How does acceptance work?

Yeah, well, it's a solution. I think it's almost better to think, "I don't care if it's true or not." Be totally apathetic about it. It doesn't matter one way or the other. The trick is to let the thoughts show up in your head without any kind of response from you. Just let them float around and wither away on their own.

Guest Stu.

Yeah, well, it's a solution. I think it's almost better to think, "I don't care if it's true or not." Be totally apathetic about it. It doesn't matter one way or the other. The trick is to let the thoughts show up in your head without any kind of response from you. Just let them float around and wither away on their own.

I would absolutely love to not care, if I didn't care about anything I doubt i'd have ocd, do we have ocd because we care to much about stuff!?

I would absolutely love to not care, if I didn't care about anything I doubt i'd have ocd, do we have ocd because we care to much about stuff!?

We have OCD about a particular thing that feels important to us which is why we react so emotionally. Acceptance isn't about making yourself feel better and getting rid of the anxiety, it's about allowing the anxiety be there and seeing your thoughts for what they are: just thoughts (regardless of the theme). If you feel scared and fearful, register that feeling, embrace it and say to yourself "it's ok to feel like this, it's a normal human emotion" or something like that and resist any compulsive behaviours whilst doing so. :)

We have OCD about a particular thing that feels important to us which is why we react so emotionally. Acceptance isn't about making yourself feel better and getting rid of the anxiety, it's about allowing the anxiety be there and seeing your thoughts for what they are: just thoughts (regardless of the theme). If you feel scared and fearful, register that feeling, embrace it and say to yourself "it's ok to feel like this, it's a normal human emotion" or something like that and resist any compulsive behaviours whilst doing so. :)

Great explanation :)

Acceptance isn't about making yourself feel better, at least not in the short term. It is about training your brain not to see the thought as a threat. By resisting it, you are reinforcing the idea that your brain needs to be on red hot alert. By accepting it, you do the opposite. Eventually, your brain stops seeing the thought as something to be threatened by.

Guest Stu.

Great explanation :)

Acceptance isn't about making yourself feel better, at least not in the short term. It is about training your brain not to see the thought as a threat. By resisting it, you are reinforcing the idea that your brain needs to be on red hot alert. By accepting it, you do the opposite. Eventually, your brain stops seeing the thought as something to be threatened by.

by resisting it you mean trying to avoid it?, not think about it?

by resisting it you mean trying to avoid it?, not think about it?

Be careful not to fall into the trap of not thinking about it...it'll will make you more frustrated. As horrible as it is, you actually want to think about it and when the anxiety hits...avoid compulsions and attempts for reassurance (even mentally). Let the anxiety fade on it's own (and yes, it can take a while). It's very challenging but with practice you definitely get the hang of it. :)