareness and respect.

I don't laugh at others ocd, because I may have the same habits some day. Judge not .

I don't think for a moment anyone was judging. I think (as others have already said) the O/P was simply saying how much easier it was to identify, how obvious the nonsense in someone else's fears were, whilst not perhaps, so obvious in their own instance.

No-one is laughing or belittling anyone else.....simply pointing out the obvious, that it's easier to identify OCD in someone else other than ourself.......because in observing someone else's OCD, we aren't experiencing the emotions and fear that accompany it. That makes a huge difference.

On a public forum we sometimes just type and hit the "enter" key without considering the nuance of every word we write